• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Service - Maruti Suzuki Alto

Rookantha

Hi All,

The next periodical service of my car (Maruti Suzuki Alto) is around the corner. Now 20000Kms done. I'm thinking of whether to put it a local service center or to A*W Service. What is your suggestion? Will A*W do a good job? Now I feel that the clutch and steering wheel is bit tightened. Can you pls help me as to what should be done in a full service?

Regards

Rookantha

Hi All,

The next periodical service of my car (Maruti Suzuki Alto) is around the corner. Now 20000Kms done. I'm thinking of whether to put it a local service center or to A*W Service. What is your suggestion? Will A*W do a good job? Now I feel that the clutch and steering wheel is bit tightened. Can you pls help me as to what should be done in a full service?

Regards

Rookantha

Any competent service station can service your car. It does not require special treatment. A*W has a service center called Pit Stop which does an excellent job. Costs are a little high but reasonable. But you don't have to go there.

They have a specialized Maruti garage behind pitstop. Which is behind Borella cemetery, if you don't know where it is.

That is the Maruti and Suzuki workshop. To be honest the two operations are fairly well integrated. If they don't have capacity, they will point at the direction of PitStop.

Any competent service station can service your car. It does not require special treatment. A*W has a service center called Pit Stop which does an excellent job. Costs are a little high but reasonable. But you don't have to go there.

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I'd be glad if you can share a checklist that should be attended to during the service.

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I'd be glad if you can share a checklist that should be attended to during the service.

A competent service station should have a check list on hand anyway. But usually for the 5000km service it would be.

1. Change oil and oil filter

2. Check air filter and if necessary replace

3. Remove tyres, inspect rotate (as a cross to facilitate even wear)

4. Check brakes, suspension bushes, inspect under body, inspect all rubber boots

5. Grease any grease points (modern cars don't really have these)

6. Pressure wash car and underbody. If you like they can spray the underbody with oil, probably a good idea in a Maruti but not necessary

7. Clean interior

8. Wipe the engine and engine bay with Diesel. Do not wash the engine with water under any circumstances

Separately you should get your local mechanic to check your spark plugs and replace if necessary.

• Like 1

I owned a Maruti 800 for 2 years till March 2014. All the services were done at the PitStop and maintenance at the Matuti Suzuki workshop next to that. I had nothing to complaint about any of the things they have done. Charges were very reasonable (Around Rs. 6,000/= for the 5,000km service without the air filter). You get a checklist after the service.

Checklist is available in owners manual as well. If my memory is correct manual recommends to replace the air filter every 20000km. Just double check with your copy.

If you are going to A*W they will go through the check list. They used to hand over a copy of it to vehicle owner as well.

I asked from A*W and they gave me a quote of Rs 15,664 + VAT. Their response is quoted below.

" full service will include the Oil and filter change, Body wash, Interior vacuum cleaning and exterior wax coting.

Additionally based on Manufacturer recommendations the 20,000km service needs to consist of a Rear brake clean and adjustment and the Replacement of Sparkplugs, Radiator coolant and Brake oil. Based on your vehicle service history the Gear oil, Air filter and Rear brake washers will need to be replaced if not previously done as this is not indicated in our system.

Furthermore kindly note that each service will include a full technical inspection which will identify wear of suspension components, Oil leaks ect. The steering and the clutch system issues will be diagnosed during this inspection (Kindly inform your service advisor of the abnormality)."

Item no Description Quantity Amount(Rs.)

1 FULL SERVICE 2,500.00
2 CHANGE RADIATOR COOLENT 1,250.00
3 CHANGE BRAKE OIL 1,250.00
4 CLEAN REAR BRAKE 625.00
5 WHEEL ALIGNMENT 1,375.00
Parts
6 COST OF SUNDRIES 650.00
7 BP-VISCO 3000 20W50 TG SLCF 208L 2,067.00
8 CA-AXLE GL-5 90 208LT IFN 2.500 1,365.00
9 FILTER ASSY,OIL 1 655.00
10 ELEMENT AIR CLEANER M ALTO/WAGON R IFN 1,105.00
11 CA-Brake Fluid DOT 4 250ml 2 724.00
12 PISTON CUP SET M 800 IFN 2 448.00
13 BP-ISOCOOL 1L 3 1,650.00
Sub Total 15,664.00
VAT @ 11.00 1,723.04
Total 17,387.04
What do you recommend as you have experience on this. Is it worth taking the vehicle to A*W or it is better to get the services done by local service center??
Your advises on this highly appreciated.
Rookantha

• 2 weeks later...

In the manual it says to do the following after 20000kms done

1. Change brake oil

2. Change coolent

3. Change gear oil

4. change spark plugs

5. Do an engine tune up

6. Wheel alignment

What is you idea about above. Some say it is not compulsory to do all these right after 20000kms done.

• 2 months later...

In the manual it says to do the following after 25000kms.

1. Change brake oil

2. Change coolant

3. Change gear oil

4. change spark plugs

5. Do an engine tune up

6. Wheel alignment

7. Change Engine oil

8. Change Air filter and Oil filter

What is you idea about above. Some say it is not compulsory to do all these right after 20000kms done.

1. Change brake oil

2. Change coolant

3. Change gear oil

4. change spark plugs

5. Do an engine tune up

6. Wheel alignment

7. Change Engine oil

Does the manual say all this? I had an alto which I bought brand new in India. I maintained it and serviced it throughout from the company and ran it for 32100 kms.They never asked me to do these things when it reached 20000kms. Maybe things are different now. That was back in 2009-11.

Edited by Indrajeedez

1. Change brake oil

2. Change coolant

3. Change gear oil

4. change spark plugs

5. Do an engine tune up

6. Wheel alignment

7. Change Engine oil

Without a maintenance history with the agent (surprised why the even the free services were not availed) they do not have an option but to do all the maintenance work that has accumulated over the past 20000kms. IMO it is better to listen to what they say.

Without a maintenance history with the agent (surprised why the even the free services were not availed) they do not have an option but to do all the maintenance work that has accumulated over the past 20000kms. IMO it is better to listen to what they say.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. When I bought the car its done 10000kms and all the free services done by A*W. However after that I got the services done by a local service center (Only Engine oil and filter, air filter changed). I'm really confused why some experience guys say it is not compulsory to change coolant, gear oil, brake oil since there are no issues with the system.

Rookantha

Dear Rookantha,

In the first instance please see this.

A*W has recommended 20W50 for your car. But according tho the maintenance manual provided by manufacture (http://marutistorage.blob.core.windows.net/marutisuzukipdf/Final_Book_Alto_800.pdf) it should be 5W30. The letter before W is not important as Sri Lanka is tropical country but viscosity is important for better fuel economy and engine performance. (Its true that 20W50 will not harm to your engine but performance wise not recommended). This will reflect how the local agent concerning about your car. What I understood is they are trying to harvest from you than providing technically sound service.

Please download the manual if you have not received original one and read the pages from 71 on-wards. The knowledge gain by reading is more than enough for maintain your car. It will save lot of your money.

As you have changed Air filter at 10,000 km, no need to changed it now. need only cleaning. If I were you, I will also not change coolant and brake oil at 20,000 km although the manual indicated.(Its according to my vehicle maintenance experience but others may oppose to this). I will use them at-least up to 40,000 (subjected to age of the vehicle). Gear oil change is mentioned in the manual as 160,000 km or 10 years.

Don't wast your hard earned money. Cars are made for your comfort and you are not made for the comfort of the car.

Edited by gayanath

Dear Rookantha,

In the first instance please see this.

A*W has recommended 20W50 for your car. But according tho the maintenance manual provided by manufacture (http://marutistorage.blob.core.windows.net/marutisuzukipdf/Final_Book_Alto_800.pdf) it should be 5W30. The letter before W is not important as Sri Lanka is tropical country but viscosity is important for better fuel economy and engine performance. (Its true that 20W50 will not harm to your engine but performance wise not recommended). This will reflect how the local agent concerning about your car. What I understood is they are trying to harvest from you than providing technically sound service.

Please download the manual if you have not received original one and read the pages from 71 on-wards. The knowledge gain by reading is more than enough for maintain your car. It will save lot of your money.

As you have changed Air filter at 10,000 km, no need to changed it now. need only cleaning. If I were you, I will also not change coolant and brake oil at 20,000 km although the manual indicated.(Its according to my vehicle maintenance experience but others may oppose to this). I will use them at-least up to 40,000 (subjected to age of the vehicle). Gear oil change is mentioned in the manual as 160,000 km or 10 years.

Don't wast your hard earned money. Cars are made for your comfort and you are not made for the comfort of the car.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. Yes. I read the manual and it clarifies lots of doubts. However I'm still learning about vehicle maintenance. I'm also thinking of getting a tune up done as it has never done previously. (25000kms now)

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. Yes. I read the manual and it clarifies lots of doubts. However I'm still learning about vehicle maintenance. I'm also thinking of getting a tune up done as it has never done previously. (25000kms now)

Tune up is another fake which lot of service stations are doing. Electronic controlled engines are automatically tuned themselves for best output. What service people doing is only cleaning. No need to do it for 20,000. Propose to go beyond 40,000 for your car. I will not do anything to my Toyota engine at-least up to 80,000 if no any issue happens.

Edited by gayanath

Tune up is another fake which lot of service stations are doing. Electronic controlled engines are automatically tuned themselves for best output. What service people doing is only cleaning. No need to do it for 20,000. Propose to go beyond 40,000 for your car. I will not do anything to my Toyota engine at-least up to 80,000 if no any issue happens.

Thank you for your opinion. But sometimes I feel the pickup is not enough. That maybe because of 800cc engine. I'm not sure. How can I identify whether a tuneup is necessary.

With all due respect to gayanath, I have to disagree. To get the best out of a vehicle, it needs to be maintained properly. Failing to do so will result in nothing but premature wear of the engine and whatever components that were left without being looked into at the specified interval.

Let's take a simple example: All manufacturers specify a replacement interval for the timing belt. In most situations, the replacement interval is 100,000km. This doesn't mean that the timing belt will snap off at 100,001km. It might survive much longer in real life, but driving without replacing it is a huge gamble. Having heard of many horror stories of timing belts breaking off, this is one risk no one should take.

It is similar with everything else. fluid replacements can greatly improve the driving conditions of the car. Brake fluid attract moisture and lose it's viscosity over time - resulting in poor braking performance. Coolant also lose their heat absorption properties over time and can cause the system to corrode as well. There is a reason behind the manufacturer suggestion each one of these.

The dusty, humid environment in Sri Lanka causes carbon build-up in the intake manifold and throttle body of any car. This needs to be cleaned out periodically to ensure a smooth drive. You can of course drive with all the carbon and gunk in the intake, but your car will simply not perform or drive the way it is supposed to. It will not be as economical as well. There are many sensors attached to the engine that either get covered or clogged up with carbon, resulting in sending faulty readings to the ECU. The ECU on the car can only control things to a certain level.

Rookantha, is the car in question still under warranty? If so, wouldn't skipping a periodic service at the agents void your warranty?

• Like 3

With all due respect to gayanath, I have to disagree. To get the best out of a vehicle, it needs to be maintained properly. Failing to do so will result in nothing but premature wear of the engine and whatever components that were left without being looked into at the specified interval.

Let's take a simple example: All manufacturers specify a replacement interval for the timing belt. In most situations, the replacement interval is 100,000km. This doesn't mean that the timing belt will snap off at 100,001km. It might survive much longer in real life, but driving without replacing it is a huge gamble. Having heard of many horror stories of timing belts breaking off, this is one risk no one should take.

It is similar with everything else. fluid replacements can greatly improve the driving conditions of the car. Brake fluid attract moisture and lose it's viscosity over time - resulting in poor braking performance. Coolant also lose their heat absorption properties over time and can cause the system to corrode as well. There is a reason behind the manufacturer suggestion each one of these.

The dusty, humid environment in Sri Lanka causes carbon build-up in the intake manifold and throttle body of any car. This needs to be cleaned out periodically to ensure a smooth drive. You can of course drive with all the carbon and gunk in the intake, but your car will simply not perform or drive the way it is supposed to. It will not be as economical as well. There are many sensors attached to the engine that either get covered or clogged up with carbon, resulting in sending faulty readings to the ECU. The ECU on the car can only control things to a certain level.

Rookantha, is the car in question still under warranty? If so, wouldn't skipping a periodic service at the agents void your warranty?

No. Its not under warranty. Now 25000kms and 5 years. Next service will be after 750kms. Its Maruti Suxzuki Alto (2010) and fuel consumption is 11.5km/l to 12.5km/l in Colombo traffic. One of my friend said (He drives a Lancer CS1) that should be more than that for an Alto? can you suggest a better place to get a tuneup done? or Agents will do a better job?

No. Its not under warranty. Now 25000kms and 5 years. Next service will be after 750kms. Its Maruti Suxzuki Alto (2010) and fuel consumption is 11.5km/l to 12.5km/l in Colombo traffic. One of my friend said (He drives a Lancer CS1) that should be more than that for an Alto? can you suggest a better place to get a tuneup done? or Agents will do a better job?

Fuel consumption depends on a lot of things starting from your driving habits, whether you drive in heavy traffic and the condition of the car etc. Since you have 25,000km on the clock, I suggest getting a fuel system cleanup (this is what is referred to as a tune-up for EFI vehicles) done.

Since your car is not under warranty, you don't have to go to the agents to get a tune-up done. PreseaLover got a ultrasonic injector clean-up and a throttle body clean-up done recently from ASNU Lanka in Battaramulla. Read it here. The cost should be similar for you and this I believe will be cheaper than the agents.

Fuel consumption depends on a lot of things starting from your driving habits, whether you drive in heavy traffic and the condition of the car etc. Since you have 25,000km on the clock, I suggest getting a fuel system cleanup (this is what is referred to as a tune-up for EFI vehicles) done.

Since your car is not under warranty, you don't have to go to the agents to get a tune-up done. PreseaLover got a ultrasonic injector clean-up and a throttle body clean-up done recently from ASNU Lanka in Battaramulla. Read it here. The cost should be similar for you and this I believe will be cheaper than the agents.

Thanks. I asked from them. They said it'll be around Rs5500 for service and additional for parts. A*W said they'd charge Rs9500 for all.

While appreciating Davy's thoughts, that's why I told some body may oppose to brake fluid and and coolant matter as I am suggesting to violate manufacture recommendations. Actually, my suggestion was based on following technical matter. We are using same grade fluids (DOT 3 or above) not only for Maruti but for other Japanese vehicles using in Sri Lanka which has recommended more intervals. If we can use same fluid for more intervals why can't we do it for Maruti. All other piping and parts are more or less same in the system and environment condition is same.

On the other hand, I have monitored the brake fluid condition periodically as a research by electronic tester at Laugh (I don't know whether the tester is giving accurate reading) one of my previous car. Near the millage 100,000 (I am the first owner) which is after 7 years, believe me, they told the condition of fluid is good (actually they don't know whether I have not changed them before.). Any way don't do this. I did this because I am having some knowledge about the system and have the capacity to face any sudden condition. Not recommended for others.

Regarding the other matters, all engineering designs and manufacture recommendations having "Safety factor". As an example timing belt change at 100,000 km having at-least safety factor of 1.5. Which means if will last longer than that.

Lets say recommended interval = 100,000

Safety factor = 1.5

Then observed average failure is higher than 150,000

That's the way engineering decisions/recommendations are taking. This is same for the fluids too. Therefore changing the timing belt at 100,000 is must (we should not take any risk) but no need to change it at 80,000 claiming for "safe side". Most of the service peoples are asking to change the parts / fluids too early than manufacture recommendations for safe side but it’s not required as safety factor is already there.

Any way Davy is asking to follow manufacture recommendations which is great.

• Like 1