• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Has Happened To Bmw 320D S?

Nishan.dj

Question

Guys,

Sometime back, I remember there were many 320Ds on the road. May be because of the permits and all. But nowadays It seems I hardly see one of them. Any idea what has happened? Any common issue or something? Appreciate if you can share something. :)

Thanks

Aquaman... no one in their right mind who would want a BMW for what it is not meant for... It would be hard to sell this one if it ever hits the market. Without the BMW engine.. its not a BMW, and without the engine.... its like a heartless creature... lots of components in this car will be of no use... and there would be so many errors, warnings to by-pass... why do you have to ruin something that is engineered to perfection...

• Like 2

I'm think this car will end up like this

No, no outside modifications will be done. Even shock is ok for 2C engine. Gearbox fits well also. Only problem is engine bay.

Outside appearance will 100% original. Our electrician is now fixing the harness to car wires.

I'm going to assume that Aquaman's friend is swapping the engine of a good old E36 (because he said it was a 300- car). I'm going to assume that the car is was a 318i. If so, the car would have had 113 horses when it left the factory. If it was a 320i, it would have had 148. The Toyota 2C-T on the other hand produces around 87 HP (obviously at a lower RPM due to it being a diesel).

So your "everything will be the same except the engine" claim is nonsense IMO because the car will never drive like it used to when it had the BMW engine.
  • Like 6

Aquaman, how can he register the car after the patrol to diesel conversion? Has RMV changed the law on 'pre-english plate' patrol to diesel conversions?

lol that's a first in AL.

anyways I am curious to see how will your electrician will get all the bells and whistles going on this car.

can I ask what was wrong with the car in the first place?

I don't think he will ever be able to get them working. It will be just a BMW shell with wheels :( Maybe the owner is someone who thinks 'roda karakenawa nam athi ne'.

Followed the entire thread in one go and what aquaman says is possible and being done for older cars which could sustain that beating, for an example older Peugeots (504, 505, 404), Benz( w115, 123) and bigger luxury Japanese sedans and suvs. Rarely I've seen volvos and opels.

But a BMW? Never !

It's very tricky to stuck a different engine into newer cars. Even simple things such as increasing engine rpm with ac compressor engaging are done by engine ecu. How about the final drive ratios ? Will they match and will speedo be accurate ? Will the tacho meter work and show accurate reading? There will be so many complications and finding some parts (if those are fabricated) will be really difficult

• Like 1

I'm going to assume that Aquaman's friend is swapping the engine of a good old E36 (because he said it was a 300- car). I'm going to assume that the car is was a 318i. If so, the car would have had 113 horses when it left the factory. If it was a 320i, it would have had 148. The Toyota 2C-T on the other hand produces around 87 HP (obviously at a lower RPM due to it being a diesel).

So your "everything will be the same except the engine" claim is nonsense IMO because the car will never drive like it used to when it had the BMW engine.

Experts are everywhere but we are the only one who is actually doing something and learning as we do the work.

A BMW is just another car. it is not a michel angelo art.

Why do you go into much hassle while you can bring down,low milage m47n from UK around 300-400k.Probably a facelift common rail with all the relevant components.

There some individual importers.who bring stuff for you.

Recon Toyota 2CT in good nick will set you back 300k and thats without many components.mind you,2C being reliable but less refined engine,you might need genuine mounts to make it smooth.which anyway cost 60k.belive me,I drive a toyota with 2ct and you cannot supress that vibrations with any type of mounts.good bless on the welded and fabricated mounts.

The simple fact that you misssing here is,"modern cars are not just some parts working independently from each other.they are interconnected by electronics and by a thing call ecu.when you place an alien on engine bay the other components may refuse to work."

To give you an idea how complicated this e 46 is, (my friend had one).when you put the gear on R position,both side mirrors are tilting down few degrees so you can see where the wheels are.double press of remote key close all windows automatically and lock the car.when you switch off main lights after a long drive at night,it keeps the dim lights for few seconds so you can walk house.the list goes on and on.some of them are yet to be seen in 2015 common toyota.so there might be hundreds of coordination with engine and other components of car.

Even if the car runs,I guarantee that none of the electronics will work.

And remind your maka-baas to remove the fuel pump at the tank of e46 unless it will force feed fuel to 2C and which will never start.

Good luck and share some images mate.

Edited by chan5
  • Like 3

Experts are everywhere but we are the only one who is actually doing something and learning as we do the work.

A BMW is just another car. it is not a michel angelo art.

1. I am not an "expert" and I did not claim to be one

2. I never said what your friend is doing is impossible. I know people who have done much much more complex engine transplants. So what your mechanic is doing isn't magic.

I however pointed out the significant change that anyone driving that car will experience. It's pointless arguing about this, after the car is done, you and your friend will understand what I mean.

Good luck by the way... :)

• Like 3

Why do you go into much hassle while you can bring down,low milage m47n from UK around 300-400k.Probably a facelift common rail with all the relevant components.

There some individual importers.who bring stuff for you.

Recon Toyota 2CT in good nick will set you back 300k and thats without many components.mind you,2C being reliable but less refined engine,you might need genuine mounts to make it smooth.which anyway cost 60k.belive me,I drive a toyota with 2ct and you cannot supress that vibrations with any type of mounts.good bless on the welded and fabricated mounts.

The simple fact that you misssing here is,"modern cars are not just some parts working independently from each other.they are interconnected by electronics and by a thing call ecu.when you place an alien on engine bay the other components may refuse to work."

To give you an idea how complicated this e 46 is, (my friend had one).when you put the gear on R position,both side mirrors are tilting down few degrees so you can see where the wheels are.double press of remote key close all windows automatically and lock the car.when you switch off main lights after a long drive at night,it keeps the dim lights for few seconds so you can walk house.the list goes on and on.some of them are yet to be seen in 2015 common toyota.so there might be hundreds of coordination with engine and other components of car.

Even if the car runs,I guarantee that none of the electronics will work.

And remind your maka-baas to remove the fuel pump at the tank of e46 unless it will force feed fuel to 2C and which will never start.

Good luck and share some images mate.

Sounds like your friend had a top of the range E46 :)

Was eager to read this thread thinking its on bmws.. only to be lured into another kalakanni thread like the 'why vezels are sh*t' thread.

Ah? What?! This thread is AWESOME, and I take offence at your defamatory statement and I object to such unsubstantiated claims. You might as well get up on an election stage and sling some mud around!

Tell me my friend: Are you're saying that the Vezel is shit? Or that the Vezel is NOT shit?

And Why exactly is this thread a waste of time? Aquaman and the other Autolanka members who have posted here have put a lot of effort into making this thread as informative as possible (while respectively expressing their opinions in a free and generally fair manner). Do you not appreciate their input?

Edited by Kavvz

Okay kavvz.. humble apologies to all those who provided this thread with these invaluable statements..and a special apology to the 'waterboy'

Secondly..are u kidding?? No Way the vezel is sh*t..its more Common than that.

Lastly the forums a waste of time because our philosophists with their contradictary opinions were never supposed to be in the same forum or anywhere near each other to begin with..

Okay kavvz.. humble apologies to all those who provided this thread with these invaluable statements..and a special apology to the 'waterboy'

Thank you. I'm glad you understand.

Secondly..are u kidding?? No Way the vezel is sh*t..its more Common than that.

Now I don't understand. So you mean to say the Vezel is good? (Its common as in everyone likes it, therefore they buy it, therefore its good.)

Lastly the forums a waste of time because our philosophists with their contradictary opinions were never supposed to be in the same forum or anywhere near each other to begin with..

Again another ambiguous statement that I disagree with: An Internet forum is defined as a space / site 'where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages'. And I don't know about you, but where I come from, its normal to have different opinions / point of views during a conversation. Its completely okay to have contradictory view points as not everyone thinks alike and not everyone has the same skill or knowledge level. Engaging in informed conversation is a way to share that knowledge. Contradictory to your thought that anyone with a differing opinion should not post / should not be on this site, my thought is that if everyone had the same opinion then its not really a beneficial conversation / discussion thread as it just becomes a mutual backslapping / admiration session and very little knowledge is gained or shared in that type of conversation.

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

Obviously thats what a forum is for.. there are also sub divisions within a forum called 'threads' where ppl of similar 'interests' flock together and voice out their differing opinions and ideas.

In this thread, interests are a world apart..there are guys who are passionate about cars who came to read on bmw 320ds(keep in mind the topic of this thread) and then they have to put up with some 2c molli crap (from ppl who just want an A to B car at minimal cost)

And about vezels..

im going to stop making the mistake of feeding more sh*t on this thread;)

Obviously thats what a forum is for.. there are also sub divisions within a forum called 'threads' where ppl of similar 'interests' flock together and voice out their differing opinions and ideas.

In this thread, interests are a world apart..there are guys who are passionate about cars who came to read on bmw 320ds(keep in mind the topic of this thread) and then they have to put up with some 2c molli crap (from ppl who just want an A to B car at minimal cost)

Ah I see. I would say that variety (in thought and opinion) is what keeps our threads interesting; but I guess that's one way to look at it as well ;)

Edited by Kavvz