• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can I Get License If I Have Problem In Hand

maahan

Question

Hi,

i have some problem in my right hand ( called MND ). Can't able to lift any big things, but i love to drive cars few years back before disease i drove motor cycles

Please advice me is there any way get license for Auto Car ?

any help appreciated

Thanks

5 answers to this question

I'm torn on this. On one hand I can imagine what it might be like to not be able to do what you love. If you dont mind me asking, when you got your motorcycle license, did you not get your car license?

I'm not familair with MND, but if it affects your right arm only and if you're able to move your arm onto the steering I dont think you will need to worry/move it much (especially on a Auto Transmission).

That being said, crosswind makes a very good point on safety. It's not regular road conditions that should worry you, but an emergency where you're required to turn the steering more than a few degrees (requiring you to remove and re-position your hand on the steering within a fraction of a moment). And that fraction of a moment could mean life or death with an oncoming vehicle or a wet/narrow/mountainous road.

• Like 2

There was an incident in the past where a man with one arm was driving a school van and he got arrested after several years of running this school van. In this country, anyone can get a driving license. I bet your pet dog also can get one if you spend enough money.

There are special conditions where people with disabilities are given driving licenses. These are usually decided on a case by case basis after doctors recommendation. I think you need to go to NTMI (National Transport Medical Institute) and talk to the doctors there, your neighbourhood doctor's medical report won't be enough.

In certain cases, they will permit the driving license bearer to drive specially modified vehicles and these vehicles also have special registration numbers (PZ-XXXX). You may have seen war-disabled soldiers who would like to make a livelihood, driving three wheelers with PZ- plates.

However, Motor Neuron Disease is something that may affect your own safety and others' safety as well. Chances of you getting a driver's license with this condition is relatively low. You should check with NTMI on this one. The place is located opposite St. John's College, Nugegoda, very close to the flyover entry point.

Thanks for your information I will try the Medical once

I'm torn on this. On one hand I can imagine what it might be like to not be able to do what you love. If you dont mind me asking, when you got your motorcycle license, did you not get your car license?

I'm not familair with MND, but if it affects your right arm only and if you're able to move your arm onto the steering I dont think you will need to worry/move it much (especially on a Auto Transmission).

That being said, crosswind makes a very good point on safety. It's not regular road conditions that should worry you, but an emergency where you're required to turn the steering more than a few degrees (requiring you to remove and re-position your hand on the steering within a fraction of a moment). And that fraction of a moment could mean life or death with an oncoming vehicle or a wet/narrow/mountainous road.

I drove motorcycles before got effected and don't have licence. about moving hands i can able to move hands freely but i under stand your point about others safety so i will go for a medical test and update here

thanks