• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Cvt Gear Box, Pls Help

Winchestar

Hi experts,

I'm planning to buy a YOM 2003/4 Honda City/ Fit Aria

As they both have a CVT gear box, which are known for major issues due to poor maintenance, I wolud like to know how to check the condition of the CVT gear box before buying the car. Most of the sellers don't have any maintainance records.

Thanks in advance .

Hi experts,

I'm planning to buy a YOM 2003/4 Honda City/ Fit Aria

As they both have a CVT gear box, which are known for major issues due to poor maintenance, I wolud like to know how to check the condition of the CVT gear box before buying the car. Most of the sellers don't have any maintainance records.

Thanks in advance .

Get it checked by agents? I think Sta**ord does.

The proper, scientific way would be to get it tested by agents.

You can check for the most common issue with this CVT box (aka the "Honda Shudder') by having the car idle on a road (preferably on an uphill climb), and then floor the accelerator at once. Basically check if it vibrates or shudders when accelerating from a dead stop.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, I'm also going to buy a Fit Aria (GD8).

Apart from the procedure mentioned above, what are the other things I can do to check the gear box condition by my self. without taking the car to the agent?

And also what about the spare part availability for this model. I have found that most of the spare parts shops even at panchikawatta don't do Honda. My current car is Honda city type z 2001 and had few troubles with finding spare parts.

Appreciate if someone can help.

On 19/02/2018 at 9:52 AM, ThushanthaSrimal said:

Hi guys, I'm also going to buy a Fit Aria (GD8).

Apart from the procedure mentioned above, what are the other things I can do to check the gear box condition by my self. without taking the car to the agent?

And also what about the spare part availability for this model. I have found that most of the spare parts shops even at panchikawatta don't do Honda. My current car is Honda city type z 2001 and had few troubles with finding spare parts.

Appreciate if someone can help.

The first thing you can do is check for maintenance records to make sure transmission oil has been changed on time, with the proper type of oil.  Issues with the transmission might not be that obvious during a test drive unless you push the car a bit. The things to look for (other than the ones stated above) are rattles and jerks during acceleration and slowing down. It's quite normal in some CVTs for there to be a faint rattle, but excessive rattle and vibration isn't normal.

8 hours ago, Davy said:

The first thing you can do is check for maintenance records to make sure transmission oil has been changed on time, with the proper type of oil.  Issues with the transmission might not be that obvious during a test drive unless you push the car a bit. The things to look for (other than the ones stated above) are rattles and jerks during acceleration and slowing down. It's quite normal in some CVTs for there to be a faint rattle, but excessive rattle and vibration isn't normal.

thank u very much dude...

How can I find the exact suitable cvt oil type other than asking from a service center?

Can't find service manual on the internet. 

14 minutes ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

thank u very much dude...

How can I find the exact suitable cvt oil type other than asking from a service center?

Can't find service manual on the internet. 

The agent should be able to let you know the recommended oil.