• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A/c Not Working At Idle

gsumithm

Need help from experts & owners who experienced same situation before.
My car is Kia Rio(2003 model)

Continuous rattling noise came from engine bay from compressor and it was compressor clutch plate.
As suggested by A/C technician I replaced,
1.Compressor clutch plate

2.Pulley assembly

3.Bearing

4.A/C hose (since there was a leak-confirmed by dye test)

5.Filled gas

Now I've noticed that the AC will no longer blow cold air if I've been idling too long (either parked, sitting in traffic, at a long traffic light, etc.) Once I start driving again, it cools back down like normal.

Now technician is suggesting me to replace compressor which will cost me 17,500/- (reconditioned), 34,000/- (brand new)

Already I've spent 12,000/- regarding this issue.
Now i'm bit confused and seeking some advice on 'what to do' ?

• Like 1

Need help from experts & owners who experienced same situation before.

My car is Kia Rio(2003 model)

Continuous rattling noise came from engine bay from compressor and it was compressor clutch plate.

As suggested by A/C technician I replaced,

1.Compressor clutch plate

2.Pulley assembly

3.Bearing

4.A/C hose (since there was a leak-confirmed by dye test)

5.Filled gas

Now I've noticed that the AC will no longer blow cold air if I've been idling too long (either parked, sitting in traffic, at a long traffic light, etc.) Once I start driving again, it cools back down like normal.

Now technician is suggesting me to replace compressor which will cost me 17,500/- (reconditioned), 34,000/- (brand new)

Already I've spent 12,000/- regarding this issue.

Now i'm bit confused and seeking some advice on 'what to do' ?

there is a system to increase RPM of ur engine when A/C on while idling, you need to check that no need to change ur compressor if it give good cool air when u driving

i'll PM my A/C techs phone number call him (he only replace wht is necessary if not repairable)

btw recon A/C comp only cost bet 6500-10,000/- in Susmitha @ Nawala

once you reproduced this problem, if you rev up the engine (say 2.5K RPM,but vehicle is standstill) , then AC works fine?.

If the answer is YES, probably your technician is right.

If the answer is NO, that means AC is working fine when the vehicle is moving only. that means AC condenser or it functionality (ex:Fan) doesn't work properly

• Like 1

there is a system to increase RPM of ur engine when A/C on while idling, you need to check that no need to change ur compressor if it give good cool air when u driving

i'll PM my A/C techs phone number call him (he only replace wht is necessary if not repairable)

btw recon A/C comp only cost bet 6500-10,000/- in Susmitha @ Nawala

@aps

RPM is around 700-850 at idle while a/c is on (i think it's normal).

btw i chkd sasmitha thy quoted 19,500/- for Korean compressor.17,500/- at Aj*nt*a m*tors

once you reproduced this problem, if you rev up the engine (say 2.5K RPM,but vehicle is standstill) , then AC works fine?.

If the answer is YES, probably your technician is right.

If the answer is NO, that means AC is working fine when the vehicle is moving only. that means AC condenser or it functionality (ex:Fan) doesn't work properly

@MV-5

ya,if i accelerate to 1500-2000 rpm while vehicle is standstill, as u said,again a/c blowing cold air

If the clutch and idle-up switch working properly,the reason may be that your compressor is unable to give enough compression at low RPM. If so no remedy other than replacing.

as i mentioned earlier,cluth was replaced recently due to dis a/c issue.

i hav no idea abt idle-up switch.

my a/c technician also said "compressor culdn't compress/giv enough compression at idle" as u mentioned

The issue here is quite simple. The compressor is not producing enough compression at idle rpm.

This could be because of low gas or a fault with the compressor. To check this you need to attach a pressure gauge to the AC circuit and check compression at idle and then revved up and it will become obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

finally i replaced with a used Korean compressor.done full service.replcd condensor filter.
now a/c working fine at idle and at normal drive.

but i felt 'cool' is not enough (around 12-3 pm othrwise ok) and rechkd wid technician,but he said pressure at idle (230-250) and at 2000 rpm (320) is ok.
he replied dat cooling issue is may b due to "hot weather"

Edited by gsumithm

finally i replaced with a used Korean compressor.done full service.replcd condensor filter.

but i felt 'cool' is not enough (around 12-3 pm othrwise ok) and rechkd wid technician,but he said pressure at idle (230-250) and at 2000 rpm (320) is ok.

can you adjust temp of ur A/C ?

Sounds pretty much like the reply you would get from a typical A/C workshop in Ethulkotte area :D What's a condensor filter by the way?

I don't think he fixed the right compressor for your car.

Edited by Crosswind

This is a typical problem in SL. This issue is either the condenser is not doing a good enough job cooling, the compressor is not compressing enough or the expansion valve on the evaporator is faulty.

Does the situation improve is you spray water on the condenser? Check the condenser fan, another usual culprit. Also check the pressure cut off.

• 7 months later...

Your prob seems to be partially resolved, one more thing, have you looked at your cooling system? as a "hot" running engine will not properly cool the condenser as the rad is next to it.Also make sure both cooling fans work with the compressor. so as a precaution , replace the thermostat valve+rad cap and add fresh coolant as if no maintenance has been done to your car's cooling system before it blows up and empties your wallet.

I've seen recon Hyundai Accent's having smaller radiators than the brand new models of the same age/model .As Hyundai Own Kia you may have the same prob,

Yes the time you mentioned is the hottest in Col and gives the hardest workout for your a/c., overfilling of refrigerant is a common mistake our a/c mechs make,we must take into account that your car is more than ten years old and make sufficient adjustments for the age/mileage. if you drive an auto get the idle speed checked as when you engage D , there is a significant drop in Rpm

Lastly,do a good clean up of the condenser and give it a gentle wash . you'll be amazed with the results.

And increase A/c idle up to approx 900 Rpm it will cause less load on everything,

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1