• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Please Help-Gps Navigation

But Peri the problem is further compunded by the fact most phones now use network information to triangulate on a location. So even with the maps downloaded it can lose its bearings.

This actually happened to me once. On a trip back from Cornwall in bad weather, my cars sat nav failed. A friend offered to use his phone to guide me off the motorway due to heavy traffic but twice I missed my exit, because due to bad weather the phone was struggling to get signal. I was so frustrated, I stopped the car, got out in the rain, got my ancient sat nav from the boot (from the days my cars didn't have an inbuilt satnav), and it guided me home.

You have really hit the perfect storm scenario. No mobile AND weather blocking the Sat. I don't agree with the statement that phones use network info to triangulate, they use network info to augment triangulation, along with the GPS signals. Some even use the Russian sat system as well as the American GPS to triangulate.

If you cache the map you don't need to be online to calculate directions, but most phones will need to be connected to a mobile signal, else GPS location takes ages.

True, initial lock will take significantly longer, but once locked on, specially if you can lock on to multiple satellites, updating location isn't an issue.

You have really hit the perfect storm scenario. No mobile AND weather blocking the Sat. I don't agree with the statement that phones use network info to triangulate, they use network info to augment triangulation, along with the GPS signals. Some even use the Russian sat system as well as the American GPS to triangulate.

True, initial lock will take significantly longer, but once locked on, specially if you can lock on to multiple satellites, updating location isn't an issue.

Well the usual SatNav worked fine. Of course the receiver on those is slightly bigger compared to the phone.

This might be phone specific but GPS has never really worked for me properly without being connected to the phone network. It didn't even need data, just needed to be connected. My phone is a Nexus 4 and it really affected me while in New Delhi because I had archived Google map data for the area on offline, but the phone did not always connect to a network (being an international phone I guess), so until it was connected the GPS didn't work well, actually in my case not at all. It could be because the settings tell it to use A-GPS which is faster rather than relying solely on the GPS chip (which from even the old Nokia days used A-GPS so not sure how valid that argument is).

So as a result I don't use phone sat navs for driving in built up areas.

A-GPS has two modes of operation. In MSA mode A-GPS operation, the A-GPS capable device receives acquisition assistance, reference time and other optional assistance data from a mobile service provider. In MSB mode A-GPS operation, the A-GPS device receives ephemeris, reference location, reference time and other optional assistance data from the A-GPS server.

AFAIK, Tom tom units doesn't work here, you could use Garmin units with OSM Maps, i'm using my Garmin NUVI unit (Which I've used back in US) with OSM Map. it works wonderfuly and it includes custom POIs.

Full model number please?

Edited by Magnum

Well the usual SatNav worked fine. Of course the receiver on those is slightly bigger compared to the phone.

This might be phone specific but GPS has never really worked for me properly without being connected to the phone network. It didn't even need data, just needed to be connected. My phone is a Nexus 4 and it really affected me while in New Delhi because I had archived Google map data for the area on offline, but the phone did not always connect to a network (being an international phone I guess), so until it was connected the GPS didn't work well, actually in my case not at all. It could be because the settings tell it to use A-GPS which is faster rather than relying solely on the GPS chip (which from even the old Nokia days used A-GPS so not sure how valid that argument is).

So as a result I don't use phone sat navs for driving in built up areas.

I use a Nexus 4 too :D And after almost 2 years of constant ingress, I can tell you, GPS worries here in SL are not a problem I've had. Only times I've had issues was when I forgot to turn GPS on and it was trying to triangulate purely on mobile info. Now regularly cursing the service provider, thats pretty much a daily occurrence. :D

I've used maps on my wifi only Nexus 7 too, using a hotspot to get the data. I don't know if it gets location data too, but its not bad. Not as smooth a lock as the phone with data tho, so probably the same issue you mention, even tho I suppose the tab can support a more powerful unit.

I'd turn off data and experiment to give you a better answer, but that would mean ingress wouldn't work, so .... no :P

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Pericles" data-cid="274865" data-time="1426927824"><p>

<br />

I use a Nexus 4 too :D And after almost 2 years of constant ingress...

I'd turn off data and experiment to give you a better answer, but that would mean ingress wouldn't work, so .... no :P </p></blockquote>

Enlightened or Resistance?

Anyone tried Nokia HERE maps?

Recently out for Android and iOS .

https://www.here.com

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id955837609

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps

You can download the entire map for the country and use it offline. Haven't used it a lot for navigation so not sure how it fares against Google Maps. But looked promising from what i Saw.

Anyone tried Nokia HERE maps?

Recently out for Android and iOS .

https://www.here.com

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id955837609

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps

You can download the entire map for the country and use it offline. Haven't used it a lot for navigation so not sure how it fares against Google Maps. But looked promising from what i Saw.

The old Nokia maps was very good. I used to frequently use it to get around when data was quite expensive on my old N95. I had whole of Western Europe archived on my SD card.

• 3 years later...