• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Has Happened To Bmw 320D S?

Nishan.dj

Question

Guys,

Sometime back, I remember there were many 320Ds on the road. May be because of the permits and all. But nowadays It seems I hardly see one of them. Any idea what has happened? Any common issue or something? Appreciate if you can share something. :)

Thanks

You will have trouble only if you try to use the origanal wiring. What you do is connect only the important systems directly to new engine computer box. ignition can be modified.

By important I think you mean all engine related functions? What about systems like climate control, DSC those work through the ECU. What you're creating is a frankenstein. It's going to be less realiable than the original.

Edited by madmax
  • Like 1

You will have trouble only if you try to use the origanal wiring. What you do is connect only the important systems directly to new engine computer box. ignition can be modified.

According to what I understood so far, a vehicle is not something that has 4 wheels, chassis, engine and a body, especially when it comes to Europe ones which is not older than at least 2 decades. Things you post here gives us less meanings unless you actually prove it by posting actual pics of those conversions and may be a video.

I have restored a very old vehicle which she had her 41th birthday on last January and I know if something I did without knowing the theory of it, It collapse like WTC on Sep 11th.

So, keeping things original is the most ideal one and if something needs to be changed, it should do in a correct way like Jonathan Ward

I see some older Mercedes and Europe cars have had engine transplants (Mostly from Petrol to Diesel) and look what has happened to such cars.

There is a chance that someone can do it perfectly but a Baas won't be unless he is not having a master of engineering on Mechanic and Electrical (Electronics...etc) which may not a paper qualification but know what he does.

All these concerns will be answered if you could post some pics to this thread with the details attached to it. Otherwise what you are trying to say is not really worth even if we know what is an engine transplant.

I've seen a few cars with diesels (cars which were originally petrol) run fine. Admittedly nothing as complicated as an E46. One of my uncles had one years ago. However, it wasn't all that reliable and the car was in a state of visible decay. Obviously, no one that has even the tiniest but of sympathy towards a car would do it.

edit: Double post but while I'm at it,

I guess you're the type who would buy a Euro and run it to the ground because you don't want to spend a penny on keeping the car in decent shape. and then another one of you would pick it up and go the extra mile and gut the poor thing. Do you buy your wife immitation jewelry as well???

malama panala :violent-smiley-027: , of course what these folks are saying is true.

let me tell you something, when i was looking for cars, i found this Subaru Legacy RS which was advertised for something around 14 Lk i remember . well quite the sweetest price for my budget, but i didn't go for her, and why? because i know different cars need different kinds of attention and care. i had to speak my self and ask though i love a scobbie, do i have luxury to care for her, answer form my inner was no!. so i moved and bought what i'm having now. and recently I found the person who bought the mentioned scoobie and became friends with him. i couldn't believe how he keeps her , well preserved, doing everything at time and respectfully more genuine. and i told the reason i didn't go for her and i'm so happy to see her with right hands. true that we love cars but for the time being if we are not comfortable enough to maintain them as it is or even more, its best to not go for them!, please don't, its your car your money but it's pain to see and hear such things :(

• Like 3

malama panala :violent-smiley-027: , of course what these folks are saying is true.

let me tell you something, when i was looking for cars, i found this Subaru Legacy RS which was advertised for something around 14 Lk i remember . well quite the sweetest price for my budget, but i didn't go for her, and why? because i know different cars need different kinds of attention and care. i had to speak my self and ask though i love a scobbie, do i have luxury to care for her, answer form my inner was no!. so i moved and bought what i'm having now. and recently I found the person who bought the mentioned scoobie and became friends with him. i couldn't believe how he keeps her , well preserved, doing everything at time and respectfully more genuine. and i told the reason i didn't go for her and i'm so happy to see her with right hands. true that we love cars but for the time being if we are not comfortable enough to maintain them as it is or even more, its best to not go for them!, please don't, its your car your money but it's pain to see and hear such things :(

true

BMWs and other eurpoean cars are buying by peopple who have too much money or want to show off. after time they cant afford to keep or not fashinbale anymore so they sell cheap.

So why not buy them cheap and put reliable engine and use?

How many benz cars selling cheap now? toyota Allion or Premio or hybrids have more value than european cars. becasuet theya re reliavle and great 2nd hand market.

Mate, Have you driven a BMW with a BMW engine? Revved it up to at least 4000rpm and experienced the difference to a so called 2C engined Corolla?

True, but how many common people in sri lanka will know what is inside. In sri lanka, all sports cars are lamboghinis, all Hondas are fast cars and all eurpean cars are 'luxsury' cars.

But pur mechanic is fully qalified to carry out putting in the engine. and he has already converted many benzes to run with 2c and bongo engines.

so i think, no one will know what is inside.

well, I believe 90% of them would be Enthusiasts and when they see you car, well, your ears would be full :)

Machan Aquaman... I am on your side buddy... don't worry about all these proles who are up in arms against you plugging in a 2C engine to a BMW. Your car, your petrol.., i mean diesel ne....

Anyway one thing to note is that body parts of these cars are also expensive. So suppose you knock the front to a wall someday, you could replace the headlights from a Toyota Corolla... don't worry your friend at Priyantha Motors in Kurunegala will do that for you with a few tins of cataloy (don't forget to ask them to buy a good brand of cataloy) and flip the grille sideways just for kicks. And if someday you get rear-ended by a bus, you could always replace them with a pair of Mitsubishi tail lamps. if you need to fabricate the boot lid (in your language, dicky piyana), you can get it done from a sheet of galvanised steel.

and hopefully, your bimmer will look nice and luxurious like this car.. .ela kiri...

z2hoB0Q.jpg

08Jhz1Z.jpg

(Read more about this car here: http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/14938-ruined-bmw-e28/)

Affaaaaaaa :D :D :D

E46 320d has a notorious reputation indeed and as per my research it's down to Diesel of ages ago and the engine technology back then being not quite as matured and mostly "second hand owners and even some of the permit holder 1st owners cutting corners with maintenance."

But based on how well the F10/F30 20d's with very high mileage (close to 100k) are faring (based on first hand feedback I get from fellow BMW owners I meet at the agents) it appears that similar problems wouldn't appear in latest generation cars if you maintain the vehicle on time with right experts.

But no matter what, if don't do the basic services and various filter replacements right on agent recommended time intervals in a BMW then you may be into serious trouble.

• Like 1

E46 320d has a notorious reputation indeed and as per my research it's down to Diesel of ages ago and the engine technology back then being not quite as matured and mostly "second hand owners and even some of the permit holder 1st owners cutting corners with maintenance."

But based on how well the F10/F30 20d's with very high mileage (close to 100k) are faring (based on first hand feedback I get from fellow BMW owners I meet at the agents) it appears that similar problems wouldn't appear in latest generation cars if you maintain the vehicle on time with right experts.

But no matter what, if don't do the basic services and various filter replacements right on agent recommended time intervals in a BMW then you may be into serious trouble.

DIdnt the engine in the F30 320D/ F10 520D have a major timing chain issue? or does it still have the problem?

As far as I know earlier Mercs and BMWs are more reliable than the present models

• Like 1

The molli of 2C engine is referred to the vaccume distribution unit on the top of the engine.(PUMP ASSY, VACUUM.)

just under the bonnet.

I don't understand why somebody worry with the length of the engine if so called molli doesn't fit in.

The molli of 2C engine is referred to the vaccume distribution unit on the top of the engine.(PUMP ASSY, VACUUM.)

just under the bonnet.

I don't understand why somebody worry with the length of the engine if so called molli doesn't fit in.

There is height and length difference between the 2 engines. We have to weld new mounts to cross bar. Also cannot close bonet.

Call it my imagination... reading this thread... Frankenstein comes to mind s-l1000.jpg

I weep for the poor BMW. :( It sure as hell does not deserve that treatment.

• Like 1