• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Fit Hybrid Cvt

AMI0755

Question

This is about the CVT oil change.

My neighbor uses a FIT 2007 model which is serviced by Stafford. The maintenance card given by Stafford says to change most of the oils in 10k or 15K intervals. It says to change the CVT oil every 15K

I own a FIT Hybrid 2012 serviced by Sterling, Personally I am not happy about their service, but i have to stick to them if i am to keep my warranty. I have asked them about CVT change and they say to change after 30k km, and when the indicator comes up.

I am not sure whether they have the correct CVT oil and also little bit worried after what they did with my Engine oil replacement. They used 5w-30m in the first service and 0W-20m in the second oil change. the fuel efficiency in much better now than after the first oil change. I have learned now that the correct oil since this is a new car is 0w-20m (Correct me if i am wrong).

Here comes the questions

1 - Has any one done a CVT change in Sterling (I know of one post that says about changing the CVT in Stafford and being void for a Gear box problem on a car with Sterling warranty)

2 - Do i have to change the CVT oil every 15k km, because there are my friends who have not done so but do not have any problem. And also i have learned that Stafford has its own agenda with sales.

7 answers to this question

Here comes the questions

1 - Has any one done a CVT change in Sterling (I know of one post that says about changing the CVT in Stafford and being void for a Gear box problem on a car with Sterling warranty)

2 - Do i have to change the CVT oil every 15k km, because there are my friends who have not done so but do not have any problem. And also i have learned that Stafford has its own agenda with sales.

1. I've done it at Sterling. They had the correct oil (Honda CVTF) when I did it. Dont let them put anything else than Honda CVTF.

2. It's better that you change it at 15k intervals. It would increase the life of your gearbox especially in harsh driving conditions as SL. Sterling would not do this at 15k and their advice for me was 'wait till the indicator comes up'. Force them and get it done at your desired mileage.

Edited by ramishkad

Didn't someone here mention that the indicator comes on only when there's a problem with the gearbox?

I think I did.

Here is what my service manual (for Civic FD3) says about the indicator :

"The ‘‘D’’ indicator comes on for a few seconds when you turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position. If it flashes while driving (in any shift position), it indicates a possible problem in the transmission. If the malfunction indicator lamp comes on along with the ‘‘D’’ indicator, there is a problem with the automatic transmission control system. Avoid rapid acceleration, and have the transmission checked by your dealer as soon as possible."

On some Honda vehicle models, there is a system called the Maintenance Minder. This system can indicate a required CVT oil change before an actual fault appears. But not all cars have these. Mine doesn't and still Sterling were hell bent on telling me to wait for the indicator to come on. Had I waited, it would be after a fault had developed with the transmission. So take their advice with a grain of salt and do your own research.

Does the service manual mention preferred engine oil ? is it 5w - 30 or 0w - 20 ?

Not sure about Fit service manual. Mine does though. It says 0w-20 for mine. Im pretty sure its the same for Fit hybrid GP1 as well.

Edited by ramishkad

I have read the Japanese owners manual for Honda Vezel hybrid (but I don't own one LOL). It recommends Honda Ultra 0W-20 Oil for any ambient temperature. It is because a fully synthetic oil.

I think Mo*il 1 0W-20 fully synthetic is available in SL, and must be good.