• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer Cs3 (2003) Octane 92 Or 95?

Elrond

Hi All,

I bought a Lancer CS3 (2003-manual) recently and have been pumping Octane 95 due to a recommendation from a friend. Thought of opening this thread to get the inputs from experts on whether 95 is necessary, or it can survive using 92, without causing any harm?

I did a search on AL, and what I could gather was GDI engines are the ones that require 95. Does that mean 92 is okay for my CS3?

Appreciate your inputs, and thanks in advance.

Cheers!

P.S: This is my first post on AL, but have been reading the Lancer related threads for sometime - let's say extensively ;) Posts on AL was a huge help for me on buying this beauty :) Appreciate a lot all the effort you guys put to help others.

91 octane or higher. That's what the owner's manual says. I believe this was shared on the forum before.

Edit: During the time only 90 and 95 was available, I kept using 95 and switched to 92 when it became available. No problems encountered and the engine behaved normally.

You might want to check if this applies to the 2003 - 2007 facelift CS3. The below post suggests that the manual for the facelift says that the recommended fuel is 95 octane. I've seen a 2004 facelift manual and that too said 91 octane. Maybe later models require 95.

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15687-help-with-my-new-cs3/?p=253444

Edited by Davy

Thanks for the prompt reply Davy!

I already have the set of maintenance manuals - "CG-CH Workshop Manual" - shared in that same thread by you. But, as far as I understood, they are applicable to the 2004-2006 facelifts (CH?). Mine is a 2003 facelift. I will anyway check them again.

Edited by Elrond

I have had to pump 90 once and the car knocked heavily when down shifting. Especially on low gears. So I wouldn't recommend using 90 (not like it's available now anyway).

In my first post I've made a mistake (corrected now). The 2004 manual said 91 or higher too and NOT 95. I believe the 95 octane requirement was specified for the later CS3s, so you should be fine with 92.

Edited by Davy

Your CS3 has the Orion engine (4G18) right? If so, octane 92 is fine. Even 90 is pretty ok. Fyi, orion engine is one of the most robust engines ever made by the Japanese. If you have a 4G92 engine, you should pump 95.

Hey Crosswind, yes it is a 4G18. Happy to hear it's a great engine, and that it'll do fine with 92 :) Thank you very much!

I have had to pump 90 once and the car knocked heavily when down shifting. Especially on low gears. So I wouldn't recommend using 90 (not like it's available now anyway).

In my first post I've made a mistake (corrected now). The 2004 manual said 91 or higher too and NOT 95. I believe the 95 octane requirement was specified for the later CS3s, so you should be fine with 92.

Thanks again Davy! I will start pumping 92. No use in wasting money on 95 if it doesn't add anything extra...

Well... the bad news about Orion engines is that its 1970s technology :)

Back in 80s, Lancers and their variants (Tredia, Mirage, Celeste etc.) came with couple of different types of engines - Orion, Sirius and Saturn I think. The ones with Orion engine (Sri Lankans used to call them Orient engines) almost always had a higher market value.

Well... the bad news about Orion engines is that its 1970s technology :)

Back in 80s, Lancers and their variants (Tredia, Mirage, Celeste etc.) came with couple of different types of engines - Orion, Sirius and Saturn I think. The ones with Orion engine (Sri Lankans used to call them Orient engines) almost always had a higher market value.

Well, I wouldn't call it 70s technology. :) The entire range of engines have evolved with time. They were initially carburettor engines and now every revision is either an EFI or GDI. Also, the earlier versions did not conform to any of the emission standards of today.

As for the names, they were as below (from memory):

Orion: 4G1 series

Saturn: 4G3 series

Sirius: 4G6 series

Astron: 4G5 series

Neptune: 4G4 series

I think the rest of them didn't have names. They were just referred to as 4G9x and so on.

Wonder what the exact reason was behind naming engines after stars (and planets).

When I say 70s technology, I'm talking about the lack of support for modern technologies like VVT. Also are u sure the extraterrestrial engines support GDI? I thought the GDI engines were 4G9X series (no evidence in WIkipedia either about 4G1X GDI powerplants).

The stars and planets have been good to Mitsubishi, since there are at least a dozen other manufacturers who are making these engines under license- Proton, Zotye, Hyundai, Hafei, BYD to name a few and Mitsubishi must be earning a tidy sum from licensing their technology and it looks like these engines will live on until petrol exists :D

The extra terrestial engines do support Mivec

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIVEC

The fact is engine design is not something that changes very regularly. Once you come accross a good design you build on it so they usually survive a couple of decades at least. In the above the heads have changed a lot, fuel injection mechanism have changed, more electronics have been added but the fundamental mechanicals have remained.

The fact that they are so widely used is testament to their quality but also of Mitsubishis atitude to licensing it away for use by other manufacturers. Mind you a lot of parts for those are still made by Mitsubishi themselves.

When I say 70s technology, I'm talking about the lack of support for modern technologies like VVT. Also are u sure the extraterrestrial engines support GDI? I thought the GDI engines were 4G9X series (no evidence in WIkipedia either about 4G1X GDI powerplants).

The stars and planets have been good to Mitsubishi, since there are at least a dozen other manufacturers who are making these engines under license- Proton, Zotye, Hyundai, Hafei, BYD to name a few and Mitsubishi must be earning a tidy sum from licensing their technology and it looks like these engines will live on until petrol exists :D

Yes they do, and you don't have to look further to find an example. The Lancer Cedia (JDM CS2) came with a 4G15 GDI engine.

As for the stars and planets - agree that they have been good to Mitsubishi, but they came up with the names long before brands like Zotye and Proton even existed I guess. :)

• 7 months later...
Your CS3 has the Orion engine (4G18) right? If so, octane 92 is fine. Even 90 is pretty ok. Fyi, orion engine is one of the most robust engines ever made by the Japanese. If you have a 4G92 engine, you should pump 95.

Hi

How I check what type of engine is mine CS3 ?

Thanks

Amila

Hi

How I check what type of engine is mine CS3 ?

Thanks

Amila

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15911-wanted-mitsubishi-lancer-glx-2003-16-cs3-owner-lover-ex-owner/?p=258420

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/16703-things-to-checklook-into-when-buying-a-10-15-old-car/?p=273459

All CS3 Lancers, including yours, have a 1.6L (1584cc) 4G18 (Orion) engine.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

You've answered your question half way.You Don't drive an Evo

There's a misconception with our drivers that 95 Ron is some how " better" for ordinary cars, it's not.

And what guarantee do you have that you are actually getting what the pump says?

Local Fuel starts life as the lowest cost tender winner for the local supplier,

Edited by Twin Turbo

You've answered your question half way.You Don't drive an Evo

There's a misconception with our drivers that 95 Ron is some how " better" for ordinary cars, it's not.

And what guarantee do you have that you are actually getting what the pump says?

Local Fuel starts life as the lowest cost tender winner for the local supplier,

well thought so too, don't know about the 4G but it does make a huge difference for my 4AGE, feels like the knock sensor shouting at me, and higher compression engines,, in this case 11:1 for 4AGE BT requires higher octane rating fuel. true that sometimes 95 gets this uneven smell and all, but what to do people who stays sober get cirrhosis too :(, better to try something rather do nothing. is it JDM?