• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ford Mondeo

King Ruba

• 3 months later...

last week I bought a ford mondeo 2003 (2000cc). It is a very comfortable car but keep in mind that spares r scarce and seems to be some what costly (this is the reason why the price is around that range for a that much comfortable vehicle as far as I understood ) as per previous owner but most of the things you can order from ebay (use ebay uk) and get them fixed with a mechanic familiar with ford. Their r couple of mechanics in Piliyandala (Once i get hold of the details i will post here as previous owner will introduce me to those mechanics ). If you have a good budget for maintenance (in case some issue arise) this is a good vehicle to own. But if you consider availability of spares, cost and also second hand market, then go for a well maintained toyota. Specially toyota corolla AE 110 (I also tried initially to find one but it was too difficult to find a quality one)

Edited by rajia

DON'T BUY a Mondeo, IF:

You are a first car buyer (or your previous car was a Maruti)

You don't know how to buy things from eBay

You expect fuel economy more than 6km/l in Colombo traffic

You expect lathe workshops to do repair work

You are not planning to maintain the car on time, every time

You expect to make a profit when you sell it (although I have made a profit with the Mondeo)

You don't know how to reply to retards who ask 'why did u buy a ford?' - my usual reply is - machan, that's my taste. I like my ass to be pampered. Would u like to touch it and see how smooth it is?'

As for your questions - I have answered them here: http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/16984-ford-mondeo-2004/#entry278772

• Like 6

"You don't know how to reply to retards who ask 'why did u buy a ford?' - my usual reply is - machan, that's my taste. I like my ass to be pampered. Would u like to touch it and see how smooth it is?'"

ha ha ..

Some fellows always ask these kind of "stupid" questions.. superb answer machan.. ! :action-smiley-033:

That indeed looks like it's very well kept. Congratulations!

A light polish and a clean-up of the headlights and it'll start looking like it just left the factory. Good luck with the car.

Looks good. Just check for water leaks because I notice the windscreen beading seems to have broken in a couple of places. Sunroof also seems to be slightly gone inside.

Check whether the alloy wheels have a lock nut fixed to them. If so, you must get the key for it (you can't buy it here).

Otherwise you will have to cut the alloy wheel to remove the wheel

The lock nut looks like this:

post-14698-0-63858100-1331485491.jpg

Your car has original alloy wheels so I assume the lock nuts also must be fitted.

Your car is not the Ghia trim so I assume you have the grey radio and a/c surround. Its somewhat flimsy and can break. Also your A/C controls may have got discoloured by now (known issues due to SL weather).

Take the car once to David Pieris (Hyde Park Corner service center) and show it to Caldera. Get an idea on what might need replacement in future.

Order the following stuff off ebay.co.uk whenever you got time. You might need them in the future:

Give low-ball offers to the 'best-offer' ads and see...

(that's all I can remember. just PM me if you need more info)

Note: there are many parts common between Mondeo, Jaguar x-type, Mazda Capella/Tribute/626, Volvo S60. So do your research before you buy parts.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

Looks good. Just check for water leaks because I notice the windscreen beading seems to have broken in a couple of places. Sunroof also seems to be slightly gone inside.

Check whether the alloy wheels have a lock nut fixed to them. If so, you must get the key for it (you can't buy it here).

Otherwise you will have to cut the alloy wheel to remove the wheel

The lock nut looks like this:

post-14698-0-63858100-1331485491.jpg

Your car has original alloy wheels so I assume the lock nuts also must be fitted.

Your car is not the Ghia trim so I assume you have the grey radio and a/c surround. Its somewhat flimsy and can break. Also your A/C controls may have got discoloured by now (known issues due to SL weather).

Take the car once to David Pieris (Hyde Park Corner service center) and show it to Caldera. Get an idea on what might need replacement in future.

Order the following stuff off ebay.co.uk whenever you got time. You might need them in the future:

Give low-ball offers to the 'best-offer' ads and see...

(that's all I can remember. just PM me if you need more info)

Note: there are many parts common between Mondeo, Jaguar x-type, Mazda Capella/Tribute/626, Volvo S60. So do your research before you buy parts.

thank you so much Crosswind for research and finding important things and for useful information too.

I will meet Mr caldera too.

yea your correct the beading, has to be replaced. Sunroof issue was my mistake, it was not properly closed last time by me. i will post a new photo of it.. =)

A/C area also discoloured at the moment and need to replace center dash board as well.

Thank you so much once again for assistance mate =)

Edited by rajia

This is a climate control unit, which is bolt-on to your car. It looks far better than that crappy manual controls that come with the Mondeo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-MK3-2001-2003-HEATER-A-C-AIR-CON-CONTROL-UNIT-/281857952129?hash=item41a00b0981:g:xaEAAOSw2VJVfue7

But actual climate control won't work until you install an auto fan to the cooler, sunload sensor and cabin temperature sensor. You can still use the controls though.

If you are interested, you can do a full climate control conversion of the car for about 15000 rupees.

Controller above - about 20 pounds (I bought the same controller for 1 pound postage few years ago. if you keep lurking on eBay, u can find for cheap)

Sunload sensor (you might need to buy the dash vent with it) - another 20 pounds

Cabin temperature sensor - may be 10 pounds

Auto Blower fan (note- you need to get the auto one not the manual one) - another 10 pounds

How to do it is here: FordWiki

Total would be less than 15,000LKR even if you pay for labour and postage. Because I didn't have to spend for both, the whole effort cost me maybe 2000-2500 bucks.

Edited by Crosswind

Nice car bro.

I also had a Ford Mondeo Giha model as my 1st car. It was a Maronish Red with Climate control AC and Sony indash 6CD changer etc.

didn't had any major repairs for the 2 years other than AC condenser repair, some belts, Battery and radiator horse. .

Awesome ride that was and yes i too sold it for profit. :)