• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Please Help-Gps Navigation

My car has a media player which consist TV/DVD/Navigation. Its a Chinese media unit.Manufacture is Shenzhen ZD Technology.

Player does not have any maps.Anyone know how to install maps on that player?

I'm not sure what is the Operating system comes with player.Sometimes is may be windows CE or custom made OS.I put a photo of the display here.

http://i60.tinypic.com/24lsrpk.jpg

Are there any free maps which i can use with that player?

Edited by lahiru_carlover

Seriously dude that's the worst image i saw anyone upload... i cant even guess what the player is with a half shot of an image. what is the name or model of the player??

i think some models this can be done but chances are slim

Even with full image you can't identity the model.I just want to show you the screen layout.I'm sure this is not android.

Anyone know how to identify the OS? I sent a email to the manufacture,but they didn't reply. cheap Chinese manufactures does not provide customer service. :(

Ahh then apologies.... but usually they do have some sort of model number that can be of use. IF the menu is in another language like Japanese which i have.... Google translator app helped me to know head or tail about how to operate it. IF not on the head unit should be on top of the unit that will require u to remove the unit altogether and find out

Many Chinese setups support the S@L@ maps. You can buy the SD card, insert and simple configuration to browse the path to the file location. Best thing to do is to visit a S@L@ dealer and test it before you buy the SD card. it costs some where around 11,000.

S@l@ Prosat takes time to load, and works poorly in cloudy days. Useless to spend 11,000. Best thin is using Android phone with Google Navigation.

Agree with this. If you have a tab with google maps you can fix a tab holder on your dashboard and swtich on the voice guided navigation on google maps. This way is cheap and fun. I use this. Only data charges

Agree with this. If you have a tab with google maps you can fix a tab holder on your dashboard and swtich on the voice guided navigation on google maps. This way is cheap and fun. I use this. Only data charges

Network base GPS systems have an issue, where its dependent on speed of the network and network availability. So it could lose signal and lose its way just as you are about to make an important turn...........

Network base GPS systems have an issue, where its dependent on speed of the network and network availability. So it could lose signal and lose its way just as you are about to make an important turn...........

Google Maps has an offline maps feature where you can keep certain grid areas pre-loaded. Tho I suspect that is more to reduce data charges by downloading the same map over and over, to know the dead coverage spots needs some foreknowledge.

Here are five new features Google added to Google Maps in these latest updates that users should definitely check out:

1. Filter searches for restaurants by cuisine type — Google Maps users can finally drill down restaurant searches by cuisine, meaning we’re all now one step closer to being able to uninstall Yelp.
  2. See current weather information for cities around the world — a nice new feature for users who are performing searches while getting ready to travel.
  3. Drop a pin for your starting and destination points in directions and navigation — this new feature makes fine-tuning your path while navigating much easier.
  4. Add transit directions to your calendar — now when you add a work meeting or any other event to your schedule, you’ll easily be able to include transit directions right in the calendar entry!
  5. Sharable directions — this is an undocumented change in the Android version of Google Maps, and it lets users quickly and easily share directions with any contact.

I have cityguide GPS program installed on my iPhone- so far works perfectly. Best thing is it's not network dependent even in iPhone. Plus, there are many POI s (restaurants, hotels, even small communication centers) that not listed on google.

Dunno it's performance on windows CE systems but here on iPhone it's pretty fast.

Google Maps has an offline maps feature where you can keep certain grid areas pre-loaded. Tho I suspect that is more to reduce data charges by downloading the same map over and over, to know the dead coverage spots needs some foreknowledge.

But Peri the problem is further compunded by the fact most phones now use network information to triangulate on a location. So even with the maps downloaded it can lose its bearings.

This actually happened to me once. On a trip back from Cornwall in bad weather, my cars sat nav failed. A friend offered to use his phone to guide me off the motorway due to heavy traffic but twice I missed my exit, because due to bad weather the phone was struggling to get signal. I was so frustrated, I stopped the car, got out in the rain, got my ancient sat nav from the boot (from the days my cars didn't have an inbuilt satnav), and it guided me home.

What about Dialog SATNAV? I cant find any detailed information on that in their website, all links are dead.

Why would you pay for a service that uses the network for navigation? Google maps is superior to any service any network can provide.

Why would you pay for a service that uses the network for navigation? Google maps is superior to any service any network can provide.

I believe Dialog satnav is just City Guide rebranded by dialog. See:http://www.dialogsatnav.com/

City Guide is good, but their license is tied to the phone imei, so you have to buy it again if you switch devices.

Nokia recently released Here Maps for android for free. You can download the full map and use it offline. Even directions are calculated offline. I think google maps still needs to be online when calculating directions.

I believe Dialog satnav is just City Guide rebranded by dialog. See:http://www.dialogsatnav.com/ City Guide is good, but their license is tied to the phone imei, so you have to buy it again if you switch devices. Nokia recently released Here Maps for android for free. You can download the full map and use it offline. Even directions are calculated offline. I think google maps still needs to be online when calculating directions.

If you cache the map you don't need to be online to calculate directions, but most phones will need to be connected to a mobile signal, else GPS location takes ages.

I thought it uses GPS with out a mobile network?

The issue is the mobile. If its installed in a mobile it will usually used A-GPS, which requires you to be connected to a network, for it to triangulate and figure out exactly where you are.

The issue is the mobile. If its installed in a mobile it will usually used A-GPS, which requires you to be connected to a network, for it to triangulate and figure out exactly where you are.

But I thought dialog had their own display units just like sala.

It says Windows CE 6.x

Im in need of an in-dash Navigation system, one that does not depend on a network. Im thinking of trading my original jap setup (which doesnot have TV or navigation, only radio, cd and reverse cam) for a setup with navigation and TV/DVD.

AFAIK, Tom tom units doesn't work here, you could use Garmin units with OSM Maps, i'm using my Garmin NUVI unit (Which I've used back in US) with OSM Map. it works wonderfuly and it includes custom POIs.