• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tata Vs Bolero

manoj123

Question

2 answers to this question

Im very sure none of the forum members would have had first hand experience on these two vehicles.

However, I have noticed a couple of things:

1. both are rust buckets. they start rusting within 5 years

2. mahindra engine wears out very fast. you are almost always guaranteed to have compression issues within first 5 years or less than 100,000km. My BIL's office (Govt institution) had a half a dozen bolero SUVs. All of them just wouldn't start in the morning.

3. Resale value just doesn't exist for these vehicles. You can't sell a 2-year old Bolero for even 800,000. One of the reasons is people buy these off leases even when they can't afford and when they can't pay, the leasing company seizes them. Just visit any leasing company yard to see how many Tatas and Boleros are rusting there.

4. I don't think spare parts would be a problem for both these vehicles. Ideal motors and D*MO both are well established.

Bottom line is if you wish to use it for a maximum 2-3 years, then get a Tata or a Bolero brand new, but expect a loss when you sell it. If you want to use it longer, then get a 1980s Isuzu or a Nissan. It will last longer and give less trouble.

BTW you also have the option of going for a Mazda Bongo, Toyota Hiace or Nissan Vanette based crew cab, but the loading capacity will be a little lower.

• Like 5

What is the best option for a single cab TATA or Mahindara Bolero interms of maintenance, spares and resale value.

Actually you are in luck as I have a Tata.

Is quite fine. Had it for about 3 years so far and only thing I've replaced are the wiper blades, aside from regular services.

Is kind of fun to drive. Ideal for terrorising tuk tuks, Vezel's and other annoyances. Used to use it as a backup but realised its more fun than a car (and easier/safer) so I use it for day to day driving.

The Mahindra's engine is a bit quieter though.