• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice On Buying A 2014 Mazda 3/axela

sahanlak

Question

Guys,

I'm looking to buy a Mazda 3/Axela 2014. I spoke to colonial motors and they have Mazda 3 2015 for 5.9 million, 6.9 million for the full package one with skyactiv. Car importers are bringing the Hybrid axela with Skyactiv and price is between 5.2 - 5.6 mil. Colonial said that they are not bringing down the hybrid. Hybrid sounds like a good deal, but since the agent doesn't sell the vehicle I'm bit worried about special services I might be needing. I have first hand experience dealing with a rat attack to the hybrid system in my Aqua and thanks to Toyota LK I was up and running in no time, so I'm counting on agent's service. What would you think?

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

Guys,

I'm looking to buy a Mazda 3/Axela 2014. I spoke to colonial motors and they have Mazda 3 2015 for 5.9 million, 6.9 million for the full package one with skyactiv. Car importers are bringing the Hybrid axela with Skyactiv and price is between 5.2 - 5.6 mil. Colonial said that they are not bringing down the hybrid. Hybrid sounds like a good deal, but since the agent doesn't sell the vehicle I'm bit worried about special services I might be needing. I have first hand experience dealing with a rat attack to the hybrid system in my Aqua and thanks to Toyota LK I was up and running in no time, so I'm counting on agent's service. What would you think?

First of all, read up on Skyactiv, it's not an option that is on some cars and not on others, it's something fundamental to the way Mazda's cars are actually built. The two models they quoted you must be different spec levels and the top one probably has some extra tech that the cheaper one doesn't. Best way to check that out is to go through the spec list (which they will give you if you ask).

As for the Hybrid, it's essentially Toyota's Hybrid system (from the older generation Prius) paired with a severely detuned version of Mazda's 2.0 Liter motor so there isn't any majorly new unusual technology in it. Anyone familiar with Toyota hybrids should be able to figure their way around the axela as well. However unless whatever extra fuel economy the hybrid provides is extremely important to you (and since you had an Aqua before, I guess it might be), save yourself the potential for any headaches and get the standard petrol model, it should also provide pretty decent economy thanks to Skyactiv

Just for your reference on Mazda's petrol engines, our 2014 Mazda 6, which is a 2.0L Auto and is the same size as the current BMW 5 Series, does 8-10 KM/l in the city depending on driving style, which is pretty damned impressive for a car that large.

First of all, read up on Skyactiv, it's not an option that is on some cars and not on others, it's something fundamental to the way Mazda's cars are actually built. The two models they quoted you must be different spec levels and the top one probably has some extra tech that the cheaper one doesn't. Best way to check that out is to go through the spec list (which they will give you if you ask).

As for the Hybrid, it's essentially Toyota's Hybrid system (from the older generation Prius) paired with a severely detuned version of Mazda's 2.0 Liter motor so there isn't any majorly new unusual technology in it. Anyone familiar with Toyota hybrids should be able to figure their way around the axela as well. However unless whatever extra fuel economy the hybrid provides is extremely important to you (and since you had an Aqua before, I guess it might be), save yourself the potential for any headaches and get the standard petrol model, it should also provide pretty decent economy thanks to Skyactiv

Just for your reference on Mazda's petrol engines, our 2014 Mazda 6, which is a 2.0L Auto and is the same size as the current BMW 5 Series, does 8-10 KM/l in the city depending on driving style, which is pretty damned impressive for a car that large.

Thanks for the reply, I'll read up on it, the sales guy sounded like it's an add-on feature comes with 6.9 mil model, and congratulations on buying the mazda 6, I saw the thread from you while back asking "What to Buy" :)

Unlike the properly good looking 6,the 3 is butt ugly.Especially the rear quarter.In my opinion ofcourse.

Otherwise it is a solid car from what I hear.Colonial service is hit or miss it seems.Some people praise them while others loathe them.

Why not go for a second hand 6?

Actually the Mazda 3 sedan in some markets comes with a 1.6L standard engine or a 2.0L skyactiv engine. A similar offering might explain the two different prices for two seemingly equally equiped cars and the 'with/without' SkyActiv statement.

The only 1.6L engine I know of which Mazda made till recent times was the Z6 and ZM. Then again I thought the Zs were phased out for the SkyActivs so I have no idea what this 1.6L engine is.

Edited by iRage

Actually the Mazda 3 sedan in some markets comes with a 1.6L standard engine or a 2.0L skyactiv engine. A similar offering might explain the two different prices for two seemingly equally equiped cars and the 'with/without' SkyActiv statement.

The only 1.6L engine I know of which Mazda made till recent times was the Z6 and ZM. Then again I thought the Zs were phased out for the SkyActivs so I have no idea what this 1.6L engine is.

Colonial still has 1.6, so we do have the standard engine.

Guys,

Once, Colonial guys showed me the new Mazda 3 when I went there for a service. At that time, that guy did mention about the Axela Hybird as well. As you already know, they don't bring down the Axela Hybrid. But, check with him if they are capable of handling the hybrid as well. They seems to be very committed in building the Mazda brand. So, there's a chance.

I had few issues with the service of Colonial Motors at the beginning. But they seems to have improved themselves with time. I find them really easy to deal with. I hope things will get more positive with them in the future.

I'm sorry I have to agree with MasterDon about the looks of the new Mazda 3. If I had that money, I would buy a Mazda 6 any day :).

If u go through the end pists of Post Whoring thread you will see that someone,I think Magnum, stated that the Mazda agent offered the Axela Hybrid at a higher price (than outside importers) and a 6 month warranty. It doesn't seem to be a formal launch of the Hybrid variant so it might not make too much sense in going to the agent for the Hybrid.

Also, Sahanlak, is the SkyActiv variant 1.5L or 2.0L ?

Edited by iRage

If u go through the end pists of Post Whoring thread you will see that someone,I think Magnum, stated that the Mazda agent offered the Axela Hybrid at a higher price (than outside importers) and a 6 month warranty. It doesn't seem to be a formal launch of the Hybrid variant so it might not make too much sense in going to the agent for the Hybrid.

Also, Sahanlak, is the SkyActiv variant 1.5L or 2.0L ?

Thanks for the reply, iRage. SkyActive comes with 2.0L