• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Leaf And Future Of Electric Vehicles In Sri Lanka

zee boy

Well to add to this, after reading the plethora of EV threads, and bit of car sale mongering, I am considering,a EV, probably a leaf

Just adding an average chap's view here

Yes as Crosswind mentioned, it is selfish of us to load our burdened electricity system, and there is a marginal duty that we can do. I totally agree. Btw I am a healthcare professional and have no clue about advanced A/C electricity matters (level- Noob).

So this is biased towards the car rather

Why I consider an EV? frankly, I have no concern for the bragged fuel economy, as simply I do not / never owned a vehicle which did >10kmpl, so fuel economy is not my concern, so the next unicorn

Environmental awareness? Not exactly, I had a few petrol SUVs along the line, so I guess that answers that question too.

Well to answer my own question; Being a petrolhead, I consider an EV as I am keen to experience this new dimension of motoring enthusiasm, after all EVs pull really well, have a low center of gravity if designed, lot of potential to flex into the various aspects of motoring, of-course the prime target of motoring is ignored as of now, travelling long distances, Well true range does have a long way to go unless you can afford a Tesla. I'd have to sell my house for that :sad-smiley-068:

Well the next appealing thing about the leaf at the given moment is, the price, yes

As it will not be replacing my current vehicle, It would be testing waters, Then again I do not want to lose my investment, so the outcome; only time will tell, but as of now, the so called "market eka" is a solid NO

But due to the tax schemes these "different" vehicles are sold at rather approachable prices, compared to other vehicles in the market (of-course they have an engine)

Well in most countries the story is different as EVs are considered rather expensive as non-EV counterparts are competitively priced.

So my bottom line is, its a fascinating side to motoring, this EV craze, and it is a marginally affordable exercise to someone who can afford a hybrid or higher / or 2 average 2010s automobiles, after-all its going to nourish your "thel hinganna gland", if you have one that is :)

So that makes me a Tree hating, selfish, potential electricity hog innit'. :speechless-smiley-004:

Another Sri Lankan

Thanks

Edited by tiv

http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/ceb-announces-new-off-peak-tariff-to-charge-electric-vehicles/

Off peak tariff is in fact already being offered as per above between 10.30pm and 5.30am

Charging during this time will be fine (up to a limit) and CEB will also get some much needed income.

More plants are needed if the load requirement increases during peak hours. We don't need new capacity to charge cars at night me thinks.

This is good.

but keep in mind it is offered only to 3phase customers.

Not many households would have that facility.

The CEB and the govt should implement these in a wide scale before allowing the market to be flooded with EVs.

I still don't think the go green euphoria is what encouraged the govt to promote EVs.

As far as I could understand we were doing all right with Hybrids.

Govt got good tax income, people got cars at a reasonable(SL standard) price and the fuel efficiency went up.

As everyone know in Sri Lanka the roadmaps doesn't always become reality, so better to have the infrastructure in place 1st and then open the door for customers.

Edited by B2Spirit

Can you tell us how you plan to enforce this 2230-0400 charging time ?

Answer: Very Simple. There are enough control systems (with timers) and electricity meters. Already the CEB industrial meters having remote monitoring features (I personally know) but not using as other infrastructure still developing. We could plug our car at night. Control system will do it. CEB has to give new connections (actualy one more meter to be fixed only) as a national policy. This has under discussion now....

Early stages. Only three phase. So you can imagine how many EV users this will cover :)

We don't need to build Sampur to charge electric cars.

Sampur is needed to ensure that we can continue to provide electricity to the entire country around the clock.

Answer: Sampur is building not for electric cars man.. Its to provide low cost energy to fulfill the requirement of the country. Norochcholai is currently providing a unit for 5-7 rupees while diesel plant cost around 20-30 rupees. If sampur completed we could shout down some diesel and entire cost will be reduced not only for EV but for entire industry and poor households. (Do you know, All the plant cost of Norochcholai is recovered now. Considering the environment matter, 99.5 % exhaust dust are collected and only 0.5 % could be go out. Its minor considering the impact of the vehicle emission).

Learn to read better next time. I said we don't (not we do) need sampur for cars.

The Only way the EVs are gonna be green is if they use the excess capacity coming out of solar systems. For you to do that u have to become a bat so that u can sleep during the day and roam during the night.

Answer: No need to argue on this as by looking this I could just say you have no idea about electricity / power / generation efficiency related matters. Using more efficient generation means less harm to environment. Yes, solar is extream end but IC engine is at low end. So what ever in between should be considered towards green. Hybrids are greener than Non hybrid due to higher efficiency. EV's are greener than them as those are depends on efficiency of the power plants which is more than hybrids with engines.

Hope the reservoirs stay full bro, because otherwise we would be turning on those lovely diesels so loved by the power mafia.

Because until your fancy meters come online to the market, people will charge from the moment they get home.

Any way, accepted that, there are draw backs on EV's. That's why I told in my previous post, we have to change our life style to take the maximum benefit of it. Otherwise it will not suitable for us.

Every things are having pros and cons. Decisions should be taken by doing "Cost benefit analysis".

Lots of people telling thing by looking only pros or only cons. It will not beneficial to the nation.

But if you forget all these, still a EV like Leaf would cost Rs.9 per KM.

Calculated Assuming 120km range on 24KWh battery.

1Kwh = 5Km. 1 KWh = Rs.45, (let's not try to sugarcoat this by quoting the unit prices under 180 units).

Now, If you take a car with petrol engine (Hybrid or Non/Hybrid), to beat that figure all you need is a fuel economy of 14Km/l (that is Rs.128/9 = 14.22km).

Which is a figure most of the modern cars in similar class/size can comfortably beat and even hybrids of a larger size would comfortably outdo it.

On top of that you don't need to worry about range.

So where is the advantage of EVs as the technology and energy prices of SL stand today ? (Other than the fact that the Govts Crazy EV promoting tax breaks have made them cheaper)

Edited by B2Spirit

Charging during this time will be fine (up to a limit) and CEB will also get some much needed income.

Well I don't think CEB is starved for income by any stretch of imagination.

They just have too many expenses along with Petroleum Corp :P

We can only hope & dream that somebody will someday fix these 2 (should be easily profitable) corporations.

• 7 months later...

So you are saying that because Tesla built a state of the art factory in Nevada, electric cars in Sri Lanka will be able to charge without long waiting times(just like a petrol station) at every 20kms in near future without a hassle? What I expect is usage of extension battery packs as aftermarket product. In Europe,some company is producing these for eGolf,claims to increase range by 70km,but cost is still high at about euro6000-1million LKR.

Edited by RViji

Early stages. Only three phase. So you can imagine how many EV users this will cover :)

Learn to read better next time. I said we don't (not we do) need sampur for cars.

Hope the reservoirs stay full bro, because otherwise we would be turning on those lovely diesels so loved by the power mafia.

Because until your fancy meters come online to the market, people will charge from the moment they get home.

But if you forget all these, still a EV like Leaf would cost Rs.9 per KM.

Calculated Assuming 120km range on 24KWh battery.

1Kwh = 5Km. 1 KWh = Rs.45, (let's not try to sugarcoat this by quoting the unit prices under 180 units).

Now, If you take a car with petrol engine (Hybrid or Non/Hybrid), to beat that figure all you need is a fuel economy of 14Km/l (that is Rs.128/9 = 14.22km).

Which is a figure most of the modern cars in similar class/size can comfortably beat and even hybrids of a larger size would comfortably outdo it.

On top of that you don't need to worry about range.

So where is the advantage of EVs as the technology and energy prices of SL stand today ? (Other than the fact that the Govts Crazy EV promoting tax breaks have made them cheaper)

I have a Leaf and a Fit GP5

Leaf average 4.5 Km/ Kwh so that is Rs. 10/- which i intend to cut down to Rs. 2.89 with TOU metering (with out car charging i consume around 300 units so there is a saving even without factoring EV charging), if you have access to commercial rate for EV charging it will be Rs. 4-5 per Km

Fit does around 12 Km/ l i.e. Rs. 9.75/-

So even if you charge at Rs. 45 you break even , when you factor servicing you save.