• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help - Clear Coat Question

ferrarif50

Question

4 answers to this question

Its a separate step..

Am no expert by any means, but from what I've been able to observe getting various dings and scrapes fixed is that: The paint gets put on (in multiple coats) and then the clear coat goes on top of that after the paint has dried / cured and the paint guy is happy with the finish. (I've seen them fine sand the paint and then go back, paint, and wait for it to dry etc. if they don't get it right the first time as from what I understand, any imperfections in the paint are magnified when the clear-coat goes on.)

More importantly why are you asking? Isn't this something your paint guy / body-shop should already know and have a lot of experience with? If they don't know and aren't really in a position to provide expert advice I wouldn't really trust them to work on the car!!

Always apply clear coat seperately.I've heard some makabaases mix clear and base coats together but that is utter nonsense and defeats the purpose of the clear coat altogether.There is a obsolete trick where people add a little bit of the base colour to the last clear coat layer to get a certain look but that could go horribly and wrong and should be left to the most seasoned auto painters.

Earlier there was a ROCK clear coat that we have to mix with the final coat. However if you are using DeBeer HS lacquer you have to apply it separately.

If you do not intend to apply clear coat (solid colours) you have to mix the final coat in a different manner usually done at the paint shop(rarely practiced in Sri Lanka)

Thanks Guys, actually I have misunderstood what paint shop owner said. :sad-smiley-066:

What they have told is that they do not apply a clear coat to solid colors, but they do if the owner ask for it as peugeot407 said. also sometimes they mix them for solid colors to get that look. I assume that's what MasterDon mentioned.

I was talking to the painter yesterday and he clearly said that the clear coat will be applied after the final coat is done and dry.

Thanks for you time guys! really appreciate your help :)