• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic Eg8 Suspension

derickreaper

Question

Hi guys, I just wanna know, I have a 92 civic eg8 and when I load passenger's my rear left side wheel touches the shock spring or the wheel arch, specially when I turn.. It has 195x55x16 tyres, I know the alloys are big, but I've seen 17" on some eg8 and it runs fine.. So i think it's the shocks.. But i would like to know your ideas on how to fix it or replace it.. Which is better and any suggestions that I can better my driving experience

2 answers to this question

Hi guys, I just wanna know, I have a 92 civic eg8 and when I load passenger's my rear left side wheel touches the shock spring or the wheel arch, specially when I turn.. It has 195x55x16 tyres, I know the alloys are big, but I've seen 17" on some eg8 and it runs fine.. So i think it's the shocks.. But i would like to know your ideas on how to fix it or replace it.. Which is better and any suggestions that I can better my driving experience

Its not the shocks. Its your alloys. The offset is not enough to clear the shocks when your car is fully loaded.

You either need wheels with the correct offset so there is enough clearence, or you need to use spacers.

Go to Amila in Hill street Dehiwala, they should be able to advice you.

This is a typical problem of using oversize wheels. Remember clearence should be on both sides. The wheel should sink into the wheel arch as well, not just clear the spring.

When you are up sizing , you can't blindly decide the profile of the tyre. Check with a online tyre size calculator tool like 1010tyre.com about the correct profile for 16 alloys. For 15 inch , its 195/50, so I think 195/55 most probably too much. Im using 195/50/15 in my Eg without issues (even with 4 adults at the back!) .If you want to use existing alloys with tyre , there are extreme options like fender rolling , but I personally don't prefer that sort of a option. Check at Civic-eg.com if you want to know further on fender rolling.

As Don mentioned, best bet would be to get an advice from Amila, and you can even swap your existing set for a suitable one from there.