• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Help On Deciding What To Buy As The First Vehicle

anubis

Question

I'm about to buy my first vehicle. my budget is Rs. 2.8M (max ). i find it very difficult to decide on what car to buy.

I've gone a bit forward with mazda demio, as i feel like i should go for a hatchback. i could find a 2011 1.3cc demio for Rs. 2.85M, which i liked most. but i'm afraid to pay that much for it (due to negative things others pointed out. mainly low resale value, its a hatchback etc...).

I thought about this as much as i can but couldn't come to any conclusion (that should be normal as i've almost no knowledge about this field). I'm posting this here, as my first post, hoping someone will shed some light helping me to find a way out (I have high feelings about these forums as i've often found a good bit of news here). I'm open to any suggestions. But for some reason, i prefer demios over the others. but of course, with valid reasons, i might be able to think of something else too.. :)

Edited by anubis
  • Like 1

12 answers to this question

Just tell me one thing. If you are in love with a girl and if your friends say you shouldnt marry her because she can't cook, then will you look for someone else? Do you let others take decisions on behalf of you?

If you like the demio, buy it. Only god (or someone of equal ability) can say what the resale value of a car will be, after some time.

I have a car with no resale value at all... im enjoying every moment in it. If I listened to siripala next door and bought an allion or premio, I would have hated to even step in to it.

• Like 9

Don't let "getting rid of it" be the sole deciding factor. If you like it that much, buy it, use it and have fun with it. Worry about selling it when you actually want to sell it.

You're buying a used car anyway so a large portion of "perception value loss" is already taken care of.

If the car is in good nick, you will always have a buyer. I've had a friend struggle flipping a Nissan and I managed to move a "bad resale" vehicle within a fortnight. It's never as bad as the neighbours say.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum!

While it is always a good idea to seek the opinions of others before buying a vehicle, you should seek advice from people who provide answers with good reasoning.

A few weeks back, I bought a 2008 Demio for my parents and the advertisement only lasted for about 18 hours in the classifieds site. I came across such examples even while I was hunting for the car for about a month - they disappeared really fast. Your friends are probably taking about the basic version of the Demio, because the fully loaded one has a high demand.

My father absolutely loves the car. Before all this, they were brainwashed by relatives and friends to go for a Toyota (Vitz) or a Hybrid (Fit).

More information here.

• Like 2

Just tell me one thing. If you are in love with a girl and if your friends say you shouldnt marry her because she can't cook, then will you look for someone else? Do you let others take decisions on behalf of you? If you like the demio, buy it. Only god (or someone of equal ability) can say what the resale value of a car will be, after some time. I have a car with no resale value at all... im enjoying every moment in it. If I listened to siripala next door and bought an allion or premio, I would have hated to even step in to it.

This is a 110% complete answer

• Like 1

If you like a particular model that mean you have done some research to an extent and you know about it. Just buy it. Enjoy the drive.why would you spend 2.8M and buy your neighbors or work colleague choice of car?

• Like 1

Please don't listen to Tom's Dicks and Harries who sometimes speak out of their anus.

A long time ago when my Dad brought a car with automatic transmission some folks (among them a friend of his who was a mechanic at local Toyota)

was saying 'auto gear lankawata hariyanne na' 'aiyo ai auto gear gatte' I admit driving an auto isn't as fun as a manual but their arguments were not based on that ...it was based on resale and maintainability ...well look at the situation now ....

This is the mentality in SL. I guess the only place where a 12-15 year old Corolla 121 costs you your entire scrotum and a rusting 110 costs you your left nut.

Edited by matroska
  • Like 3

This is the mentality in SL. I guess the only place where a 12-15 year old Corolla 121 costs you your entire scrotum and a rusting 110 costs you your left nut.

Well said.

@OP - Decide on the utility you expect from a car after spending 2.8m. Some just want a car to move from A to B on four wheels. Others, in addition, wants to do it with maximum fuel saving and resale value. Then comes things like cost of maintenance, features, performance, prestige, etc., . You will never get a car that fits into all the criteria. Hence, base your decision on the priorities. For example, if prestige or performance is your priority in owning a car, is there a point in buying an Axio Hybrid (which is my daily runner anyway :speechless-smiley-004:)? As for the pressure from friends/family/relatives, believe me I had to wait until I moved to ME to own a Mazda!

One more thing. A well maintained car is always easier to sell. I know person who drives a common Maruti but with all rubber parts, beading, interior etc in pristine condition. People come behind him asking for the car.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 2

Buying a car is absolutely a personal preference. If you really really up for a particular car go for it.

But I suggest you should have valid reasons for your decision. If you don't have any prior exposure, take your time, understand your requirement, do some research, call to sellers, go and see them, have a test drive, check different cars, different types etc etc... that'll really help you to make your own decision.

• Like 1

Buying a car is absolutely a personal preference. If you really really up for a particular car go for it.

But I suggest you should have valid reasons for your decision. If you don't have any prior exposure, take your time, understand your requirement, do some research, call to sellers, go and see them, have a test drive, check different cars, different types etc etc... that'll really help you to make your own decision.

best way to get an idea.. there are some cars that when you go and sit inside and start up the engine you get that 'wow' factor. some car's just don't have it .... you will feel "this is the car for me " when you have a good look at it...for a start why don't you go and inspect a few cars in your shortlist?

• Like 1

@anubis: I hope you know what to do now (if you haven't bought a car yet). Let me shared what happened to me.

When I thought of buying a Demio, everybody around me discouraged me to buy it. Everyone suggested me to buy a vehicle with good resale value. Some even went on to compare Demio and Vitz (no offence) to encourage me to buy a Vitz. The funny part is that majority of them didn't even know a thing about these cars. But to me, Demio was the best looking car in the category and I wanted to own one. I did my own research. I read almost all threads in this forum related to Demio. Actually, I didn't have any new questions to ask. Everything I wanted to know was there in the forum. So I went on and bought myself a Demio. And the next day, one of my office colleagues offered me Rs.100,000/= more to own it. Hope you get the point.

I own the car for more than a year now and I absolutely love it. If you need any help with your car, you always have this forum. I strongly suggest you to read the entire thread shared by Davy (if you haven't done it already).

Edited by Sameera Gunasinghe
  • Like 3