• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rpm Meter

chathuu

Question

There are some vehicles which are not includes a RPM meter. Normally basic grade cars come without RPM. (Eg Toyota Axio X grade, Nissan Sunny Ex saloon) In this case we have to pay additional sum of 200K-400K for a high grade with RPM on board and some added options. Despite there are tons of cars without RPM, some people think RPM is a must for a vehicle. Since Im not an expert in these kinds of issues, please share your knowledge/ideas on this.

1. What is the actual use of RPM meter?

2. Is it a problem Without RPM meter?

3. Is it worth to pay additional sum for this?

4. Or.. All this is an issue of mind?

Tnx.

12 answers to this question

Its called tachometer.

For me its more useful than the speedometer because thats what I usually keep an eye on. It lets me figure out if the car is changing gear at the right time (if auto) or figure out the right time to shift (if manual), gives a good basic diagnostic of the car and enables getting best possible fuel eficiency.

Axio and allions are designed for people who know jack about cars even in japan I guess.

G-superior badge is a state of mind. Tachometer is a must for a car.

• Like 6

Very complete answer by Crosswind.

@OP - while it is not a 'problem' without a tacho it most certainly is very very useful. I really don't know why Axio, belta vitz etc dont have one as even the much older peroduas came with one. Specially if you're driving with AC on and the Tacho is a good indicator if your engine is revving too much or if your idle is too high.

I'm no expert on cars but in my experience you can learn a lot about your car and its behavior by observing the rpm.

Not an expert though, here are my findings.

1. You can get an idea how faster engine is rotating. Generally if the RPM is less than 2000 in a higher gear fuel efficiency is high. In my car 5th gear, 2000 RPM (speed'd be 70 -75 kmph) gives me best fuel efficiency. Once I achieved 20.3 kmpl (which no body believed)

2. It's not a problem if manufacturer can design it in that way, why it would be ?

3. Depends. In my case I got separate tachometer, fixed it on dash board. :D

4. Yes and No

3. Depends. In my case I got separate tachometer, fixed it on dash board. :D

Dear Bycap and others,

My self also interested on separate tachometer, how can I find this,

Is it available localy

I have Toyota Starlet , is this compatible with My car

Thanks

Cheers

Amila

Dear Bycap and others,

Is it available localy

Thanks

Cheers

Amila

welcome to the club bro...

I have the same. I fixed a separate tachometer. If you need more info to find out one, PM me.

Infact there are lot of deals on FB too.

Dear Bycap and others,

Is it available localy

Thanks

Cheers

Amila

There are several that pop up on FB groups and an even wider range of options online..from the humongous wall clocks with shift lights and more discreet and smaller ones. They can be wired to pick up the signal from the coil or a spark plug and a half decent electrician should be able to wire it up for you.

I'd recommend the digital discrete type, rather ricer telescope, decent brands of course,

If you have OBd, get a trip computer, for a total diagnostic readout. :sport-smiley-004:

There are several that pop up on FB groups and an even wider range of options online..from the humongous wall clocks with shift lights and more discreet and smaller ones. They can be wired to pick up the signal from the coil or a spark plug and a half decent electrician should be able to wire it up for you.

Thank you for the feedback

- What is this FB page, Im not member there

I think the FB page is "Rapid Rev.' Most of the stuff there are bought off from eBay and sold for a profit so you could straight away buy from eBay but you will need to wait for the stuff though.

• Like 1