• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Axio Hybrid Fuel Meter

mdinuth

Question

Hi,

I owns an Axio Hybrid.

In the display it show the distance that can go with the remaining amount of fuel.

Is it accurate? When it becomes 0 km will the vehicle stop? or switch to the fuel reserve? How many litres of petrol in fuel reserve?

Thanking you for your kind answers.

19 answers to this question

Hello mdinuth,

I guess it calculates as an average according to your throttling pattern in a specific time.

It's approximate coz in some Audis ,they drop in 5 kms but in the CRV the mileage drops in singular kms as the fuel is burnt.

Best is to keep it as an approximate reference and an assistance for adjusting your driving pattern.

I hope experts in the forum will shed more accurate light on your query.

All the best.

Edited by zaradiyel

Hi,

I owns an Axio Hybrid.

In the display it show the distance that can go with the remaining amount of fuel.

Is it accurate? When it becomes 0 km will the vehicle stop? or switch to the fuel reserve? How many litres of petrol in fuel reserve?

I dont own an Axio hybrid but from what I know of these meters, they are all approximations - you should not rely on them to make critical decisions such as when to re-fuel. White it shows the amount of km you can run with current fuel reserve, the car does not (and can't) take into account various traffic conditions, road conditions and other factors that affect fuel efficiency. So by common sense you would understand it's just an estimated figure that may or may not be correct.

I would suggest you look at the fuel guage and refuel as needed well in advance. From my knowledge the Axio hybrid has a 36L fuel tank and it does not have a reserve. If the car runs out of fuel it may either run about 1-2km on hybrid battery or simply stop. I'd strongly suggest you not test this out in reality - refuel in advance as you do with any other car.

Edited by ramishkad
  • Like 1

Previously , this type bunch of idiots put the kms they went in blinking the perodua viva low fuel indicator. Now axio hybrid owners. I have never driven or seen a car with reserve tank and when it is clearly indicate this much of kms you can go without refueling, why bother about reserve tank? Head is there not only for cosmetic reasons,so use it .

Previously , this type bunch of idiots put the kms they went in blinking the perodua viva low fuel indicator. Now axio hybrid owners. I have never driven or seen a car with reserve tank and when it is clearly indicate this much of kms you can go without refueling, why bother about reserve tank? Head is there not only for cosmetic reasons,so use it .

As far as i remember there was a warning in Perodua Viva manual saying that you could damage your catalytic converter if you run on low fuel. Not sure it is same for Axio as well (If catalytic converter is inside fuel tank). Not a mechanic so I don't have much idea on this but wouldn't it be safer not to run on low fuel.

Not sure about cars but I only remember bikes have a reserve feature where you can turn to reserve if you are on low fuel.. :speechless-smiley-004:

Not sure about cars but I only remember bikes have a reserve feature where you can turn to reserve if you are on low fuel.. :speechless-smiley-004:

I was wondering if there's actually any car with reserve? I knew only 3wheelers (as they did not have a fuel gauge), whose drivers always try to run the maximum from the reserve as well before refuelling.

Edited by NPP

ohh geez not these people again..

Refueling early doesn't cost you more money!! In addition to the obvious risk of stalling somewhere you should also realize the fuel in SL isn't clean. There'll be all sorts of dirt, rust and other solid debris collected in your petrol tank, and when you've only got a few liters of petrol in there, all this dirt gets stirred up and pulled into your petrol pump -> petrol lines -> injectors. All of which could be a bigger mess to clean up.

So on a general rule of thumb is to top up at around 1/4 tank.

• Like 4

Hi,

I owns an Axio Hybrid.

Fuel reserve in an Axio? :speechless-smiley-004:

AFIK fuel reserves are in motor bikes and tuk-tuks.

Refueling early doesn't cost you more money!! In addition to the obvious risk of stalling somewhere you should also realize the fuel in SL isn't clean. There'll be all sorts of dirt, rust and other solid debris collected in your petrol tank, and when you've only got a few liters of petrol in there, all this dirt gets stirred up and pulled into your petrol pump -> petrol lines -> injectors. All of which could be a bigger mess to clean up.

I hate agreeing with Watchman on principle, but the dude is right.

In addition to what he has mentioned with regards to dirty fuel, as mentioned in the hoda vesi honda vezel thread by some gifted individual (*yours truly*): "Even with a hoda vesi honda vezel one should never bone drive till dry, one should always have a least 25% left in the tank."

This statement although being open to interpretation, primarily suggests that one refill at 1/4 of a tank as suggested by 'Watchman' because the modern wife / girlfriend fuel pump is kept happy located inside the fuel tank and by nature of its their design are lubricated and cooled by the left over in the tank by the surrounding fuel.

If one runs out of fuel this could result in the wife / girlfriend fuel pump, as mentioned by VVTi, gets pissed off overheating and failing or components of the engine failing due to the contaminants that get drawn up. As getting a divorce / breaking up repairing the fuel pump or the engine is a costly affair I suggest you follow watchman's direction and refuel early at the 1/4 mark or above.

• Like 1

Hi,

I owns an Axio Hybrid.

Yes, it gives you a rough idea depending on driving condition, throttle position, gear position, speed, etc etc. It's is not an accurate figure but a guide only. You can run till 0 kms, of course. But then you will probably burn the pump off (modern immersion fuel pumps depend on the fuel in the tank to keep cool) , suck debris from the bottom in to the engine, clog your injectors, fuel lines, get stranded on the side of the road with no fuel station near by, or worse, in the night in some dark, bad area where the locals will come offer to help and in return rape your wife, daughter, sister, mother or whoever is in the car, etc or even you, if you are attractive or they are desperate enough or both. Or do much worse.

I am wondering, you spend in excess of LKR4,000,000 to buy a great car. Don't be a retard, Keep your tank full or at least 1/2 full at any given time.

I suggest that you go back to what you were driving before the heady days of Hybrids, either a tuktuk or a bicycle. Clearly a modern technologically superior vehicle is not for you.

Edited by VVTi

It is only an approximation. A friend of mine forgot to rufuel on a trip we were on and had to drive on fumes until the next station. The range dropped down to zero but the vehicle kept going and we managed to reach the petrol station which was about 3Km away. So this is not accurate to last Kilimeter if that's what you're expecting of it.

And the merits of watching the fuel gauge flatten out have been colourfully put in the above posts :)

I have no idea about petrol tanks, but isn't those designed to get fuel from the lowest point of the tank. To get maximum amount of petrol from the tank? If it's the case then even we have a full tank, the pump gets fuel from the bottom of the tank ?? And dirt will be sucked in anyway???

I have no idea about petrol tanks, but isn't those designed to get fuel from the lowest point of the tank. To get maximum amount of petrol from the tank? If it's the case then even we have a full tank, the pump gets fuel from the bottom of the tank ?? And dirt will be sucked in anyway???

Do you have a water tank at home that sucks from a sump? Have you ever faced a situ where the last bit of water that comes from the pump if someone forgets to fill the tank is all muddy or dirty?

The lower the fluid level, the more chances of it getting agitated even with the slightest movement.

Same principle.

Do you have a water tank at home that sucks from a sump? Have you ever faced a situ where the last bit of water that comes from the pump if someone forgets to fill the tank is all muddy or dirty?

The lower the fluid level, the more chances of it getting agitated even with the slightest movement.

Same principle.

Aha.. That explains.. Thanks :)

I think its better to keep it full tank ,use the fuel till half remains in the tank then fill the empty half again. This way you can protect the filter as well. I follow this way. No extra cost other than the first time you pump full tank. After that it is basically the same cost as to fill it from dried up to half a tank.

I think its better to keep it full tank ,use the fuel till half remains in the tank then fill the empty half again. This way you can protect the filter as well. I follow this way. No extra cost other than the first time you pump full tank. After that it is basically the same cost as to fill it from dried up to half a tank.

Well there is a slight extra cost when doing it that way due to the extra weight of the fuel that one is carrying around. However, I agree with you that its the better way to do it.

(The benefits greatly out weigh the marginal extra cost associated with the extra weight of the fuel. Its certainly better to fill from 1/2 to full habitually, than to go from empty to 1/2 full due to the reasons explained by the various members above...)

Edited by Kavvz

I have experience this on last week,

when your fuel level indicator reach to the last slot. This distance indicator getting changed to 0.

It doesn't mean tank is empty. But in critical level.

therefore System on the fuel low indicator also in the dashboard.

The remaining distance display in mine just went blank, all the bars from the fuel gauge dropped and the low fuel light came on. I filled up 32 litres, which means theres approximately 4 litres left when the low fuel indicator comes on. Also the remaining distance indicator is far from accurate.

Hi,

I owns an Axio Hybrid.

Observed that no one properly answered to your query. Let me clarify the matter. Note: The distance can be traveled is shown in Aqua as "Range".

I owned a brand new Aqua (almost same with Axio hybrid by technically) with up to date fuel records. I always full tank my car and record lots of details including range (before full tank and and after full tank) to check the behavior of metering system of the car (as a hobby).

When I took the car from Hambanthota port millage was 18km. When I full tank it first time at the millage 456 km at Colombo, the range showed as 780 km. The next time it drops up to 750. Then further drops 720, 672, 670, 650. It drops to 630 at the millage of 3887 km. After that, observed some stability. Now its in the range of 626 and 642 (the values are 626, 638, 639, 629, 642, 626, 626, 631 consecutively). This behavior is very well matching with the average fuel consumption (from 0 km ODO) pattern of the vehicle. Therefore, my conclusion is the range given is calculated by considering two factors.

1. The amount of fuel in the tank

2. The average fuel consumption of the vehicle up to date.

Therefor, the range value given is a very good and accurate prediction.

But lower the amount of the fuel in the tank, lesser the accuracy due to difficulty of measuring the remained amount of fuel. Therefore, should not wait until it becomes 0.

One more thing - When you are going down hill with very less amount of fuel, there will be more chance to suck the air due to accumulation of fuel to forward end (my friend had experienced same. when Aqua stops due to empty fuel, you have to fill more than 15 ltrs to start the car. Hope its same for Axio Hybrid)