• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Civic 2003 Sluggish Acceleration

topgear

Hi guys,

I got a Civic 2003 ES8 with a D15 motor.

As of recently, the car's acceleration has been pretty sluggish and it tended to kind of miss at times.

Since this morning, when I press on the gas, it just seems to rev to 2500rpm or so and then drop, and then rev again and likewise. Even when I floor the pedal it's the same. The car barely moves and the engine keeps knocking. So since I had to drive it, I've been very light footed on the gas and been driving at about 10 00pm which really got me nowhere on time!

Has anyone experienced this before? Please let me know what this could be.

Thanks folks!

Guys thanks for all your tips and advice.

I noticed the following:

• I do not experience this issue on a cold start or the first few KMs of driving. It come's after driving for at least 15-20 minutes or sometimes even longer.
  • It comes sooner if I'm heavy on the ccelerator.
  • I changed the spark plugs, tappet packing (coz if was leaking oil), timing belt, atf and engine oil berely 1000kms ago. I did face this issue before also but I thought this should fix it. Appreabtly, it didnt.
  • The check engine light never came on so I doubt ECU is in failsafe mode.
  • Engine temperature gaugue shows consistant reading within acceptable levels.

So for an issue that comes only after driving a while, what could be the most likely cause?

Should I be worried about my gear box? :-O

Guys thanks for all your tips and advice.

I noticed the following:

• I do not experience this issue on a cold start or the first few KMs of driving. It come's after driving for at least 15-20 minutes or sometimes even longer.
  • It comes sooner if I'm heavy on the ccelerator.
  • I changed the spark plugs, tappet packing (coz if was leaking oil), timing belt, atf and engine oil berely 1000kms ago. I did face this issue before also but I thought this should fix it. Appreabtly, it didnt.
  • The check engine light never came on so I doubt ECU is in failsafe mode.
  • Engine temperature gaugue shows consistant reading within acceptable levels.

So for an issue that comes only after driving a while, what could be the most likely cause?

Should I be worried about my gear box? :-O

Mine also had a similar kind of issue and found out the TPS sensor is malfunction. just check your TPS and MAFS from a mechanic..

I've given the car to replace the fuel pump. Will let you know if this was the case :-)

Correct approach is to first check the pressure and then replace the pump.

Edited by Rumesh88

You said " I do not experience this issue on a cold start" .......

so if i were u, will concentrate engine only,

so SCAN it !!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner guys.

My gamble worked out - since replacing the fuel pump, I have not experienced this issue again.

I do however feel that I need to have a tuneup as the acceleration and throttle response can improve.

Thanks for all the support!