• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Front - Drum To Disc Conversion - Mitsubishi J44 (4Dr5)

Nishan.dj

Question

Guys,

Good day ahead!

I got the front wheel brakes converted from drum to disc of my jeep and the pics attached below. The known issue of 4DR5 Jeeps which is the inability to be stable by the time of applying brakes because of the fact that the shoes engage to the drum at different intervals. So the result is the vehicle to move left or right suddenly when the brake applies. When Speeding at 80Km/h or so, it gets worse because there is possibility of facing an accident. The issue was solved with the disc brake conversion and now it feels the difference while braking specially at the moments said before.

20150627_141021.jpg

20150628_125517.jpg

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

Guys,

Good day ahead!

I got the front wheel brakes converted from drum to disc of my jeep and the pics attached below. The known issue of 4DR5 Jeeps which is the inability to be stable by the time of applying brakes because of the fact that the shoes engage to the drum at different intervals. So the result is the vehicle to move left or right suddenly when the brake applies. When Speeding at 80Km/h or so, it gets worse because there is possibility of facing an accident. The issue was solved with the disc brake conversion and now it feels the difference while braking specially at the moments said before.

Hi Nishan,

mind if i ask, what's the Donor Vehicle which you sourced parts from? seems like a perfect match. Second, did you do any modification to the Master Cylinder?

Edited by Ruslan

Hi Nishan,

mind if i ask, what's the Donor Vehicle which you sourced parts from? seems like a perfect match to me. Second, did you do any modification to the Master Cylinder?

Ask anything..

Those are Pajero parts (Except Disc) and disc is molded for the block of this vehicle wheels.

Master Cylinder was upgraded sometime back and hence It was good enough. Again it was also a Pajero one.

This is quite interesting! So you went ahead with it after all!

The disc looks to be about 2cm in thickness which is about 3-4 times what a disc would normally be. Any reason for this?

And how big a difference do you feel after the conversion?

This is quite interesting! So you went ahead with it after all!

The disc looks to be about 2cm in thickness which is about 3-4 times what a disc would normally be. Any reason for this?

And how big a difference do you feel after the conversion?

I searched on few places for this conversion and some quoted very high amount. As per them, I should replace all the parts including wheels. So It is a mess and very costly.

I went with this modification because it does nothing to the axles but only replacing the relevant parts. It cannot be done by a newcomer to the field but only by an experienced person. I saw their first conversion which is kind of 2 decades old and happy with it. It had never given any trouble so far.

I also noticed the thickness of the disc and had no idea why is it so. May be to avoid overheating or be more strengthened because its not a ventilated disc as OEM part.

I had breaking issues as I mentioned above (I heard its common to all 4DR5s) and now i feel the vehicle is more stable and very easy to handle while applying brakes (both unplanned and quick applying conditions such as driving off road [Not Hardcore though])

So it kind of makes me to do the conversion on the rear wheels as well :) may be sometime later.

Nishan,

the post was initiated in 2015 thereby making you a well experienced with the local disc brake conversions. im hoping to do the same to my j44 very soon, is there any improvements you would suggest given that u have been driving it for 5+ years. much appreciated if you can give some information  of the recommended parts and fabrication methods & places. 

4 hours ago, shashith said:

Nishan,

the post was initiated in 2015 thereby making you a well experienced with the local disc brake conversions. im hoping to do the same to my j44 very soon, is there any improvements you would suggest given that u have been driving it for 5+ years. much appreciated if you can give some information  of the recommended parts and fabrication methods & places. 

Search "Mitsubishi jeep 4dr5 " on facebook.

There is one group with 58K members.

Another with 27K Members.

Both have abundance of knowledge of literally anything Jeep.