• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A 2007 Vw Passat

Yohanl

Question

17 answers to this question

Hello Yohanl,

Not sure about the particular year model but I think Passat is great .I have owned a few Audis and they are great cars and you can find spares without much difficulty.There are a few independent mechanics too.

Love the interior in the 2007 model and really worth it at the current market price.

I dont think the repair cost is TOO much when repaired at the Agents, coz even for a Japanese car,if you get things done at the Agents ,it will be definitely expensive.

I suggest you go for it and enjoy the ride.

Good luck.

Edited by zaradiyel

even for a Japanese car,if you get things done at the Agents ,it will be definitely expensive.

That would vary grately depending on the agent

That Passat is possibly good value to buy, but will it be viable to run is the more pertinent question

It's a lot of car for that money,

but consider the total cost of ownership,

If you can treat the car properly, maintain it properly without cutting corners, can do with the slightly low fuel economy and pump super petrol without being pound foolish.

In the end of the day even tough it comes at below Axio money it can't be treated like an Ashok Leyland,

Most of the good cars get ruined because the second owners buy them as they are cheap to buy,

If you want a nice car and can spare the time and money to maintain it properly go ahead,

If you are planning to buy one just because it's cheap forget about it and buy a 141

Edited by Clark's son

spares are freely available and much cheaper than Japanese originals.there are independent persons who are carrying out maintenance with original diagnostic equipment with direct access to Germany.However the problem is Body parts since this is a new model most of the body parts are not available in the local market and you have to sought them from the agent else you have to wait for around two weeks to get them down from Singapore.Finally it is a fairly good car which you can use as a daily runner and expect some minor electronic issues which can be rectified quite easily.

• Like 2

spares are freely available and much cheaper than Japanese originals.there are independent persons who are carrying out maintenance with original diagnostic equipment with direct access to Germany.However the problem is Body parts since this is a new model most of the body parts are not available in the local market and you have to sought them from the agent else you have to wait for around two weeks to get them down from Singapore.Finally it is a fairly good car which you can use as a daily runner and expect some minor electronic issues which can be rectified quite easily.

Could somebody tell me the contact details of a good independent mechanic for Volkswagen ?

What are the places to buy genuine VW parts?

I have bought a 2008 VW transporter cab.

Thanks in advance.

Could somebody tell me the contact details of a good independent mechanic for Volkswagen ? What are the places to buy genuine VW parts? I have bought a 2008 VW transporter cab. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Contact Ruwan 0772531949/0773099281

Workshop at Boralasgamuwa.

• Like 1

That would vary grately depending on the agent

That Passat is possibly good value to buy, but will it be viable to run is the more pertinent question

Hi Devinda,

Yeah sure why not,as others mentioned you should be prepared to spend some when a breakdown happens, it will be more expensive than a Japanese obviously but for the better ride you get and the European status it comes with ,it would worth it.

It may depreciate faster than Japanese but Im sure you are willing to take that risk.

It is German so it will put up nice as long as you treat it same which wont be an issue given the availability of spares and mechanics.

If this your first European car ,it will be a whole new experience for you and you will love it.

Cheers

Edited by zaradiyel

Hi Devinda,

Yeah sure why not,as others mentioned you should be prepared to spend some when a breakdown happens, it will be more expensive than a Japanese obviously but for the better ride you get and the European status it comes with ,it would worth it.

It may depreciate faster than Japanese but Im sure you are willing to take that risk.

It is German so it will put up nice as long as you treat it same which wont be an issue given the availability of spares and mechanics.

If this your first European car ,it will be a whole new experience for you and you will love it.

Cheers

Not my first rodeo newbie

However I see your long list of Audi's and i'm sure you're far better versed on this subject than us mere mortals, who you are so quick to assume haven't enjoyed the joys of euro car ownership

The virtues of euro cars shouldn't be discounted however the frequency of repairs required i still find a concern.

On the subject of parts, you mentioned that suppliers were plentiful - i think it would be helpful to all if you could share the contacts of those dealing in genuine or OEM components and the average prices one should expected to pay for common replacement parts...

Just to educate us masses

Edited by Devinda_Z
  • Like 3

However I see your long list of Audi's and i'm sure you're far better versed on this subject than us mere mortals, who you are so quick to assume haven't enjoyed the joys of euro car ownership

The virtues of euro cars shouldn't be discounted however the frequency of repairs required i still find a concern.

On the subject of parts, you mentioned that suppliers were plentiful - i think it would be helpful to all if you could share the contacts of those dealing in genuine or OEM components and the average prices one should expected to pay for common replacement parts...

So far I have gone to Senok ,Vishwa Motors at Boralasgamuwa a cpl of places at panchikawatta[ I think it was Niroshan Motors].

Vishwa Motors-077309981

Dinesh- 077156674

There was another good mechanic named Dinesh,he used work as a technician at Laughs Dematagoda,heard he has left though.

It was once only I had to wait a few weeks until a rack-end was brought down by Senok.

Lately I have seen a few adverts on Hitad and on **man.lk who bring down German parts.

I cant tell you of the prices outside agent as mostly I got things done at Senok and brought some stuff from Dubai.Lateley I found out I could get stuff from sources other than the agent too,but obviously it was too late,coz I had already sold the cars.

Next time I'm owning one Id dfntly check those places out too coz they are dfntly cheaper than at the agent's.

Probably your experince is vast on the Euros mere suggesting the Passat out of my enthusiasm towards German cars. :music-smiley-009:

Whenever someone asks my opinion for a VW/Audi I tell them pros/cons as per my experiences and encourage them to own one as them cars give a fantastic ride and experience.

I'd really want to buy another Euro when my pocket becomes deeper :smilie_liebe9: .

Cheers.

Edited by zaradiyel

This happens when you don't list your real or imaginary rides in your Signature machang... :)

Hi Devinda,

Cheers

you won't say this if you have read past posts made by Devinda_Z :D

• Like 1

You know, I think he may have been talking to the OP in the "if this is your first Euro car" part of his post.... Ahaka yana Thoppi etc :P

Thank you very much for your valuable information. it would help me a lot to make a decision

There's some lovely advice on here from Zaradiyel but you might want to note something he says in a post above - the fact that he doesn't actually have an Audi anymore (drives a Honda in fact according to his signature) because his pockets aren't deep enough to run one at the moment. That should tell you what you need to know about the costs of running one. They ain't low.

Also, in case you want to know about my experience with VW group products, just ask Ruwan about the repair history of a 2002 Passat with the registration GQ2727.... They have something like 24 Job Cards over a 2 year period, a record that still stands to this day!

Also, in case you want to know about my experience with VW group products, just ask Ruwan about the repair history of a 2002 Passat with the registration GQ2727.... They have something like 24 Job Cards over a 2 year period, a record that still stands to this day!

Sp pretty much once a month? :P

Did you go there every month with your paycheck to treat the boys at the workshop? :D

Strange things happen to cars in Sri Lanka.

To be honest Audis and I guess VWs probably age the worst in terms of engine and transmission for cars earlier last decade. Plastic pipes, connections etc corrode break and start leaking coolant, plenty of oil leaks etc etc. Compared to that BMWs fare better and Mercedes fare the best in the UK. This is based on actual experience.

But what happened to Supras car is unpredecented evey by Sri Lankan standards, particularly as it was a brand new imported low mileage car.