• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrids Service (Oil Change)

Galle

Question

I’m having an Axio hybrid (2014). Agent recommend to do a service at every 5000 KM.

as vehicle run on EV mode as well (in EV mode, engine is not running), mileage include this as well.

Can’t we used the engine oil more than 5000 KM ?

Appreciate your comments.

How are you going to calculate the miles run on EV mode and adjust? That seems a like an effort worth nothing.
It's best to do the service at recommended interval than trying to cheap out thinking about EV mode mileage.

You probably can increase the service interval (i.e.every 7500km) by putting in some synthetic engine oils(which are generally more expensive than mineral oils). Again, read your service manual first and verify it's compatible with your car.

Edited by ramishkad
  • Like 1

Dear Galle,

Yes your point is correct.

I'm having Aqua which engine and transmission same. If you read maintenance manual (Japanese) you will wonder that, the service interval mentioned is 15,000 km. not mentioned for use Synthetic oils.

If you are using Toyota Genuine 0W20, at least you may use it 7,500 km. However, you have to change oils in 6 months intervals whether you have done lesser millage or not. Don't wast your money as lots of service peoples are not updated according to current technology updates.

Further, Prius C is export version of Aqua which having same engine and transmission. Please see maintanace manual from this link. It use miles other than kilometers. (x1.6)

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM52E68U/pdf/OM52E68U.pdf

Dear Galle (& Gayanath)

I hope u realise that what is stated in the user manual are RECOMMENDATIONS for NORMAL use. I strongly recommend you look up what car manufacturers define as SEVERE/HARD use.

The local agents, being as thick headed as they are, are not that entirely clueless is regards to something like oil changes. FYI recommended CVT oil changes for a RAV4 in the service manual says 'Non Serviceable'for normal use vehicles. Toyota Japan tech would say check 100K, but in reality in SL you would have to change it 40K or so.

Recommendations for HRD/SEVERE use in service manuals can be shockingly different.

Moral of the story: Don't go by a user manual intended for a user in a different coutry miles away who is pressumed to use the car EXACTLY as what Toyota categorizes as normal use in a perfect environment.

And yes you might notice that the oil change sticker some agents/service center puts on has a change by date and mileage.

Sincerely,

A guy who never seizes to get shocked by people buying 35,000$ cars in a whim but ponder for ages on spending 30$ on an oil change

Edited by iRage
  • Like 4

Dear Galle (& Gayanath)

I hope u realise that what is stated in the user manual are RECOMMENDATIONS for NORMAL use. I strongly recommend you look up what car manufacturers define as SEVERE/HARD use.

The local agents, being as thick headed as they are, are not that entirely clueless is regards to something like oil changes. FYI recommended CVT oil changes for a RAV4 in the service manual says 'Non Serviceable'for normal use vehicles. Toyota Japan tech would say check 100K, but in reality in SL you would have to change it 40K or so.

Recommendations for HRD/SEVERE use in service manuals can be shockingly different.

Moral of the story: Don't go by a user manual intended for a user in a different coutry miles away who is pressumed to use the car EXACTLY as what Toyota categorizes as normal use in a perfect environment.

And yes you might notice that the oil change sticker some agents/service center puts on has a change by date and mileage.

Sincerely,

A guy who never seizes to get shocked by people buying 35,000$ cars in a whim but ponder for ages on spending 30$ on an oil change

Dear iRage,

Actually, for normal use its 10,000 miles (16,000 km) and for severe condition 5,000 miles (8,000 km). That's why I suggested at least 7,500 km can be done if not more than 6 months time from last service. That Severe condition is properly defined as vehicle which idling with engine on like Police vehicle, Taxi, Towing trailers and some environment conditions.

Further important thing which we didn't consider is our environment. Who pays for the issues due to adding more used oil to environment unnecessary. If we use 7500 km (which still below the recommendation by manufacture) means we reduce 50% environmental damage.

Please consider that aspect too. Otherwise, we can change oil in every 1000 km if we have enough money.

Engineering designs are optimized to some points considering each & every factors. That's why they are manufacturing Hybrids (to save environment).

Edited by gayanath

I think we need to get the pop corn ready :D

On the matter of environmental damage, the environmental cost of manufacturing a Prius stirred up some controversy a while ago so that's there. Also, I'm willing to bet my left kidney that 99.9% of the drivers behind the plethora of hybrids on the road didn't buy a hybrid for their love of the trees and the monkeys on them.

• Like 4

Dear iRage,

Actually, for normal use its 10,000 miles (16,000 km) and for severe condition 5,000 miles (8,000 km). That's why I suggested at least 7,500 km can be done if not more than 6 months time from last service. That Severe condition is properly defined as vehicle which idling with engine on like Police vehicle, Taxi, Towing trailers and some environment conditions.

Further important thing which we didn't consider is our environment. Who pays for the issues due to adding more used oil to environment unnecessary. If we use 7500 km (which still below the recommendation by manufacture) means we reduce 50% environmental damage.

Please consider that aspect too. Otherwise, we can change oil in every 1000 km if we have enough money.

Engineering designs are optimized to some points considering each & every factors. That's why they are manufacturing Hybrids (to save environment).

You bought an environmentally friendly hybrid car ne... congratulations. You are very right. It's running sometimes on battery so the engine is not operating so you don't have to change oil every 5000km like the morons in their non-hybrid petrol cars do. Even 10,000km is fine. 15,000km is better if you can run more on the battery and save the environment from all the bad people who drive petrol cars.

PS. To irage - how dare you give advice like that ha? Don't be such an environmentally unfriendly petrol-car driver. Its his car. His money. why the f**k should you care?

PPS. Now please don't make silly statements like what causes engine oil deterioration is not whether a car engine is running or not but the temperature which the engine oil subjected to and irrespective of whether the car is running on battery or not, the oil will continue to deteriorate if the engine remains at operating temperature (which is around 90 degrees). This is such an environmentally unfriendly statement to make.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

Lol, oh dear Gayanathyou read part of some internet doc I see.

What you stated was only a very small part of that list and I believe you made an excellent point of showing how misguided u are. Severe driving also includes:

-constant stop and go driving (good thing wdont have that in SL)

- driving in high heat / low temp (again dont worry, SL has a const 25 deg temp so u r safe)

- excessive short trips, apparently engine doesnt get to prop op temp. But since we all drive 10+ km in each trip and low temp means less oil burning who cares a crap

- constant use of poor quality petrol. Well SL has world grade fuel besides since it is a Hybrid u dont need petrol

The list goes on. So well done on your light browsing, you certainly taught me and now I can save so much money by following what you said. Can we arrange for this guy to provide an info/training session at dealerships for their techs ?

To Crosswind: I got enlightened only after reading his reply. I am a f*** moron. I should care more about the planet. So, if you drive 5000 miles and the electric motor works 25% of the time u can change oil at 7500mi, so get the motor running 50% you can do oil changes at 10000mi. YES !! EAT THAT OIL COMPANIES !!!

• Like 2

Haha freaking hilarious :dance3: now now sell the Prius and buy Nissan Leaf much better, while u charge the car at the side of the road thanks to a very unsuspecting victim and his outlet...where the charging cable is sent up the victims wall n through his front door (this is NOT made up i was in a hurry or else would have taken a picture too, just had a chat with him wondering why he had a wire on his wall thinking it was his house :P ) think of how many trees n birds u have saved a greener environment indeed. Ohh i did see a Leaf with no AC n reduced speed running on the highway shutters all rolled down and the guy looking extremely hot under the collar.

@iRage stop giving advice to the other dude not worth it, hopefully @Galle got a pretty good answer to his question

• Like 1

Toyota Lanka is a fully owned entity of the Toyota Motor Corporation.

Their reccomendations maybe conservative at times, but it is a bit silly to argue with their service intervals. If anything the problem of late has been manufacturers advicing longer service intervals to keep fleet managers happy and cars suffering medium to long term in the process.

I’m having an Axio hybrid (2014). Agent recommend to do a service at every 5000 KM.

as vehicle run on EV mode as well (in EV mode, engine is not running), mileage include this as well.

Can’t we used the engine oil more than 5000 KM ?

Appreciate your comments.

Congratulations! You're a owner of a hybrid. Mate, I know cars, especially the types you own depreciate heavily. So here's a tip.

After a certain point, when you need to sell the car by showing a lower mileage, make sure you reverse the car as much as possible. May be daily basis. Doing so you can turn the ODO meter back wards. Surprising eh? It works man like the EV mode example you brought up.

Dear Galle,

Yes your point is correct.

I'm having Aqua which engine and transmission same. If you read maintenance manual (Japanese) you will wonder that, the service interval mentioned is 15,000 km. not mentioned for use Synthetic oils.

If you are using Toyota Genuine 0W20, at least you may use it 7,500 km. However, you have to change oils in 6 months intervals whether you have done lesser millage or not. Don't wast your money as lots of service peoples are not updated according to current technology updates.

Further, Prius C is export version of Aqua which having same engine and transmission. Please see maintanace manual from this link. It use miles other than kilometers. (x1.6)

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM52E68U/pdf/OM52E68U.pdf

Please tell me how can i access other .pdf files in 'www.toyota.com/t3portal/document/ '

Lol, but it is entertaining in poking the bear kind of way :).

Can u imagine what the cost per km bragging that Leaf owner might be doing ? :)

haha defa... but seriously i do wonder IF people actually consider the mileage it can actually do or do they just get on the "gon karaththe" and join the huge crowd just for bragging rights??

I came across a guy at E**h Zon*e last Sunday and he said while traveling from Mt.Lavina to Bamba his kids counted 98 "Weasels" :o

I mean seriously that's a freaking huge amount in that short distance. to be fair after listening to that i too counted 16 Weasels in a time span of 15mins.... Jeez a tuk tuk is NOW a more Exclusive mode of transportation noh :P

The funniest thing is Toyota Engineers doing researches and manufacturing cars to world market (for all kind of weathers) and recommends some maintenance schedules to keep them run well. But in Sri Lanka, there are several Engineering Masters who know more than them and recommends several things which ruin our money, time and environment.

Dear iRage,

The funniest thing is Toyota Engineers doing researches and manufacturing cars to world market (for all kind of weathers) and recommends some maintenance schedules to keep them run well. But in Sri Lanka, there are several Engineering Masters who know more than them and recommends several things which ruin our money, time and environment.

Like I said earlier, its YOUR car. YOUR money. Do what you think is right. It wouldn't affect us.

Edited by Crosswind

Even the same model of car is built differently to accomodate different conditions in different regions of the world. A large number of cars are built specifically for Japan (for instance). If you maintain a car that is meant for a region much harsher than it was intended to, you have to take certain precautions. So the funniest thing is that you seem to know better than the AUTHORISED DEALER for the damn car!

Whats even funnier is there are Engineering Masters who think they know better than the Toyota Japan trained Engineering Masters working at the Toyota Japan owned workshop in Sri Lanka.

And Sir, some of the guys in here won't shout it out, but there are some genuine Engineering Masters in here, some who have even worked for some famous marques in automotive engineering. So before you start barking, hang around a bit. Perhaps you might even learn something.

Dear All,

Appreciate if you could read this article...

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

There are some good points in this article.

Dear Gayanath,

that article is nothing new, it has been accepted wisdom in the automotive world for quite awhile. The key point is that the article is written by an American, with a american centric point of view and obviously about American conditions. It has already been pointed out above why that is not really applicable to our conditions.

You seem like the sort of bloke who will repeatedly bang his head against a wall rather than admit you are wrong. Please refrain from such behaviour as it makes you look like a dumbass.

Edited by Supra_Natural

Dear Gayanath,

that article is nothing new, it has been accepted wisdom in the automotive world for quite awhile. The key point is that the article is written by an American, with a american centric point of view and obviously about American conditions. It has already been pointed out above why that is not really applicable to our conditions.

You seem like the sort of bloke who will repeatedly bang his head against a wall rather than admit you are wrong. Please refrain from such behaviour as it makes you look like a dumbass.

Could you tell me the difference between american condition and Sri Lankan conditions which highly affected to the maintenance pattern (It's true that, there are small cases with minor effects but not affect the maintenance schedule heavily as most of the Sri Lankan roads are in good quality now and the quality of air and humidity level too).

Please come-up with technical points to discuss technical matters without criticizing any body. (90% of people like to criticize others but do and know nothing. It true not only for our country but also for entire world)

Could you tell me the difference between american condition and Sri Lankan conditions which highly affected to the maintenance pattern (It's true that, there are small cases with minor effects but not affect the maintenance schedule heavily as most of the Sri Lankan roads are in good quality now and the quality of air and humidity level too).

Please come-up with technical points to discuss technical matters without criticizing any body. (90% of people like to criticize others but do and know nothing. It true not only for our country but also for entire world)

The United States does not have the same ambient heat that Sri Lanka has. Most parts of the US are subject to seasons and the servicing adjusted accordingly.

The roads are heavily congested particularly in Colombo and there is a lot of stop start traffic. The United States have open roads and free flowing traffic. In modern cars which have intelligent servicing schedules, you will notice the service interval come forward if this is the type of driving you do even in the US or the UK.

The humidity is quite high and you have to add the dust into this as well. The same conditions exist in some parts of the US but guidance is given in general.

The quality of fuel in Sri Lanka is quite poor. This leaves residue and sediment which interact with engine oil and cause chemical break down of oil

The engine oil we get in SL is not the same quality as the ones sold in the United States even if it is the same brand as its sourced from different manufacturing points

A lot of the cars in Sri Lanka were not designed to work in Sri Lanka for prolonged periods. Some vehicles have experienced fairly adverse problems like cracked heads and leaking head gaskets due to the ambient heat coupled with standard operating temperatures. Many were imported from milder climates and while most on the surface run ok they need to be carefully managed to avoid issues in the long run.

And finally and most importantly, we have very many recorded instances of the sludge issue manifesting itself in many vehicles. In modern cars a lot of things are based on oil pressure and this this changing has serious consequences.

And most importantly this is local knowledge, and knowledge obtained at the expese of other people who have had to pay for the repairs. These facts are actually acknowledged by the importers of Engine oils as well. You might think its in their best interest if people change engine oil all the time. 15 years ago when synthetic oils became widely available, they sold synthetic and semi synthetic oils exactly on that premise. Long service intervals. But the negative publicity generated by sludge issues have caused most to retract those claims.

I really have better things to do than argue with you over and over. Do whatever you want man. Its your money after all.

Haha freaking hilarious :dance3:now now sell the Prius and buy Nissan Leaf much better, while u charge the car at the side of the road thanks to a very unsuspecting victim and his outlet...where the charging cable is sent up the victims wall n through his front door (this is NOT made up i was in a hurry or else would have taken a picture too, just had a chat with him wondering why he had a wire on his wall thinking it was his house :P ) think of how many trees n birds u have saved a greener environment indeed. Ohh i did see a Leaf with no AC n reduced speed running on the highway shutters all rolled down and the guy looking extremely hot under the collar.

@iRage stop giving advice to the other dude not worth it, hopefully @Galle got a pretty good answer to his question

Okay this thread is about done, so: Could you please elaborate on this? So some guy pulled over to a random house by the side of the road and asked to charge his Nissan Leaf up? But wouldn't that take hours to do?