• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Used Car Odometer Readings

GKWKK

Question

Dear Members

I recently inspected few cars (04 nos FB15 & 01- AE110), Though most of the sellers/Owners told me that they do have all maintenance records with them. But they don't have even Green test Certificates. Therefore I'm doubtful with the Odometer readings.

With my bitter past buying experience I'm reluctant to buy those vehicles :speechless-smiley-019:

Could you please help me to clarify below questions;

• Isn't it illegal to change odometer readings , Will tampering ODO resale value effecteed ?
  • How we can Check the correct odometer reading (Can we do this using a scanner)?
  • Are there any places in Colombo/Suburbs to get full vehicle Check up report?
  • How much does it Cost / Average time?

Thank you in advance for your expert comments !

Edited by GKWKK

6 answers to this question

My advice for you is, these cars are more than 10years old and most of them has exceeded 200000km mark so no point bothering about the millage just consider the overall condition of the car and buy it. Most probably odo meter has been tampered at least one instance of their life time.

Edited by peugeot407
  • Like 2

Dear Members

I recently inspected few cars (04 nos FB15 & 01- AE110), Though most of the sellers/Owners told me that they do have all maintenance records with them. But they don't have even Green test Certificates. Therefore I'm doubtful with the Odometer readings.

With my bitter past buying experience I'm reluctant to buy those vehicles :speechless-smiley-019:

• Isn't it illegal to change odometer readings , Will tampering ODO resale value effecteed ?
  • How we can Check the correct odometer reading (Can we do this using a scanner)?

There is a place, Prices range from Rs 2000- 4500, i'd recommend them, you can find their page on fb, I think it is against rules to mention a name here

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

There is a place, Prices range from Rs 2000- 4500, i'd recommend them, you can find their page on fb, I think it is against rules to mention a name here

Pl PM me the name & contact details.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Members

1. not sure about the legal situation, but it s unethical for sure. but I can remember one gentlemen went to courts regarding the same issue against a car seller ( it was in the newspaper)

2. in some vehicles, yes - you might be able to do it when the car is with multiple memory places, provided the fellow has not change them all.

eg: freelander 2, but for the models you are behind - I dont think so

3. all the agents do issue inspection certificates, in fact nowadays most of the buyers do that especially when buying hybrids, so I recommend the relevant agent for that matter

4. price - varies, depending on the agent, model etc, so you need to give 2 telephone calls to the 2 agents

Do you know of a place to check whether the odometer's been tampered with? Is such a thing even possible? (Other than looking for physical wear and tear that is not consistent with the mileage and verifying the span of ownership against the service records, is there any other way to verify the actual mileage?)

Edited by Kavvz

Do you know of a place to check whether the odometer's been tampered with? Is such a thing even possible? (Other than looking for physical wear and tear that is not consistent with the mileage and verifying the span of ownership against the service records, is there any other way to verify the actual mileage?)

AFAIK, other than physically inspecting the vehicle for various signs that suggest its overall age, and comparing with whatever service/ related history, there is no consistent way, as these crooks get to the point where they replace the entire gauge cluster with lower mileage units and so on. Some say loose dashboard trim and fascia in a relatively new vehicle (<10000km) is a sign, but nevertheless not conclusive.