• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Home Air Conditioners Help ....

Ginger

Question

Early Wishes for a very happy new year.....

Appreciate if you could share your experience or advise accordingly.

I am planning air conditioning my newly built home in Kotte.

I will need AC units as follow.

18000BTU - 02 units

12000BTU - 03 units

9000BTU - 01 unit

18000BTU and 12000BTU units are for bedrooms and 9000BTU is for my small office room. Heavy use will be only week ends.

I did some price and technology research in the market - it is just like the auto market. The leading companies as agents for leading brands - the prices are very high with VAT etc....

Then moved to some small retail importers, the prices vary very heavily for the same brand with same features with conflicting stories and finally became quite confusing.

Specially for the Panasonic / LG / Misubishi / latest inverter models.

1. Since not a heavy user, is it a good decision to move to Inverter models or use normal ACs ..??

2. Could you propose a good brand and retail importer to partner with for this small project

Planning coming to SL next week to finalize.

Thanks all in advance...

Yes, Humidity is very important for air coolers.

I was in Delhi ,India for 3 years. I always used an air cooler , which is typical to Indians and much cheaper than A/C.

ncdc_cooler.jpg

Delhi was much hot (sometimes 46 Centigrades) in summer and humidity is very low.

So cooler works very fine and much cheaper than A/C. (Mine was Indian Rupees 1500/= in 1998 :P)

Believe me, sometimes I had to add more than 25 litres of water per day to cooler , due to high evaporation rate in the summer.

Technique is very simple. Cooler fix out side of the room and connect to window open of the room. Fill the lower area of the cooler by water. Small electric pump pumps the water to the top and circulate and wet the straw mats on side and rear panels. The electrical fan rotates and suck air through the wet straw mats and blow in to room.

It makes the room cool. (Like Maruti, technique is simple , works fine, but finishing is poor. ;) )

But in Sri Lanka humidity is very high and I don't think this technique works here.

Sampath, Delhi heat is dry heat so as long as you are not exposed to it directly its not too bad.

Growing up my parents didn't have the money to invest on air conditioning. But our house was quite comfortable to live in and sleep in and the fans never ran at more than the first settting at night. Even now when I go home and struggle to adapt as I live most of the year in a colder climate, the nights are very comfortable. The day is sometimes not as much but even that is sorted out by a fan.

I do not know if anybody had noticed but old clay and kabok brick houses with local clay tiles are a lot cooler than the new architect design concrete blocks. This is because concrete is a more effective insulator. Part of the issue is I think that modern architects are schooled in western designs and have sometimes forgotten to adapt it to local problems. For example its cheaper to build with concrete blocks, asbestos sheets etc and they are very effective in colder climates and not as much in more humid warmer climates.

What you need is to engineer air flow throughout the house so warm air rises through the houses and gets expelled through at the top through convection. I think this is necessary even when you have air conditioning.

Intentionally or unintentionally my house has benefited from the following

1. All brick build

2. Clay roof tiles

3. Plenty of vents on windows

4. Plenty of trees in the garden particularly in front of windows providing cover from direct exposure to the sun

5. While there are many internel doors, they are mostly left open so plenty of ways for the air to flow through the house

I think what might have helped further would have been higher ceilings.

I've been thinking about a little place of my own so reading this thread has been very useful :)

Intentionally or unintentionally my house has benefited from the following

1. All brick build

2. Clay roof tiles

3. Plenty of vents on windows

4. Plenty of trees in the garden particularly in front of windows providing cover from direct exposure to the sun

5. While there are many internel doors, they are mostly left open so plenty of ways for the air to flow through the house

I think what might have helped further would have been higher ceilings.

I've been thinking about a little place of my own so reading this thread has been very useful :)

Don, agree with you.

But now a days people mainly face problems with the cost factor and less space factor.

1. All brick build - Those days 9" width solid brick walls ("ingineru gadol"), but now mostly 6" width brick walls ("loku gadol") due to cost factor.

2. Clay roof tiles - Again cost factor , goes for asbestos

3. Plenty of vents on windows - Now Security problems

4. Plenty of trees in the garden particularly in front of windows providing cover from direct exposure to the sun - Now limited land space

I think what might have helped further would have been higher ceilings. - At lease now a days good with open rafter roof method

But I have seen some good architects design modern houses to overcome these problems very successfully.

Below interesting photos I clicked at Richmond Castle, Kalutara ; full of wonderful architectural features including soundproof walls.

This is how they have placed air vents on ground floor (dancing floor) and under ground air channels opens at Kaluganga river and continuous cross ventilation keep the floor and internal environment cool.

Natural cross ventilation plays a big role.

DSCN4475_zpsqxqbkiwd.jpg

DSCN4474_zpsnl82egkr.jpg

(I am sorry if I am taking you out of the topic)

One more point to add here since this thread is related to Air Conditioners.

At our office we use A/C (window type) which is having no water draining outlet. It has a mechanism of evaporating the accumulated water by a small flap on rotating fan blades.

This kind of A/Cs are very rare here and we always get imported from Middle East. (We have used 3 "Sanyo" units and now use a "General" unit.)

Our office is situated in an old shopping complex and due to its internal building location, draining A/C water is a big headache. So we don't consider electricity factor and use this special A/C units over 18 years.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

Below interesting photos I clicked at Richmond Castle, Kalutara ; full of wonderful architectural features including soundproof walls.

This is how they have placed air vents on ground floor (dancing floor) a....

DSCN4475_zpsqxqbkiwd.jpg

Won't women wearing stiletto heels / any kind of narrow high heel step into those holes and trip?

One more point to add here since this thread is related to Air Conditioners.

At our office we use A/C (window type) which is having no water draining outlet. It has a mechanism of evaporating the accumulated water by a small flap on rotating fan blades.

This kind of A/Cs are very rare here and we always get imported from Middle East. (We have used 3 "Sanyo" units and now use a "General" unit.)

Our office is situated in an old shopping complex and due to its internal building location, draining A/C water is a big headache. So we don't consider electricity factor and use this special A/C units over 18 years.

Good point. Not only these ACs do away with drain pipes but they are just a bit more efficient because they use the accumulated water to cool the condenser. Remember for every gram of water evaporated it takes 2,270 joules of heat energy along with it.

Try to buy a unit with R410 gas since it is more efficient compared with R22
R22 is global warming gas + Ozone depleting substance hence currently being phaseout in many developed countries. Not sure about SL but manufacturers are not allowed to use virgin R22 in new pruducts since 2010 as per phaseout schedule.

Mitsubishi is using R410a which is environmentally friendly and efficient but expensive.

So I guess refrigerent type is one less worry to be bothered when someone buying a new unit.

Thanks, I think Panasonic inverter RHK model comes with the new gas, guy just menioned to me - should be R410.

Some of these guys are poor maketers - Yesterday I sent the following points for clarificaions to some reputed company, after getting an initial quote. (not fair to mention the name of the company, since it is always the sales guys who want to dispose whatever left for higher commissions). Below is only part of my email request for clarifications.....

"Please clarify that the mentioned models are all "inverter type". Please indicate Cost of doubt piping per extre meter with VAT + Cost of casing with VAT. Country of manufacture and date of availability of all 6 ACs" -

All ealier emails were answered within few hours....but for these clarifications..... sofar no reply yet... I do not think they will...

Ginger, did you check below web sits for details?

http://www.mysoftlogic.lk/Electronics_Air_Conditioners-3-2-41-41.html

http://www.singersl.com/products/index.asp?PC=air_conditioners

http://www.buyabans.com/index.php/Loader/page/cats/1/23/87/176

http://www.wow.lk/mall/c/air-conditioners/ehaAC/

All the info you are looking for is available including price and cost for extra meter of coper tube. Google for further info for particuler model. Note all prices are including installation up to 5 meters. If you use pvc casings, there is a additional labour charge of about 900 per casing length (10 feet). 2" x 4" casing will cost you 1100. If you ask them to supply casing it'll cost you about 3600 per casing including labour.

All this info I found out from my reaserch I did about 1 month back. Finally I bought a Mitsubishi 13000 btu unit as there are no 12k by Mitsubishi. Price was 135k. Mitsubishi Is about 30% expensive than all other leading brands. My opinion is they are superior in terms of technology, efficiency and durability. Also much quieter than LG.

Also catalogues can be downloaded for each brand and look for late 2013 and 2014 models because that's what still available in SL market.

Doesn't have to be this much painful for you to find a good airconditioner. I wanted only 1 and companies were all over me. May be still your haven't contacted the correct person.

Guys. Sorry to bring up an old thread. Regarding home air conditioners who provids best service? What would be da best brand? What is dual inverter technology? Is it better than inverter air conditioner? Please share ur experience. Thank you.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:59 AM, Prime said:

Guys. Sorry to bring up an old thread. Regarding home air conditioners who provids best service? What would be da best brand? What is dual inverter technology? Is it better than inverter air conditioner? Please share ur experience. Thank you.

From personal experience a few years ago, LG (Abans) and Panasonic (SoftLogic) were the best. Have dealt with both and their after sales service is pretty good. SoftLogic was slightly better than Abans when it comes to carrying out services and maintenance. 

As for brands, there's no best brand per say, I'd recommend LG, Panasonic or Mitsubishi. 

With both above points, it was a few years ago and I'm not sure of the present situation. 

Dual inverter is an LG specific feature at the moment from my understanding and it means that there are two inverters in series instead of one. They're supposed to be more efficient than single inverter ACs. 

On 3/3/2019 at 5:58 AM, Davy said:

From personal experience a few years ago, LG (Abans) and Panasonic (SoftLogic) were the best. Have dealt with both and their after sales service is pretty good. SoftLogic was slightly better than Abans when it comes to carrying out services and maintenance. 

As for brands, there's no best brand per say, I'd recommend LG, Panasonic or Mitsubishi. 

With both above points, it was a few years ago and I'm not sure of the present situation. 

Dual inverter is an LG specific feature at the moment from my understanding and it means that there are two inverters in series instead of one. They're supposed to be more efficient than single inverter ACs. 

Last weekend was at abans to see the dual inverter AC. looks promising. What would be better for after sales and warranty claims?

Abans or softlogic? TIA

6 hours ago, pug306xsi said:

Last weekend was at abans to see the dual inverter AC. looks promising. What would be better for after sales and warranty claims?

Abans or softlogic? TIA

On 3/3/2019 at 5:58 AM, Davy said:

Thank you Davy. There is huge price gap between LG and Panasonic. Mitsubishi is too expensive. What i need is 18000btu one. Abans LG online price is 129000. Another LG one is priced at 154000 which has more features like wifi support 4 way air. Softlogic panasonic price is 199000. All comes with 1yr warranty plus 10 yr for compressor. So planned to go ahead with LG low price one. But that price is only for online purchases where it is bit messy. I called several times to online nuber and finally was able to open a job on saturday for site inspection. Hope techitian will at least come tomorrow. If we order same from close by branch price is 134000. Anyway will update later. Mitsubishi price tag was somewhere close to 220000. 

14 hours ago, Prime said:

Thank you Davy. There is huge price gap between LG and Panasonic. Mitsubishi is too expensive. What i need is 18000btu one. Abans LG online price is 129000. Another LG one is priced at 154000 which has more features like wifi support 4 way air. Softlogic panasonic price is 199000. All comes with 1yr warranty plus 10 yr for compressor. So planned to go ahead with LG low price one. But that price is only for online purchases where it is bit messy. I called several times to online nuber and finally was able to open a job on saturday for site inspection. Hope techitian will at least come tomorrow. If we order same from close by branch price is 134000. Anyway will update later. Mitsubishi price tag was somewhere close to 220000. 

I went ahead and ordered the LG 12000 one from the HO in colpetty. the sales guy told it will be quicker since i will deal with an actual person rather than a hotline. 3600 more than the online price and converted to a 60 month cc plan at 0% interest.

big difference to the panasonic range. and this comes with Dual inverter. will update the experience later on.

Edited by pug306xsi
  • Like 1

Just now, pug306xsi said:

I went ahead and ordered the LG 12000 one from the HO in colpetty. the sales guy told it will be quicker since i will dealing with an actual person rather than a hotline. 3600 more than the online price and converted to a 60 month cc plan at 0% interest.

big difference to the panasonic range. and this comes with Dual inverter. will update the experience later on.

Today one technitian came for inspection. Purchased 18000btu/hr one online today. Difference was 10000rs. Will see what happens. How fast they r.

• Like 1

This LG air conditioner used for nearly 3 months now and last electricity bill unit number was 395kW. There was an increment of nearly 200 units from usual bill. Air conditioner is switched on more than 20 hrs per day. There were no power cuts during last billing cycle. Total bill was close to Rs 12000. I guess with daily use of more than 20 hrs this is pretty good. How is your experience guys? I do clean indoor unit air filter once in 2 weeks.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:34 AM, Prime said:

This LG air conditioner used for nearly 3 months now and last electricity bill unit number was 395kW. There was an increment of nearly 200 units from usual bill. Air conditioner is switched on more than 20 hrs per day. There were no power cuts during last billing cycle. Total bill was close to Rs 12000. I guess with daily use of more than 20 hrs this is pretty good. How is your experience guys? I do clean indoor unit air filter once in 2 weeks.

I’ve replaced 2 old LG 12k units with latest model LGs last month. New units are made/assemble in India and due to some bilateral agreement with 2 countries Indian units are much cheaper they told me. Anyhow build quality is very good and I’m pleased with the performance. Outdoor units are very quite and without any vibration. They are with new R32 gas and I find them very economical, almost half the consumption compared to old units which were about 12 years old and with R22 gas.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 9:34 AM, Prime said:

Mine Runs 10 hours a day and the bill was up by 3000 only. pretty decent.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2015 at 5:03 PM, Ginger said:

Early Wishes for a very happy new year.....

Appreciate if you could share your experience or advise accordingly.

I am planning air conditioning my newly built home in Kotte.

I will need AC units as follow.

18000BTU - 02 units

12000BTU - 03 units

9000BTU - 01 unit

18000BTU and 12000BTU units are for bedrooms and 9000BTU is for my small office room. Heavy use will be only week ends.

I did some price and technology research in the market - it is just like the auto market. The leading companies as agents for leading brands - the prices are very high with VAT etc....

Then moved to some small retail importers, the prices vary very heavily for the same brand with same features with conflicting stories and finally became quite confusing.

Specially for the Panasonic / LG / Misubishi / latest inverter models.

1. Since not a heavy user, is it a good decision to move to Inverter models or use normal ACs ..??

2. Could you propose a good brand and retail importer to partner with for this small project

Planning coming to SL next week to finalize.

Thanks all in advance...

Hey to anyone, I had a similar problem with AC, when my AC started to give 40 degrees (Celsius) sometimes he doesn’t stop and it keeps hot my apartment as Hell , so I’ve bought another one (I was hoping that this will not damage my pocket) and after 1 year that story started to continue. I’ve ordered a service (https://www.socool.sg/) and it thanks for that it was not expensive for me, and it still keeps going. I wonder if our AC’s is specially brokes after some time (like manufacturer doing it with special purpose. How are you thinking about it?

Edited by TacticalKarma
A few words add

If you have a modest budget, then ignore brands. You can buy a good air conditioner even if the manufacturer's company is unknown to you. Try to read reviews about the air conditioner that you plan to buy. I did this. And you will buy a high-quality and good air conditioner for a modest price, which will serve you for a long time. Remember that you need regular cleaning; otherwise, the radiator will become clogged and have to make repairs. By the way, recently I had a problem with the aircon leaking water, and as it turned out, the whole situation was that the radiator was clogged and I had to change it.

Edited by joannsabki