• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Please Need An Advice.......

nalinda55

Question

Hi all

Im a beginner in this field and this is my first post. im not sure to which catogary should i post this.

I have a toyota vitz car (my first vehicle) and i took my vehicle to a garage following an accident by which the buffer(right side) and the part between the buffer and door ( don't know exagly whats its name )damaged.I kept it there about 3 weeks and the day i went to

take it back found that the left side of the buffer is not properly fixed. they said the "retainer" has damaged already ( but the insurence people or the mechanics have not noticed while making primary estimation and while i was visiting the garage prior to fix it several times they have not informed me.). Not only that , when i was starting the engine found that there was a big vibration in the engine and t he vehicle spontaneously stopped. clock time was zero and the reverse camera wasnt working.

They check the engine and told me that the carburettor has been blocked with carbon.. after cleaning it that problem resolved. But other problems persisting.

I need to resolve following problems.

1.i wont be able to claim for the 'retainer" from the insurence company. If so should the garage owner correct the fault with his expenses?

2. can there be a blockage of carburetor when a vehicle not driving for about 3 weeks?

3. what are the reason for making the clock zero and not working the reverse cameera. ( another guy told that they have removed the battery and that should be the reason for making the clock zero and malfunction of the reverse cam)

im really Appreciating your replies. Thanks.

15 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum.

First of all, no idea which specific retainer yoy are referring too,but most parts that bolt the bumper to the car are not that expensive (if that helps at all)

Secondly, yes the clock will reset to zero when the battery is disconnected. Depending on the type of radio thepre-programmed channels also could be gone. As for the reverse camera, I have no idea. Could be a loose connection/blown fuse or even a matter of re-configuring the system.

Anyway, I wrote all of the above just to ask you this...What the heck were you thinking just leaving your car at a garage seemingly unknown to you ????!!!! From what you have written and what has unfolded it seems like u never went to check up on the work ? Also 3 weeks ? How bad was the damage ? 'cause 3 wks seem like anaweful long time to fix a dented fender and a cracked bumper.

thanks a lot for the quick reply iRage. yes it was a bad damaged.new bumper applied and fender ( that should be the name of the part. :) ) repaired. i went 4 or ,5 times to see the repairing but yes im kinda not interested on frequent visits.( and suffering now :( )

the garage owner said that the retainer is the clip like thing which connecting the buffer to vehicle which cost Rs3500 like. ( its nothing.. but should i spend for that as they have not done the work properly..? ) still wonder what happen to the cam.... :(

Edited by nalinda55

1. Depends on the insurance company. If your company deals directly with the garage, then the garage people should replace the retainer and include the cost in the invoice. The insurance company will might settle that too. You should talk to both parties and figure out the best solution.

2. If the car was repaired with the battery disconnected, the ECU would have been reset. Further, if excessive dust was collected on your engine within the three weeks, it might have been pulled into the air intake which caused starting problem. They should have tried to clean the air filter before attempting to clean the throttle body. Now that's fixed anyway, no point in arguing about it.

3. Yes, they would have disconnected the battery, which is fine. As for the reverse camera, since they repaired the bumper, they might have forgotten to reconnect it.

Edited by Davy

I can only answer that issue with your reverse cam:

I have a pioneer set as the reverse cam display, and if the battery is disconnected, I have to again reconfigure all settings in that Dvd player. This includes something called "battery polarity" for the reverse cam.

Is yours an aftermarket DVD player?

Hang on a minute. Did vitz ever come with a carburetor? Dd you give the car to a bajaj authorised service center?

:D Thought the same, but I'm pretty sure they were referring to the throttle body.

Lol, I too assumed it was the TB. I also assumed that it was the garage that called the TB a carb, which made me ask what the heck he was thinking leaving the car there.

Now, OP. Depending on the car there could be several retainers, no idea how many are there in the Vitz, but 3500 seems about ok for a new part ? You might find a used one cheaper if u shop around the usual haunts.

Glad to hear u went there 4 or 5 times. Did u ask the garage why and how they could not have identified and notified u of the broken retainer earlier ?Unfortunately, in SL you dont get the option of not paying close attention and not doing many visits. U can choose not to be involved but rest assured the garage will rape u of everything. I strongly recommend that you get an intro to a trusty mech for future issues.

U never mentioned if the damage was the front or the back bumper. I assumed it was the front and Davy obviously thought it was the rear. In which case it could be exactly what he mentioned with the rev. cam :)

Edited by iRage

It is unlikely that you will get a claim from your insurance for the damage was on the right side but the retainer that is damaged is on the left side. I get the feeling that the damage is at the rear although you have not been specific and hence follow Davy's advise above. Is this the black colored retainer fixed to the body with a single screw at the middle? If so, unless the garage people have been very careful in removing the bumper this particular retainer gets damaged very easily. You should have a similar retainer at the right side (damaged side) as well. Was it in tact after the accident? You may buy the part as the cost is almost right and account the cost under your budget set aside for education.

With regard to your engine being rough after 3 weeks, it is very much likely that your Idle Air Control Valve has become sticky and needed some cleaning. Even though the problem seems to have disappeared for now it is better to get a full tune up done.

One more thing. Better to avoid this particular garage as others have pointed out above.

Edited by Rumesh88

U never mentioned if the damage was the front or the back bumper. I assumed it was the front and Davy obviously thought it was the rear. In which case it could be exactly what he mentioned with the rev. cam :)

Oops! Yes I did. :) I imagined the reverse camera not working as being related to the repair, so assumed that it was the rear bumper.

1. Depends on the insurance company. If your company deals directly with the garage, then the garage people should replace the retainer and include the cost in the invoice. The insurance company will might settle that too. You should talk to both parties and figure out the best solution.

2. If the car was repaired with the battery disconnected, the ECU would have been reset. Further, if excessive dust was collected on your engine within the three weeks, it might have been pulled into the air intake which caused starting problem. They should have tried to clean the air filter before attempting to clean the throttle body. Now that's fixed anyway, no point in arguing about it.

3. Yes, they would have disconnected the battery, which is fine. As for the reverse camera, since they repaired the bumper, they might have forgotten to reconnect it.

thanks for the reply davy....

1. insurence company informed that they will not settle that. as it wasnt there during the estimation of both parties... the garage people and the assesment of insurence company. they asked from me to talk with garage to get it down from their expense. but seems the garage owner is so cunning. :)

2.sorry i dont know what is ECU mean by.

3. bumper isnt the rear one

I can only answer that issue with your reverse cam:

I have a pioneer set as the reverse cam display, and if the battery is disconnected, I have to again reconfigure all settings in that Dvd player. This includes something called "battery polarity" for the reverse cam.

Is yours an aftermarket DVD player?

Dear nsiva.

my set is pioneer carrozzeria AVIC-MRZ09. unfortunately all the info in japanese. but with the help of translater i tried to make the setting.i found there is only option for reverse camera and it was its "on" mode. but still camera isnt working.i couldnt find any other option.

and yes its an aftermarket DVD

Lol, I too assumed it was the TB. I also assumed that it was the garage that called the TB a carb, which made me ask what the heck he was thinking leaving the car there.

Now, OP. Depending on the car there could be several retainers, no idea how many are there in the Vitz, but 3500 seems about ok for a new part ? You might find a used one cheaper if u shop around the usual haunts.

Glad to hear u went there 4 or 5 times. Did u ask the garage why and how they could not have identified and notified u of the broken retainer earlier ?Unfortunately, in SL you dont get the option of not paying close attention and not doing many visits. U can choose not to be involved but rest assured the garage will rape u of everything. I strongly recommend that you get an intro to a trusty mech for future issues.

thats the reason. they didnt notify the broken retainer and never responded untill i was asking when i went to settle the bill.yes. hereafter i wont go to that place for sure.....:)

thats the reason. they didnt notify the broken retainer and never responded untill i was asking when i went to settle the bill.yes. hereafter i wont go to that place for sure.....:)