• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Civic Eg8-Vtec Bogging Mifiring On Low Rpm

mkindika

My car is EG8 Vtec one. The problem i'm having is, as soon as I hit the gas padel, it kinda boggs until it hits 2500 rpm's (+/- a couple hundred) then it picks up and runs strong. I cannot drive in traffic when the problem exists. Not all the time I see this problem and engine's heat or cold makes no difference. No misfire when I run on highway or accelating and stopped(In neutral) the car. No check engine light and no CEL error codes.

I have changed the Dizzy and spark plugs,ECU, fuel filter and checked the timing. Finally swap the engine too with new reconditioned one. But I still have the problem. I have spent more than 2lakh by now. I am going to check injectos bocz I used 2 from old engine, fuel pump again. Your help is highly appreciate.

Edited by mkindika

Most probably the fuel pump is to blame.The pumps that were exposed to the bad petrol few years ago was never the same again.I had to change mine on the CRX cos it had similar simptoms to yours.Check the the tank and fuel lines for while you're at it...

Most probably the fuel pump is to blame.The pumps that were exposed to the bad petrol few years ago was never the same again.I had to change mine on the CRX cos it had similar simptoms to yours.Check the the tank and fuel lines for while you're at it...

Thanks for your input. I aslo feel like same as you. I will get check the fuel tank and pump.

The lack of power within a specific range in the RPM can be due to a clogged catalytic converter as well. A misfiring engine can clog the catalytic converter and cause significant back pressure at certain RPM levels which results in the engine bogging down. The behaviour is very similar to what happens when the fuel pump is faulty.

I believe you can check the operation of the cat through a diagnostic scan and reading the inputs from the Oxygen sensor while revving the engine. You can also take the catalytic converter off the car and visually inspect whether it is blocked.

The lack of power within a specific range in the RPM can be due to a clogged catalytic converter as well. A misfiring engine can clog the catalytic converter and cause significant back pressure at certain RPM levels which results in the engine bogging down. The behaviour is very similar to what happens when the fuel pump is faulty.

I believe you can check the operation of the cat through a diagnostic scan and reading the inputs from the Oxygen sensor while revving the engine. You can also take the catalytic converter off the car and visually inspect whether it is blocked.

Hi Davy, I swapped the engine. Why still I get this issue in new engine also?

Hi Davy, I swapped the engine. Why still I get this issue in new engine also?

It's possible that the issue is actually not with the engine. The catalytic converter is part of your exhaust, and if it's clogged, even a brand new engine will not work as intended. Did you swap the engine only because of this issue? If so, it looks to me like your mechanic has taken you for a very expensive ride.

If possible, take the car to a good workshop and get a diagnostic scan done. Explain your situation and ask them to test the fuel pressure (to rule out a failing fuel pump as MasterDon has suggested) and the Oxygen sensor values. If all is good, then you can try temporarily starting the car up while the catalytic converter is removed (not sure how feasible this is - all depends on how this model has the cat mounted to the exhaust pipe).

It's possible that the issue is actually not with the engine. The catalytic converter is part of your exhaust, and if it's clogged, even a brand new engine will not work as intended. Did you swap the engine only because of this issue? If so, it looks to me like your mechanic has taken you for a very expensive ride.

If possible, take the car to a good workshop and get a diagnostic scan done. Explain your situation and ask them to test the fuel pressure (to rule out a failing fuel pump as MasterDon has suggested) and the Oxygen sensor values. If all is good, then you can try temporarily starting the car up while the catalytic converter is removed (not sure how feasible this is - all depends on how this model has the cat mounted to the exhaust pipe).

I had another issues too and I got new engine for a reasonable price. I will check these things with mechanic and let you know. Thanks for help.

Did you say you have replaced ECU too?

Is the car recording any error codes in the ECU? Whats the status of the air flow sensor and throttle body (was this replaced with the new engine)?

Like MD said check the fuel pump and like Davy said a blocked exhaust (the catalytic converter all the way to the back box).

Did you say you have replaced ECU too?

Is the car recording any error codes in the ECU? Whats the status of the air flow sensor and throttle body (was this replaced with the new engine)?

Like MD said check the fuel pump and like Davy said a blocked exhaust (the catalytic converter all the way to the back box).

I have replaced ECU. No CEL error codes and air flow sensor and throttle body are new ones. But I used old 2 injectors because new ones were broken. Thanks for help.