• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Request Information On A Good Mechanic/ Workshop And Discussion

cmxjn

Not sure whether this is the the same place I'm referring to, but I hope AL Mods will allow me to post the full name in order to help other fellow AL members to stay away from this shop.

Name of the shop : 'Tharaka Auto Windscreen (PVT) LTD'

Address : 519, High Level Road, Delkanda, Nugegoda.

Date of Visit : 22/11/2010

Time of Visit : 2.00pm

Tme left the shop : 7.00pm

Reason to visit : To service automatic window winders of all four doors of a Toyota Starlet

Bill amount : Rs 7150/=

Number of employees attended the job : 5

Initial reception was very fine from the shop owner but the service & the final outcome is totally unsatisfactory. Not worth for the money spent on the work. Stay away from this place.

you got place right

• 3 weeks later...
And I will start by sharing information about a mechanic who has been my family's primary mechanic since 1996. His name is Sisira and he mostly works by himself in a little garage in a Pepiliyana road (just after the bridge on the right if you are travelling from Gansaba junction).

He's good for all forms of mechanical repairs in petrol and diesel vehicles (engine repairs, brakes, suspension etc) but not so good at diagnosing electronic issues (ECU, sensors, check engine lights etc) as he is old school and does not have a scanner etc.

He is also not good for automatic transmissions.

You also have to tell him the quality of part you want replaced, and better yet buy him the goods yourself, as if you let him buy parts, sometimes he will try to save you money (all good intentions) and buy cheaper parts.

But he has never scammed us by inflating the price of parts he has bought on our behalf, which I think is fundamental, as most other guys I've been to have pulled that scam on me.

But the most important thing is this. In all this time, I've not had a single item stolen, swapped, broken by him in our family cars, and he has gone out of his way to get our cars started at home. So we have no hesitation of leaving our cars there, and we rarely have had to take them back (like all there has been a few mistakes, but sorted out quickly enough).

His charges are also very reasonable, and I often overpay since I think what he asks is too low.

Don,

Is he the mechanic soon after the SALA enterprises showroom? to be frank there are about 4 garages in pepiliyana , I would like to show my old lancer to him,

If posssible can you please PM me the description of the guy.

2. Headlight Cleaning

March Beatles are notorious for discoloration of their headlights. There was also water leaking into one of my headlights. Found a great place to do headlight cleaning and re-beading of headlights.

Randunu Head Light Cleaning - No.57/B, Papiliyana Road, Nadimala, Dehiwala. Contact Nos. 0776 273 477, 0714 255 322.

yeah this guy is a gem. cleaned my teg headlights when they looked like opaque cataracts of an old man. the result was astounding. i got a 3m clear protective sticker on them (as he advised) and my god they look brand new. worth every penny. he's a nice dude. very humble. no boru talk.

Hey don, is sisira's nickname chuti by any chance? At the exact name location, I got some work done by a guy called chuti. Was okwith the work.

My trusted mechanic for any japanese car repairs is saman. His garage is in vihara lane wellawatta. 0712299000 He will alwys try to save money for u by getting cheap parts. Thats my only worry:-) His charges are very reasonable.

Another mehanic I recommend is, Pushpakumara @ nedimala junction.

Is Saman back or was it Sandun? I thought he moved to Canada or s'thing

Edited by c1nder

Hey don, is sisira's nickname chuti by any chance? At the exact name location, I got some work done by a guy called chuti. Was okwith the work.

My trusted mechanic for any japanese car repairs is saman. His garage is in vihara lane wellawatta. 0712299000 He will alwys try to save money for u by getting cheap parts. Thats my only worry:-) His charges are very reasonable.

Another mehanic I recommend is, Pushpakumara @ nedimala junction.

crosswind....nedimala where? can you please be a bit more specific.Is he good with oldies?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
First of all I must thank The Don for starting this thread. This thread will hopefully through time will be able to concentrate all the scattered information into the topic.

1. I have a Nissan March AK-12. I bought it in November last year. All this time the vehicles we have had were maintained by the company my father was working in. As the March was a personal acquisition I had to personally look into its maintenance and I did not have any previous experience to rely on. Through talking to people I found that there is this guy called Ravi Perera at No.595, Kandy Road, Bulugaha Junction, Kelaniya, just 1km after the Peliyagoda Flyover on the left hand side if your going to Kelaniya. Contact nos are . 0722-142143 and 0723-444444.

He specializes in Nissans and actually do not accept other brands of vehicles unless the person who owns the vehicle is a long standing customer, friend, relative etc.

His technical knowledge is very good especially as it is centered around one particular brand. Parts are cheap and his work is quality. Prices are very reasonable. The bottom line is that in my humble opinion if you have a Nissan he is the guy to go to for major repairs. Not knowing him much those days I have left my vehicle with all the documents and there has never been a scratch or anything out of place.

Cons.

As with any mechanic going to him has its slight flaws which if not pointed out I do not think would be a complete account of him. When you are good you will be stuck with so much of work sometimes more than you can handle. This is one disadvantage going to him. That is at one point of time he will be having so much of work. So you will have to give him two to three days maybe even a week to repair your vehicle unless it is a minor issue.

As I live in Mount Lavinia it is quite a hassle to go to Peliyagoda to fix every minor issue.

So my next question is are there any good garages that members could recommend me from the Mount Lavinia area to fix maybe minor issues that may crop up during the day to day running of a vehicle?

2. Headlight Cleaning

March Beatles are notorious for discoloration of their headlights. There was also water leaking into one of my headlights. Found a great place to do headlight cleaning and re-beading of headlights.

Randunu Head Light Cleaning - No.57/B, Papiliyana Road, Nadimala, Dehiwala. Contact Nos. 0776 273 477, 0714 255 322.

yeah this guy is a gem. cleaned my teg headlights when they looked like opaque cataracts of an old man. the result was astounding. i got a 3m clear protective sticker on them (as he advised) and my god they look brand new. worth every penny. he's a nice dude. very humble. no boru talk.

Guys,

Does he clean the sealed type head lights as well? my jdm head lights are sealed with some kind of paste, heard some guys put it in microwaves to get it soften, then remove the back cover and clean.

Guys,

Does he clean the sealed type head lights as well? my jdm head lights are sealed with some kind of paste, heard some guys put it in microwaves to get it soften, then remove the back cover and clean.

Almost all the headlights come sealed but it can be softened and removed by carefully heating it up in an ordinary oven or even with a heat gun - BUT NOT IN A MICROWAVE OVEN. The heating mechanism in the two types of ovens are worlds apart.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

Dehiwala guy does with a heat gun. Even mine were opened and cleaned to look like new.

Microwaving them would be a shoo-in for a Darwin Award!

Good to hear that mate, will be heading there next weekend for sure. Do I have to make an appointment first? and how much he charged you for that?

Edited by kushan

For those who live around Wattala/Kandana/Ja-ela etc., I would recommend Waymax International - St. Xaviers Road, Ja-ela. Real professionals. Fully equipped workshop with electric jacks and a booth for painting.

Do they work on mechanical repairs as well ?

• 2 weeks later...
Dehiwala guy does with a heat gun. Even mine were opened and cleaned to look like new.

Microwaving them would be a shoo-in for a Darwin Award!

Good to hear that mate, will be heading there next weekend for sure. Do I have to make an appointment first? and how much he charged you for that?

Went there today morning, and oh boy, my headlights are like brand new. Awesome!!!! cost me 3K. Much thanks Niranjan & Komi :)

Edited by kushan
  • Like 2

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good garage / workshop within Colombo Colombo city limits, which is well equipped (read has hoists) and has technicians who are capable of following instructions to carry out some basic repairs on a Mitsubishi?

I visited UniMo and was unimpressed by what was either a lack of knowledge or a mask of disinterest & laziness!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good garage / workshop within Colombo Colombo city limits, which is well equipped (read has hoists) and has technicians who are capable of following instructions to carry out some basic repairs on a Mitsubishi? I visited UniMo and was unimpressed by what was either a lack of knowledge or a mask of disinterest & laziness!

What Mitsubishi are we talking about? And why are the ramps needed for the repair? I think Pit Stop does basic repairs on most cars.

What Mitsubishi are we talking about? And why are the ramps needed for the repair? I think Pit Stop does basic repairs on most cars.

The IO - Just basic bits like oil (all oils) change, plug & plug lead replacement, seals , bushes etc.

I've been a long time Pitstop customer & swear by their alignment as well as detailing work, but haven't tried them for repairs

Might just do & see Don - any personal expereince with them on that front?

The IO - Just basic bits like oil (all oils) change, plug & plug lead replacement, seals , bushes etc.

I've been a long time Pitstop customer & swear by their alignment as well as detailing work, but haven't tried them for repairs

I'm sure i mentioned that I got the oil changes (including gearbox and diff) and stuff done on the grey car at pit stop, as well as changed the wheel studs and sorted sticking calipers, didnt I?. Work is good. That bloke buddhika knows what he's doing, you know the guy as well right? I'm thinking they should be all right for that stuff and since you know them anyway will listen to instructions.

Went there to get the ATF oil changed on the Suzuki, and the guys noticed an oil leak and got that fixed too. The operation was quite professional and the mechanics knowledgable and curteous.

My family uses a mechanic called Sisira for most running repairs and we won't use anybody else for something he can do, as the man is trustworthy, and I've known him for half my life. I've already recommended him on this thread, and in a world where people often try to rip you off, I'll always go with a little guy trying to make an honest living.

For alignment I swear by Car Care now. Those chaps know what they are doing. A simple drive of my family cars before and after those guys had them sorted will convince anybody. And they were happy to use the camber bolts I supplied and correct the camber.

Went there today morning, and oh boy, my headlights are like brand new. Awesome!!!! cost me 3K. Much thanks Niranjan & Komi :)

hope to visit this place he is not working on sundays :(

hope to visit this place he is not working on sundays :(

yeah but he does work on Saturdays, from 9.30AM

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
can someone provide info on any good vehicle AC repair shop around Kandy...????

there is a place in gohagoda road recommended by 'Susmitha' A/C spare parts importer(know as good)

when u go along the gohagoda rd from katugastota town 1- 2 Km there is a temple with boo tree in right hand side very close to road (Just passing thekka watte - where all junk of kandy town goes)

take rd next to temple right hand side and drive 1Km or less u will find big house where all cars came to repair etc parked in front.

:)

also there is place called kool tec in kandy - don't know really where it is :(

Edited by aps