• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Car For 1.3M - 1.4M

Shayne

Question

Hey guys..im a newbie to auto lanka forum as well as to vehicles..so bare my lack of knowledge in this area...I did some searching about cars for my above budget and came up
with few choices..but I need further guidance from experienced..so I came here :) ...
anyway..my budget is between 1.3M - 1.4M as topic says..i would prefer a saloon type basically to travel with my family..Car will not be my daily driver for work..and mostly
I will be using it for journeys and other occasions..(I'm letting you know these details so you can have a better idea what kind of fuel economy would be good for me)...
I came with several options...please help me to choose which one is better..anything else apart from the list..
Nissan FB14(1997 - 1999)
Nissan Pulsar
Nissan Primera(1997 - 1999)
Mazda Familia (2000)
Honda City(2000)

My expectations
*Good fuel economy(since I will use it for journeys and long trips)
*Avg. priced spare parts
*Overall good looking solid car
*Around 1,500cc
*Automatic
I had Nissan Cefiro in mind too but got to know from several thread in here that Nissan Cefiro is very bad for fuel economy..Mazda Familia and Honda City have better looks comparing to other types..I've got to know that they do less fuel economy and spare parts are pricier
i know I cannot afford a lot for my tight budget..or a car with very good fuel consumption...but I hope I will be able to find a proper one with your guys' help! :)

Thanks in advance!

you should not worry too much about fuel efficiency as this is not a daily driver - most cars do well on fuel on long distance trips. Hence don't discount the cefiro it will do fairly well on a long distance trip - you'll love the power of the 2000 cc engine and it's a very comfy car.

out of the cars you've mentioned i'll order them in preference

[1] Nissan Primera(1997 - 1999)
[2]Mazda Familia (2000)
[3]Nissan FB14(1997 - 1999) ,Nissan Pulsar - both are the same car essentially
[4]Honda City(2000)

you should not worry too much about fuel efficiency as this is not a daily driver - most cars do well on fuel on long distance trips. Hence don't discount the cefiro it will do fairly well on a long distance trip - you'll love the power of the 2000 cc engine and it's a very comfy car.

out of the cars you've mentioned i'll order them in preference

[1] Nissan Primera(1997 - 1999)
[2]Mazda Familia (2000)

[3]Nissan FB14(1997 - 1999) ,Nissan Pulsar - both are the same car essentially
[4]Honda City(2000)

thanks a lot for you quick reply bro! much appreciated! (Y) ..just to know..what is the avg. fuel economy of cefiro? there are three different types that i could found from this forum..2.0G, A33 and S - Touring..any differences..or which ones is best out of these three? :)

You might find a Galant or two at this bracket. Most are 2000CC though. Heaps of fun to drive, Independent Suspension, Comfort, Presence, etc. Get one with a 4G63 engine.

thanks a lot for the reply bro!..i see...galant never came to my mind..jeez!..okay..just a noob question.. higher cc means lower fuel economy all the time or is it dependant on the factors such as brand,model?

Hey guys..im a newbie to auto lanka forum as well as to vehicles..so bare my lack of knowledge in this area...I did some searching about cars for my above budget and came up

with few choices..but I need further guidance from experienced..so I came here :) ...

anyway..my budget is between 1.3M - 1.4M as topic says..i would prefer a saloon type basically to travel with my family..Car will not be my daily driver for work..and mostly

I will be using it for journeys and other occasions..(I'm letting you know these details so you can have a better idea what kind of fuel economy would be good for me)...

I came with several options...please help me to choose which one is better..anything else apart from the list..

Nissan FB14(1997 - 1999)

Nissan Pulsar

Nissan Primera(1997 - 1999)

Mazda Familia (2000)

Honda City(2000)

My expectations

*Good fuel economy(since I will use it for journeys and long trips)

*Avg. priced spare parts

*Overall good looking solid car

*Around 1,500cc

*Automatic

I had Nissan Cefiro in mind too but got to know from several thread in here that Nissan Cefiro is very bad for fuel economy..Mazda Familia and Honda City have better looks comparing to other types..I've got to know that they do less fuel economy and spare parts are pricier

i know I cannot afford a lot for my tight budget..or a car with very good fuel consumption...but I hope I will be able to find a proper one with your guys' help! :)

Thanks in advance!

Just curious... Since Nissan Primera, Pulsar and FB14 are all in your list, I wonder why you didn't include the Nissan Presea into your list... The presea is also in the same league as above... So any specific reason why you didn't include the Presea into your list? Just asking!

[1] thanks a lot for you quick reply bro! much appreciated! (Y) ..just to know..what is the avg. fuel economy of cefiro? there are three different types that i could found from this forum..2.0G, A33 and S - Touring..any differences..or which ones is best out of these three? :)

[2] thanks a lot for the reply bro!..i see...galant never came to my mind..jeez!..okay..just a noob question.. higher cc means lower fuel economy all the time or is it dependant on the factors such as brand,model?

[1] There were quite a few therads on Cefiro I think your questions will be answered just go thru these

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/7857-nissan-cefiro-uncovered/?hl=%2Bnissan+%2Bcefiro+%2Buncovered

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/11026-would-you-recomend-nissan-cefiro-as-a-day-today-car/

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15765-info-regarding-nissan-cefiro-a-33-yom-2000/?hl=%2Bnissan+%2Bcefiro

[2] No. Fuel economy is related to power-weight ratio, the transmission type, driving style and a bunch of factors ... ex: FB14 (1.5L) is better on fuel than B14(1.3L)

Also other factors like CVT gear boxes etc increase fuel efficiency so higher cc DOES NOT mean lower fuel economy

• Like 1

thanks a lot for you quick reply bro! much appreciated! (Y) ..just to know..what is the avg. fuel economy of cefiro? there are three different types that i could found from this forum..2.0G, A33 and S - Touring..any differences..or which ones is best out of these three? :)

Uhhh...no...I think you have misread something somewhere.

A33 is a model code. The Cefiro models are

A31 (1988 - 1993/4)

A32 (1994 - 1998/9)

and the last model iteration

A33 (1998 - 2003)

G and S-Touring are grades/trim-levels that the Cefiro came in (sorr not sure about which trim levels came with which model, etc...)

The Cefiro came in 2000cc, 2500cc and 3000cc variants. So the car doesn't necessarily apply towards your 1500cc requirement.

Then again the Primeras came in 1600cc, 1800cc or 2000cc variants so that doesn't fit the 1500cc requirement either (the 1600cc variant might not have been the best of performers considering the size of the car and the passengers).

Having said that...like some others have voiced...don't restrict yourself to 1500cc cars since you are using it only on an occasional basis. Also, I think for trips/long drives/outtings a typical 1500cc engined car might not be the best choice. Also, needless to say a larger car like a Cefiro or even a Primera would be somewhat more plush/comfy on long haul drives.

Just curious... Since Nissan Primera, Pulsar and FB14 are all in your list, I wonder why you didn't include the Nissan Presea into your list... The presea is also in the same league as above... So any specific reason why you didn't include the Presea into your list? Just asking!

I think I missed it.. just looked into that model..model which manufactured closer to 2000 are rare to be found :/

[1] There were quite a few therads on Cefiro I think your questions will be answered just go thru these

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/7857-nissan-cefiro-uncovered/?hl=%2Bnissan+%2Bcefiro+%2Buncovered

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/11026-would-you-recomend-nissan-cefiro-as-a-day-today-car/

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15765-info-regarding-nissan-cefiro-a-33-yom-2000/?hl=%2Bnissan+%2Bcefiro

[2] No. Fuel economy is related to power-weight ratio, the transmission type, driving style and a bunch of factors ... ex: FB14 (1.5L) is better on fuel than B14(1.3L)

Also other factors like CVT gear boxes etc increase fuel efficiency so higher cc DOES NOT mean lower fuel economy

thanks a lot bro...so comparing to by requirements cefiro is a good choice you think? cuz it's really eye catching with it's looking and comfortability...

Uhhh...no...I think you have misread something somewhere.

A33 is a model code. The Cefiro models are

A31 (1988 - 1993/4)

A32 (1994 - 1998/9)

and the last model iteration

A33 (1998 - 2003)

G and S-Touring are grades/trim-levels that the Cefiro came in (sorr not sure about which trim levels came with which model, etc...)

The Cefiro came in 2000cc, 2500cc and 3000cc variants. So the car doesn't necessarily apply towards your 1500cc requirement.

Then again the Primeras came in 1600cc, 1800cc or 2000cc variants so that doesn't fit the 1500cc requirement either (the 1600cc variant might not have been the best of performers considering the size of the car and the passengers).

Having said that...like some others have voiced...don't restrict yourself to 1500cc cars since you are using it only on an occasional basis. Also, I think for trips/long drives/outtings a typical 1500cc engined car might not be the best choice. Also, needless to say a larger car like a Cefiro or even a Primera would be somewhat more plush/comfy on long haul drives.

ohh yeah..maybe I have misread it..pardon my lack of knowledge is this area..i really don't mind with the cc as long as it provides considerable range of fuel economy..car will be used mostly on weekends...so I'm having thoughts of Primera, Familia, Cefiro.. thanks bro!

I think I missed it.. just looked into that model..model which manufactured closer to 2000 are rare to be found :/

thanks a lot bro...so comparing to by requirements cefiro is a good choice you think? cuz it's really eye catching with it's looking and comfortability...

ohh yeah..maybe I have misread it..pardon my lack of knowledge is this area..i really don't mind with the cc as long as it provides considerable range of fuel economy..car will be used mostly on weekends...so I'm having thoughts of Primera, Familia, Cefiro.. thanks bro!

Just FYI, I drive a Presea and if you don't have much requirements you are looking for in a car, you can easily find a Presea -2000....

There are many out there... Mine is a 1500cc manual and does 12kmp/l in city and 15kmp/l outstation... Very comfortable car... My friend drives a 2000cc Corolla AE110 and now he wants to sell the corolla to buy a presea cuz he finds this much comfortable and good in pickup wise comparing to it... In fact I felt the same when I drove it...

Just FYI, I drive a Presea and if you don't have much requirements you are looking for in a car, you can easily find a Presea -2000....

There are many out there... Mine is a 1500cc manual and does 12kmp/l in city and 15kmp/l outstation... Very comfortable car... My friend drives a 2000cc Corolla AE110 and now he wants to sell the corolla to buy a presea cuz he finds this much comfortable and good in pickup wise comparing to it... In fact I felt the same when I drove it...

it's really great to have a comment from a Presea owner..it seems like Presea got some nice mileage digits..i will look into that also! thanks!

Yeah but mind you, the AUTO doesnt do 12, the auto does around 9km as few of my friends owns auto's....

i see...i just realized that too after some googling...so the list I've mentioned above which ones has the best fuel economy? or pretty much all fall within roughly the same range? .. for a tight budget as mine it's not easy to find a car with better fuel economy i guess..

i see...i just realized that too after some googling...so the list I've mentioned above which ones has the best fuel economy? or pretty much all fall within roughly the same range? .. for a tight budget as mine it's not easy to find a car with better fuel economy i guess..

if you are focusing on the fuel economy, the Cefiro is out of the question and the Primera doesnt do good on fuel either... My bro had a primera and said it did very less in fuel..It being a 2000cc and manual it did around 8km/l in city...If not for fuel, those are good....

if you are focusing on the fuel economy, the Cefiro is out of the question and the Primera doesnt do good on fuel either... My bro had a primera and said it did very less in fuel..It being a 2000cc and manual it did around 8km/l in city...If not for fuel, those are good....

mm..yeah I understand.. but i don't expect to find a car with much higher fuel economy with my budget unless im really really lucky...what is the avg. fuel economy of a car(automatic) in my price range?..btw is it true that Mazda and Honda spare parts are pricier?

mm..yeah I understand.. but i don't expect to find a car with much higher fuel economy with my budget unless im really really lucky...what is the avg. fuel economy of a car(automatic) in my price range?..btw is it true that Mazda and Honda spare parts are pricier?

9km/l would be an average fuel economy I guess... But I guarantee that a cefiro would do only around 6km/l and I had friends who said it did only 5 on them.... And I don't think you can buy a Honda city for around that price.....No Idea about the prices of Mazda and Honda parts (maybe another member can answer to that)...

But in the contrary FB14 and Presea shares the same engine so spare parts are easier to be found since it is a very popular engine for these 2 cars....

Edited by PreseaLover

9km/l would be an average fuel economy I guess... But I guarantee that a cefiro would do only around 6km/l and I had friends who said it did only 5 on them.... And I don't think you can buy a Honda city for around that price.....No Idea about the prices of Mazda and Honda parts (maybe another member can answer to that)...

But in the contrary FB14 and Presea shares the same engine so spare parts are easier to be found since it is a very popular engine for these 2 cars....

A cefiro would do 5-6 in city ... outstations it does 8 and some have quoted higher - My uncle had one (sold it for 1.2 mil ) on the other hand my dad had a b14 (1.3) that did only about 1kmpl better having extensively driven both I really felt the compromise for fuel economy was worth the ride in the cefiro. Having said that you will have a hard time selling it since OP is not a daily driver i suggested the cefiro or the primera both really cool cars to own. The others are very basic cars the[FB14 FE edition does not even have a tachometer or a clock for that matter.]

The presea's a beaut of a car it has a touch of Nissan Sylvia (S14) to it.Nissan made some beautiful cars back in the 90's and early 2000s before they started making hideous looking spaceships [blame the crooked french renault influence for that ]

Regarding the honda city - 1998 manuals go for like 1.2-1.3 i'm not sure you can find a 2000ish auto for your budget but if you bargain hard you can i guess.

If you bargain hard enough you can even get a 2000 Toyota Soluna for around 14.I think. Check the popular local classified site. Manuals are easily within your budget.

I assume you dont like wagons.

A cefiro would do 5-6 in city ... outstations it does 8 and some have quoted higher - My uncle had one (sold it for 1.2 mil ) on the other hand my dad had a b14 (1.3) that did only about 1kmpl better having extensively driven both I really felt the compromise for fuel economy was worth the ride in the cefiro. Having said that you will have a hard time selling it since OP is not a daily driver i suggested the cefiro or the primera both really cool cars to own. The others are very basic cars the[FB14 FE edition does not even have a tachometer or a clock for that matter.]

The presea's a beaut of a car it has a touch of Nissan Sylvia (S14) to it.Nissan made some beautiful cars back in the 90's and early 2000s before they started making hideous looking spaceships [blame the crooked french renault influence for that ]

Regarding the honda city - 1998 manuals go for like 1.2-1.3 i'm not sure you can find a 2000ish auto for your budget but if you bargain hard you can i guess.

If you bargain hard enough you can even get a 2000 Toyota Soluna for around 14.I think. Check the popular local classified site. Manuals are easily within your budget.

Very well said... Its sad that Nissan doesnt make nice car's like they did in the 90's... I wish they imported Silvia's too to Sri Lanka... Its a very beautiful car...

so that's the avg range that I can expect...I found only one Honda city 2000 for 1.4M..(didn't contact him yet) at ####

yeah that's the sad part about it...there is no other car that I could find with Cefiro's conditions.. in above mentioned links I saw that one owner did some tuning and proper services with it's ignition coil and some other stuff to get the best mileage out of his Cefiro..and he had 7.5Kmpl withing city range..is this applicable for all Cefiro's if ran under same maintenance or is it unique to each car?

well I have eyes on a wingroad..any ideas how it performs, fuel economy all overall quality? thanks for your suggestions :)

Don't know much about Wingroad. You can also consider Corolla G or L touring station wagon. One of my friends had a diesel G touring which he bought for 1.5 mil (manual). It's reliable and very good on fuel.Ideal for family use too. You may find a petrol one for your budget if you look around.

so that's the avg range that I can expect...I found only one Honda city 2000 for 1.4M..(didn't contact him yet) at ####

yeah that's the sad part about it...there is no other car that I could find with Cefiro's conditions.. in above mentioned links I saw that one owner did some tuning and proper services with it's ignition coil and some other stuff to get the best mileage out of his Cefiro..and he had 7.5Kmpl withing city range..is this applicable for all Cefiro's if ran under same maintenance or is it unique to each car?

well I have eyes on a wingroad..any ideas how it performs, fuel economy all overall quality? thanks for your suggestions :)

The wingroad auto does around 7km in city... My friend had to sell it coz it started doing lesser

Don't know much about Wingroad. You can also consider Corolla G or L touring station wagon. One of my friends had a diesel G touring which he bought for 1.5 mil (manual). It's reliable and very good on fuel.Ideal for family use too. You may find a petrol one for your budget if you look around.

thanks for the heads up bro!... (Y)

The wingroad auto does around 7km in city... My friend had to sell it coz it started doing lesser

ohh really? ..if that so.. it is more ideal to go for a cefiro right? ...I just cant ignore it's comfortability... wouldn't I be able to bring up it's fuel figure even after maintaining properly and doing all the necessary stuff as "isurujosh" mentioned his thread? ... he brought up his to almost 7.5Kmpl.. if the avg. is 9Kmpl I can expect from cars under my budget..it wouldn't be a bad decision to go for a cefiro right?

We had a Cefiro some time ago, It did 11 kmpl with AC on a round trip. We started from Colombo to Matara via highway. From mathara we went to Katharagama. From Katharagama we went to Bandarawela. And came to kandy from there. And we came back home to Colombo.. AC was on the whole time with medium setting and temparature lowered To give maximum cooling.Speed was always above 80.That trip cost us only 6500 worth of fuel. It was a real plesure to drive, sooo comfortable, the engine roaring at high revs were music to my ears, It was packed with many features that still dint come in japs. I highly reccomend it

btw guys i came across with this AE110...

price is kinda bit odd compraing to other competing prices..price is low cuz of the milegae? cuz i saw in one thread that if it's close to 180K major repairings are on the way.. what do you guys think? :)

It's a EE110. It's 1300cc

We had a Cefiro some time ago, It did 11 kmpl with AC on a round trip. We started from Colombo to Matara via highway. From mathara we went to Katharagama. From Katharagama we went to Bandarawela. And came to kandy from there. And we came back home to Colombo.. AC was on the whole time with medium setting and temparature lowered To give maximum cooling.Speed was always above 80.That trip cost us only 6500 worth of fuel. It was a real plesure to drive, sooo comfortable, the engine roaring at high revs were music to my ears, It was packed with many features that still dint come in japs. I highly reccomend it

WOW!..that's heck of a trip!..hope you enjoyed it!.. :) ..damn!..that's not bad at all!..just a minor difference when comparing to a car with avg. fuel eco..was it a Singapore variant or Japanese variant? ..I saw in some threads that Japanese one's NEO serves with better fuel economy that the Singapore variant..I appreciate your personal experience sharing..how much it did within city limits with avg. traffic? btw..it has a low resell market? :/

~

It's a EE110. It's 1300cc

Ohh..my bad!... other than the 200cc difference there are no other differences right? found out that DX is the basic version of 110 variants.. is it worth even looking to this one? plus!..it has 180K mileage! :|

Ohh..my bad!... other than the 200cc difference there are no other differences right? found out that DX is the basic version of 110 variants.. is it worth even looking to this one? plus!..it has 180K mileage! :|

For such car with auto transmission that 200cc difference matters and given the age it would have done more than said mileage. I won't be bothered if I were you.