• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Service - Maruti Suzuki Alto

Rookantha

No. Its not under warranty. Now 25000kms and 5 years. Next service will be after 750kms. Its Maruti Suxzuki Alto (2010) and fuel consumption is 11.5km/l to 12.5km/l in Colombo traffic. One of my friend said (He drives a Lancer CS1) that should be more than that for an Alto? can you suggest a better place to get a tuneup done? or Agents will do a better job?

I have used brand new Maruti alto (800 cc) for 2 years (2009 to 2010) and observed 9.5 - 10 km/ l in Colombo traffic. (I have maintain all written records as a hobby). It is doing 18+ while going Matara at night time. Max observed 19.23 km/l for around 120 km span. Entire average for 25000 km was 14.5 km/l.

Any way, if you feel any performance issue, I too suggesting to do a cleanup (so called tune-up).

While appreciating Davy's thoughts, that's why I told some body may oppose to brake fluid and and coolant matter as I am suggesting to violate manufacture recommendations. Actually, my suggestion was based on following technical matter. We are using same grade fluids (DOT 3 or above) not only for Maruti but for other Japanese vehicles using in Sri Lanka which has recommended more intervals. If we can use same fluid for more intervals why can't we do it for Maruti. All other piping and parts are more or less same in the system and environment condition is same.

In fact that's not quite correct. Water ingress is the main factor affecting the service interval of brake fluid. Although the basic braking system mechanism is the same in almost all vehicles, factors affecting the water ingress are not. It depends on things like microscopic pores in the hydraulic lines, quality of the brake cylinder rubber boots etc (this is why you are warned against frequent opening of the brake reservoir cap. Fluids with specs of DOT3 and above are particularly hygroscopic) . These things differ from vehicle to vehicle and so does the recommended service interval. Of course you can violate the recommendations and still run the vehicle but don't forget when you have moisture in brake fluid it tends to corrode brake system and you will never notice it before it is too late.

Same goes for the coolant in OP's car which is five years old now and may have become acidic enough to attack the metal parts. Just compare the cost of radiator replacement to that of a simple coolant change!

• Like 1

In fact that's not quite correct. Water ingress is the main factor affecting the service interval of brake fluid. Although the basic braking system mechanism is the same in almost all vehicles, factors affecting the water ingress are not. It depends on things like microscopic pores in the hydraulic lines, quality of the brake cylinder rubber boots etc (this is why you are warned against frequent opening of the brake reservoir cap. Fluids with specs of DOT3 and above are particularly hygroscopic) . These things differ from vehicle to vehicle and so does the recommended service interval. Of course you can violate the recommendations and still run the vehicle but don't forget when you have moisture in brake fluid it tends to corrode brake system and you will never notice it before it is too late.

Same goes for the coolant in OP's car which is five years old now and may have become acidic enough to attack the metal parts. Just compare the cost of radiator replacement to that of a simple coolant change!

No argument that, always we have to follow manufacture recommendations.

You quote only part of my post and the practical scenario (which I used the 100,000 km and condition is good) has neglected. Any way, although the "microscopic pores in the hydraulic lines, quality of the brake cylinder rubber boots etc" is playing a role for water ingress, it will not play considerable comparative difference for vehicle to vehicle.

Same time, duration is playing more role than millage(except extreme usage) or any other for fluids. In that case, agreed that both brake fluids and coolant should be changed due to 5 years.

One more thing:

95% of our maintenance/repair locations haven't qualified mechanics. Although some owners of them are professional guys, the employees were not trained well and not following proper procedures and tools. This is same for almost all Local Agents. Keeping the car without maintenance is better than dismantle the car for maintenance with those bullshit.

Lets think, almost all personal car owners maintaining the cars unnecessarily according to service personals in Sri Lanka (replacing fluids in less intervals, change parts in less intervals, etc). Then, there should be minimum breakdowns in Sri Lanka. Then, what's the hell, this much of spare parts (non consumable) sale. How many engines, gearbox and other system failures are there in extra maintained cars.

This is only for think and not concluded.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...