• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda Axela 2008 Shocks

ThunderBolt

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi,

Would there be any difference replacing shocks with KYB over genuine? Any place recommended to by genuine/ KYB ?

Any possibility to claim it from insurance?

Shivanka

Hi Shivanka,

I have a 2007 mazda3 and i had to replace one of the rear shocks few years ago. I asked Car Mart for the prices and they quoted 17000/= for one shock. Thought that was too much and went for a KYB. Got it from Taas Agencies at Hyde Park Corner and at that time it cost me 7500/=. You might be able to get one for less than that from panchikawatta, but make sure its genuine KYB. Been using the vehicle since then, no issues so far.

I don't think you can claim it because it is wear and tear.

Ask the agents first for the prices, because prices might have changed over the past years.

My brother changed my old Axela's (2004) front and rear shocks to KYB's. Saved quite a bit apparently.

I took it for a spin recently and while there's nothing wrong with the ride in regular traffic, if you push it to the limit its quite apparent that the KYB's are much less stiffer than the Mazda shocks and you don't feel the same confidence of comfort swinging the car around at high speeds.

I'm not entirely sure who makes the stock Mazda shocks, in this particular car the original shocks were marked as made in Poland by FoMoCo (Ford, who created the chassis for Axela/3).

TL;DR - KYB's should make no difference to the drive, unless you regularly enjoy life by taking your Mazda to the limits.

My brother changed my old Axela's (2004) front and rear shocks to KYB's. Saved quite a bit apparently.

I took it for a spin recently and while there's nothing wrong with the ride in regular traffic, if you push it to the limit its quite apparent that the KYB's are much less stiffer than the Mazda shocks and you don't feel the same confidence of comfort swinging the car around at high speeds.

I'm not entirely sure who makes the stock Mazda shocks, in this particular car the original shocks were marked as made in Poland by FoMoCo (Ford, who created the chassis for Axela/3).

TL;DR - KYB's should make no difference to the drive, unless you regularly enjoy life by taking your Mazda to the limits.

There are a couple of different variants of KYB shocks for the Mazda 3. You should select the ones that suit your taste and driving patterns. The most frequent complaint people have are the KYBs sold are too stiff as most people prefer a softer ride. This might have caused the local agents to recommend a different variant which fits. But do your research and you can find other options, but you will have to go to Taas armed with part numbers.

I can also honestly say KYB shocks are as good if not better than anything Ford motor company uses. I won't be surprised if it is KYB or another Japanese brand like Tokiko or Showa if the car was made in Japan.