• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Home Air Conditioners Help ....

Ginger

Question

Early Wishes for a very happy new year.....

Appreciate if you could share your experience or advise accordingly.

I am planning air conditioning my newly built home in Kotte.

I will need AC units as follow.

18000BTU - 02 units

12000BTU - 03 units

9000BTU - 01 unit

18000BTU and 12000BTU units are for bedrooms and 9000BTU is for my small office room. Heavy use will be only week ends.

I did some price and technology research in the market - it is just like the auto market. The leading companies as agents for leading brands - the prices are very high with VAT etc....

Then moved to some small retail importers, the prices vary very heavily for the same brand with same features with conflicting stories and finally became quite confusing.

Specially for the Panasonic / LG / Misubishi / latest inverter models.

1. Since not a heavy user, is it a good decision to move to Inverter models or use normal ACs ..??

2. Could you propose a good brand and retail importer to partner with for this small project

Planning coming to SL next week to finalize.

Thanks all in advance...

I had to replace my office A/C due to very high electricity bills. We need a 24000BTU unit and we used to run bills up to LKR30000 and sometimes more. Ours is a small office of 5 people and we usually work for 8-10 hours a day.

We moved to a Hitachi inverter model later and since then our bills have been hovering around 10000. We had to spend about 270k on the unit but it was a worthy investment.

If you want, I can put some images of the bills. But it'll take till Monday.

Thanks Charlie. I think 24000BTU Pansonic econavy model is cheaper than whaty you paid. Was it through agents or some other party. The lowest quote for my project is around 600,000/=. The highest aroun 1.2m. The issue is, not only the price. Some parties say, the lowest price is due to Indian products and not Malaysian or they give the wrong BTU (Eg. 15000BTU as 18000BTU). And there are places in Pettah, who would fix stickers to that effect etc....etc... so the confusion.

Have you considered those solar powered units? Think they will cost more but at least your electricity bill will get reduced. But I have only seen Chinese crap. My office has one. The compressor or the inverter (can’t remember what) failed after using about 3-4 months, and they got it replaced. It’s been working since then, no issues so far. But I really don’t know whether it gives out the rated BTU or not. I think Hitachi/Mitsubishi ones are solid, LG isnt bad either have seen many LG units at offices.

Edited by asrock

I have not seen any solar power units promoted. Yes Hitachi / Mitsubishi/Panasonic/LG under consideration. But do not want to go through agents, it is costing double. Only a small timer, with service facility is the most suitable. If some one can propose, a reasonable place, appreciated.

My experience is with Singer and Panasonic Econavi (Inverter).

I can recommend Panasonic because they take less energy and has many options too. and give fast and better cooling. I think the unit is controlled by a microprocessor or something more electronics. So you need to have extra safety to protect from lightning and voltage changes. (I think almost all new inverter types has this high use of electronics)

I got my units from someone I know and PM me if you need his contact number. (Very reasonable prices and also good after sales service)

Units still function as the first day and never had any problems.

I don't pay double just to cover few years of warranty which mostly we don't claim ( 90% may be) and use that money to set up a solar system with grid tie inverter.

18000BTU and 12000BTU units are for bedrooms and 9000BTU is for my small office room. Heavy use will be only week ends.

Also you may consider buying portable air conditioner (Only one company that sells such items as I know and its http://www.cesolutions.lk/ecofrost.html) for rooms that you don't use much so that you can switch them as and when needed.

Few days back I replaced old LG 12k with a Mitsubishi 13k inverter unit. This is my 1st Mitsubishi and I must say Its far better than LG in many ways and much less noise. I can't compare power consumption as old one was non inverter type. Main reason for me to choose Mitsubishi because of its agent (Abans) and their good after sale service. I have 5 other units (2 x 30 k, 1x 18 k, 2 x 12 k) all LG and never had a problem with service/breakdowns.

Panasonic units also very good and efficient with their ECONAVI technology but I did not want a different agent for that 1 unit only. Also I think most Panasonic units are sold and installed/service by sub contractors which could be a problem after some time. Lot of web marketing companies also sell units very cheap but I have no idea how is their warranty/after sales service. Norm is 5 year warranty for the compressor plus 1 year for rest of the unit including 3 free services. But Ive got 5 +2 as its the promotional season now.

It's better if you can go for inverter type but I suggest inverter type for at least units which expect heavy useage such as master bedroom. Additional advantage of inverter type apart from less power consumption is minimum temperature variation which is more comfy.

1) price difference between 12k inverter - non inverter is about 25 to 30 k. Depending on your usage you have to decide which type is most economical for you. Mind you, spare parts such as PCB for inverter type is few times expensive than normal type.

2) Mitsubishi from Abans. I have a contact too if you are interested. although he can't do anything for the company prices he'll certainly speed up things for you.

This is the best time for you project because almost all dealers are giving discounts. Also very good deals for some credit cards. So good luck and keep us posted.

I recommend LG inverter type AC. also another thing, don't you think to install solar electricity system to get Zero electricity bills with AC. another thing, don't forgot to install automatic Air fresheners with the AC

Edited by Nilantha

don't forgot to install automatic Air fresheners with the AC

You really think an air fresher is needed? I don't think as far as the room is clean and has no bad smell. ( Of course you need to have better ventilation though an AC is fitted)

Also you may consider buying portable air conditioner (Only one company that sells such items as I know and its http://www.cesolutions.lk/ecofrost.html'>http://www.cesolutions.lk/ecofrost.html) for rooms that you don't use much so that you can switch them as and when needed.

I had a bad experience with them.

they are,

- noisy (remember everything is inside the room)

- exhaust pipe is about 6" in diameter and you need to find a way to pass it outside somehow.

- although it'll use some of the waste water to cool the compressor, with our humidity levels you probably need to keep a bucket handy.

Thanks gentlemen.

Nilantha, - Yes I got a quotation for solar power system. Non of them impressed me, everybody boasting with 25 year warranty. My point was there is no point in getting a 25 year warranty, for electronic items, since the field is very innovative and within 6 months, the upgraded version comes out.

Maersk - Thanks for the advices. Yes I am very much on Panasonic and Mitsubishi.

Nishan - Yes Panasonic is one of the best, will sonsider. I have looked into portable ACs too. But with less pulling power, will consider for smaller rooms.

You may consider Net metering solar power system . Ge#so people do some advertising these days.

Then consider a reliable and fast units without thinking about power.

Just seen in FB.

https://scontent-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11133853_1614500775449508_8971167216464585423_n.jpg?oh=acab10a698379c93eeb5e6f8c9e2214d&oe=55B98CBD

Edited by luckey007

Thanks gentlemen.

Nilantha, - Yes I got a quotation for solar power system. Non of them impressed me, everybody boasting with 25 year warranty. My point was there is no point in getting a 25 year warranty, for electronic items, since the field is very innovative and within 6 months, the upgraded version comes out.

Maersk - Thanks for the advices. Yes I am very much on Panasonic and Mitsubishi.

Nishan - Yes Panasonic is one of the best, will sonsider. I have looked into portable ACs too. But with less pulling power, will consider for smaller rooms.

It's not the temperature that makes us uncomfortable. It's the humidity. Colombo we have around 80% while matale is 50-60%. Temperature difference is around 2 degrees.

Dehumidifier can work too but they are more expensive than air conditioners.

Panasonic does control the humidity (though all acs does that) level and it keeps the rate inside the healthy zone which is around 55% if you set the room temperature to 25 or 26 °C.

So it's better than dry cooling. Find out how other brands are. Only way I think is to ask someone who has tested such details.

Thanks Charlie. I think 24000BTU Pansonic econavy model is cheaper than whaty you paid. Was it through agents or some other party. The lowest quote for my project is around 600,000/=. The highest aroun 1.2m. The issue is, not only the price. Some parties say, the lowest price is due to Indian products and not Malaysian or they give the wrong BTU (Eg. 15000BTU as 18000BTU). And there are places in Pettah, who would fix stickers to that effect etc....etc... so the confusion.

Not in Pettah, There are a lot of A/C units imported with renowned brand names like LG, Panasonic..it's a fake badged version from China. As you said BTU is also wrong. One of my friend fixed LG & Panasonic A/C units to his home with a great cheap deal from an individual and having hell of a problems now. better you get them from the agents as you will be free from headaches long run. I have heard even though inverter saves you a considerable electricity bill, when it comes to a maintenance you got to be ready to bear high cost as well...basically it's like a diesel engine..

Sofar no clue as to a reliable party. Could you email me a contact to a party to negotiate. (does not matter, if not known to service / product quality etc) to my email.

(This email is only for the new house related matters. [email protected] )

Does any one know how C***L Lanka (maharagama) and S*Y Electronics (Maharagama) and Y*L* Electronics (Nugegoda) - in the market.

Abeysinghe - Agents charge a very high premium with VAT. VAT componanat is good for business cases, since they can claim from their business VAT dues. For me 11.1% on the bill is a wate.

Luckey 007 - Yes I will look in to net metering depending on my ellecricity bill and the overall cost.

Update: So far no good partner for the project. Most of the small timers want to deal only over the phone. When asked to put down specifications etc... not much interested.

So hopefully will go with the agents, though double the price.

Update: So far no good partner for the project. Most of the small timers want to deal only over the phone. When asked to put down specifications etc... not much interested.

So hopefully will go with the agents, though double the price.

Go with the agents, you'll save a lot more in the long run.

.... I have heard even though inverter saves you a considerable electricity bill, when it comes to a maintenance you got to be ready to bear high cost as well...basically it's like a diesel engine..

Sounds incorrect to me. Inverter A/C units just regulate the current / speed the compressor runs at, using electronics. The additional maintenance is probably minimal. I can't verify this as I don't work in the industry, so could you or would someone else with more knowledge about this clarify if this is correct please?

And as a diesel owner: Diesel's don't have huge maintenance costs. My cost of maintenance is about the same as a similar petrol car plus I save a ton of money on fuel (and brake pads).

Those electronics PCBs are very expensive compared to normal type. As per my experience most of the breakdowns are because of faulty PCBs due to faulty power supply, lightning, rats, squirrels, ants and geckos.

As usual agents are very keen to change the whole PCB even if it's a very much repairable.

I have a very bad experience with Abans. Back in 2005 I purchased two LG (12000 and 18000 btu) units from them. During the first year 18000 unit started giving electronic trouble and it took them a prolong duration (3 weeks) to rectify the issue under warranty. afterwards only using it for 1/1/2 years blower stated to give a thudding sound and finally stopped working. upon investigation it was found out that due to the heat generated by the blower motor the plastic housing has melted and motor has sunk into the housing. Abans admitted that this is caused by a manufacturing defect of the particular model and the entire indoor unit housing and the blower motor has to be relapsed. However they did not agree to replace it free since warranty period is expired and I had to pay 25000 Rs for the repair. Unfortunately this unit again developed the same problem after six months and i replaced it with a Panasonic Inverter unit.

On the other-hand the 12000 unit didn't give any trouble and perfectly functioning to date.

Those electronics PCBs are very expensive compared to normal type. As per my experience most of the breakdowns are because of faulty PCBs due to faulty power supply, lightning, rats, squirrels, ants and geckos.

As usual agents are very keen to change the whole PCB even if it's a very much repairable.

Crappy (Sounds a bit like getting a car serviced at the agents!).

But if all it entails is a PCB swap won`t it be something that a decent technician would be able to do for a relatively modest fee? If so won`t the cost of any PCB`s and the labour associated with the service (swaps etc) be negligible when the cost of electricity savings over a typical unit are factored in?

Edited by Kavvz

All your contributions on the topic are really worthy. Can anyone know the prices of York ACs.

Besides the topic - I think nanoe technology is not suitable for bed rooms. It says that, they remove 99% of bacteria.....?? Will it not affect our immunity system in the long run.

May be more suitable for mass-gathering places, like airports, hospitals - malls -etc... where air purification systems add value. Any idea.....??