• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Stig

Dear Mazda experts,

I dont have any hands on experience with Mazdas so i need a little help. I had a look at a BJ5W special edition car, its 2001 clocked at around 160k .Me and my trusty mechanic had a thorough look at the car and a test drive.

The model is a 2001 Mazda BJ5W Special edition with all 4 disk brakes, the engine is ZL-VE (With Variable Vale timing engine - SVT).

The engine and suspension are in super condition.

The gearbox is not the normal one found in familia, it has manumatic gearbox (tiptronic). And the main problem is with the gearbox.

On our test drive i noticed that the entire car vibrates initially and after gaining some speed it becomes normal. The tires are a bit worn so we thought that this was the reason but on a longer run i noticed that the car only jitters on first and middle gears, after like 3rd its completely fine. This vibration is not coming from the suspension, im 100% sure.

According to my mechanic this is due to gear slipping, or at least the start of a problem in the gearbox which will lead to gear slipping.

1. Is my mechanic correct, could this be the start of a problematic gearbox ? (he has a fair amount of experience with mazdas, even now he has about 2-3 mazdas and 1 bj5w on repair so he is no noob according to my understanding)
  2. Is this gearbox CVT or AT ?
  3. If i need to replace the gearbox after i buy it what will my financial damage be ?
  4. What is the model of this gearbox (i saw something like 4E-AT on the door, is this the model), and most importantly can this gearbox be found locally (i can call mazna but i dont know the model of the gearbox to ask them)

My mechanic adviced me that this was not worth the hassle, is this the right call ?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="similarnames" data-cid="280564" data-time="1438063335"><p>

Silver car or Anton's Red one ?</p></blockquote>

Silver, but I think there might be more than one.

(sorry, i prefer not to disclose exact info as that would be unfair to the seller)

Edited by The Stig

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="similarnames" data-cid="280564" data-time="1438063335"><p>

Silver car or Anton's Red one ?</p></blockquote>

Silver, but I think there might be more than one.

(sorry, i prefer not to disclose exact info as that would be unfair to the seller)

dropped you a pm with my contacts