• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda City(Gd8) 2004 Cvt Gear Box Issue

PerfMad

Hi All,

First of all I must say this is my very first thread on AL. And I did few search on AL and by google, couldn't find a proper solution, therefore thought of opening a separate thread. Sorry if this is a re-post.

The story begins like this,

I bought a 2004 Honda City with 7 speed cvt gear box 2.5 years ago.. Car is really good in fuel consumption (does around 11-13 within city limits & 18-20 in outstation-highway mostly) bcz i try to keep the REV within 1500-2000 most of the time, therefore I have no intention of selling this car in near future.

Car was clocked at 93000Km when I bought it and now its close to 119000KM.. Previous owner and myself both went to St@fford motors to change the cvt oil and its been changed within every 15000-18000 KM...

Issue is ,recently I've noticed that my car sometimes disengage gear when i put to REVERSE gear.. and this rarely happens when I put it to "D" as well.. And also have noticed that pulling power(mainly initial pulling power) in Reverse gear and D has been reduced compared to normal AT car as well.

I know these CVT's are tend to fail over the time, but I would like to know is there any place where I can get this issue sorted out ?? I heared these gear boxes can be repaired ?? if so how much will it cost me?? how much will it cost to buy a new gear box??what are the alternatives I have ?? Car is still drive-able, but would like to sort this issue before it get worst and since I have no intention of selling this due to fuel economy..

I have spent close to 20000 for all repairs..and those are also nothing major (engine mounts and tiny stuff) car is so reliable and that's why I would love to use this for another few years...

Expert advises are always welcome !!!

Thanks

PerfMad

Hello Perfmad,

Sry to hear your troubles. Maybe you should have it checked from Upul at Malabe. I have been there twice for minor stuff and to be honest didnt witness anything extraordinary how things are going there but a regular told me that when he faced a gearbox issue ,Stafford made a blunder of an excuse and Upul had sorted the problem out.Hopefully yours too . This is his mobile 0777735251.

Good luck.

Also I think the gearbox oil change has much larger frequency than every 18000 km.

Hi All,

First of all I must say this is my very first thread on AL. And I did few search on AL and by google, couldn't find a proper solution, therefore thought of opening a separate thread. Sorry if this is a re-post.

The story begins like this,

I bought a 2004 Honda City with 7 speed cvt gear box 2.5 years ago.. Car is really good in fuel consumption (does around 11-13 within city limits & 18-20 in outstation-highway mostly) bcz i try to keep the REV within 1500-2000 most of the time, therefore I have no intention of selling this car in near future.

Car was clocked at 93000Km when I bought it and now its close to 119000KM.. Previous owner and myself both went to St@fford motors to change the cvt oil and its been changed within every 15000-18000 KM...

Issue is ,recently I've noticed that my car sometimes disengage gear when i put to REVERSE gear.. and this rarely happens when I put it to "D" as well.. And also have noticed that pulling power(mainly initial pulling power) in Reverse gear and D has been reduced compared to normal AT car as well.

I know these CVT's are tend to fail over the time, but I would like to know is there any place where I can get this issue sorted out ?? I heared these gear boxes can be repaired ?? if so how much will it cost me?? how much will it cost to buy a new gear box??what are the alternatives I have ?? Car is still drive-able, but would like to sort this issue before it get worst and since I have no intention of selling this due to fuel economy..

I have spent close to 20000 for all repairs..and those are also nothing major (engine mounts and tiny stuff) car is so reliable and that's why I would love to use this for another few years...

Expert advises are always welcome !!!

Thanks

PerfMad

welcome to the forum, not to burst your bubble but im not sure if there any mech whos capable of repairing a CVT box yet in SL. But why not give it a shot, theres a place called Nilwala who specialized for overhauling conventional Autoboxes, why not give them a call.

http://www.autotransmissionrepair.lk/

Ps: mods please remove the link if it against forum rules.

Edited by Ruslan

Hi zaradiyel

Thanks for the contact.. Well these CVT gear boxes oil is advised to change by 20000KM .. but since we drive in colombo i tend to change it within 15000-18000km..

And i think even honda normal AT gear boxes are advised to change within 20000-25000km.. we also have a ES8 and do change it within 20000-25000km...

Hi Ruslan

Thanks for sharing info.. I will have a look on both mentioned places...

@everyone - is there anyone else who has the same issue ?? I believe this issue is common to JAZZ models as well..

Thanks..

• 5 weeks later...

Hi PerfMad

I have a GD8 Fit Aria (2008) which has the exact problem. I bought the car when the meter reading was at 66000Km and the problems started after I have driven about 1000kms. When I shift to reverse it takes few mili secs before start moving and gears disengage while in idle.

I have noticed that this happens only after a cold start and stops after driving about 10 mins.

Stafford was clueless on how to fix this even after a test drive with one of their mechanics. They said the problem could be because previous owner used non CVT gear box oil. They suggested an engine tune up and an oil change or to replace the gear box if it doesn't fix the problem.I did the engine tune up but the problems are still there.

My usual mechanic dismantled and cleaned the gear box but didnot see any improvement. He said a replacement will cost around 150k to 200k.

It is a superb car except for this problem. But market value of this car has come down I don't think it is wise to spend another 200k for a repair. Hopefully place mentioned by Ruslan can fix this problem.

• Like 1

Hi PerfMad

I have a GD8 Fit Aria (2008) which has the exact problem. I bought the car when the meter reading was at 66000Km and the problems started after I have driven about 1000kms. When I shift to reverse it takes few mili secs before start moving and gears disengage while in idle.

I have noticed that this happens only after a cold start and stops after driving about 10 mins.

Stafford was clueless on how to fix this even after a test drive with one of their mechanics. They said the problem could be because previous owner used non CVT gear box oil. They suggested an engine tune up and an oil change or to replace the gear box if it doesn't fix the problem.I did the engine tune up but the problems are still there.

My usual mechanic dismantled and cleaned the gear box but didnot see any improvement. He said a replacement will cost around 150k to 200k.

It is a superb car except for this problem. But market value of this car has come down I don't think it is wise to spend another 200k for a repair. Hopefully place mentioned by Ruslan can fix this problem.

Hi Thilinap

I know that's the exact response from St@ford.. they first ask to change the oil, and may be engine tuneup.. when nothing works they come to conclusion saying previous owner have used non CVT oil and bla bla... As per the research i have done so far regarding HONDA cvt gear box of these model have a wet clutch system, if im not mistaken and this tends to slip by the time.. If we can replace that part i think we can overcome with this issue.. I cant exactly recall this, cz i read these articles few months back...

And is there any new CVT gear boxes available or used ones (cz nobody knows the condition of the used gear box either)... ??

Is it possible to convert this to manual gears ? cz i remember this same model came with manual 6 speed gear box (if um not mistaken).. and how much will it cost to do the change..

I'm checking for alternatives to fix this issue.. I had a chat to ma garage guy, he asked me to check with Nilw@la place..

Hoping to pay a visit soon..

cheers

Guys I think these boxes have already been repaired in SL.

Check with Nilwala, failing which I think Indika repaired a CVT box. Don't worry about it too much. There are lots of maka basses but there are a few who are excellent workmen as well. More often than not, most issues can be rectified.

• 3 months later...

Hi All

Just an update on this.. Today I went to Nilwala motors to check on my cvt gear box issue.. After a trial run he advised me to use this for lil longer cz that slipping issue doesn't come always. And later I asked whether this drive chain can be replaced.. And his answer was Yes.

However he mentioned that it will take 2 days for the repair (fingers crossed) but might need to replace worn out parts along with it (i.e clutch plates) and all..

He said it will roughly cost 65000/- which sounds reasonable ? Just posting these since I know there are people who are undergoing the same issue..

Cheers

• Like 1

Does the GP1 also come with the same CVT box? If that is the case considering the thousands of GP1s running on our roads, those Mechanics are in for a purple patch ;)

GP1, Shuttle GP2, Freed GP3, GP4, CR-Z and Civic Hybrid all come with a CVT box.

• 3 weeks later...
You could also try out Indika Motors at Kollonnawa. He managed to sort out few issues with my CVT and it runs smoothly now.

If you dont mind me asking, what sort of issues did you get rid of ?

Cheers

If you dont mind me asking, what sort of issues did you get rid of ?

Cheers

There was a hesitation in engadging reverse in the cold starts and a loud thud when it engadge. additionally sometime back a slight cvt judder was there and it was sorted out by changing the internal cvt oil filter. Both were sorted out.

• Like 1

There was a hesitation in engadging reverse in the cold starts and a loud thud when it engadge. additionally sometime back a slight cvt judder was there and it was sorted out by changing the internal cvt oil filter. Both were sorted out.

thanks for the info mate.. if you dont mind how much did it cost you ? and when was this ?

I should pay a visit and see :)

Cheers

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone! I own the same car and the key point where all the faults come is not what you think. Neither engine trouble Nor the gear box. It all happens because of a bad ignition coil. Not the spark plug. The bush attached to the ignition coil is causing these misses in engine.I used my City princess for more than 3years and still i have not replaced or repaired the gearbox. This damaged bush of ignition coil will be never detected from a scanning device unless it is fully out or dead. If you want to see whether it is true,take a black insulating tape and wound it around the rubber part of the ignition coil. This will be a temperory solution. So buy a genuine coil and always have your bae smooth... Thumbs up!

post-71682-0-40282300-1457431632_thumb.j

Edited by Eranda1994
  • Like 1

Hello everyone! I own the same car and the key point where all the faults come is not what you think. Neither engine trouble Nor the gear box. It all happens because of a bad ignition coil. Not the spark plug. The bush attached to the ignition coil is causing these misses in engine.I used my City princess for more than 3years and still i have not replaced or repaired the gearbox. This damaged bush of ignition coil will be never detected from a scanning device unless it is fully out or dead. If you want to see whether it is true,take a black insulating tape and wound it around the rubber part of the ignition coil. This will be a temperory solution. So buy a genuine coil and always have your bae smooth... Thumbs up!
Welcome to the forum!

It's highly unlikely that OP's problem is related to a faulty ignition coil. Sure, ignition coils fail, but I don't think it's fair to say that it's the source of "all" problems. :)

Edited by Davy

I too guess this is the issue.I had several occasions where garage people point it out to the transmission box but ultimately the issue is with some sensor or either a coil pack.Recently my vios experienced a hard shifiting when driving and cluth slip like symptom when put into reverse.Nothing came in the ECU scan.Based on the experience I told my mechanic to check my coil packs and try replacing and checking one by one with a new coil pack.Found the faulty one and smooth as silk once again.

Hi zaradiyel

Thanks for the contact.. Well these CVT gear boxes oil is advised to change by 20000KM .. but since we drive in colombo i tend to change it within 15000-18000km..

And i think even honda normal AT gear boxes are advised to change within 20000-25000km.. we also have a ES8 and do change it within 20000-25000km...

Hi Ruslan

Thanks for sharing info.. I will have a look on both mentioned places...

@everyone - is there anyone else who has the same issue ?? I believe this issue is common to JAZZ models as well..

Thanks..

Hello bro.. I have a GD6. When I visited S****d for a oil change, they recommended 15,000 km. So you better stick with it rather than going for 20,000 km.

• Like 1

Hello bro.. I have a GD6. When I visited S****d for a oil change, they recommended 15,000 km. So you better stick with it rather than going for 20,000 km.

GD 6 is 1300cc ya? does it come with a CVT gear box as well ? does it have triptronic gears? i thought it came with a normal gear box since one of my neighbor complained its not even doing 10kmpl in city limits.

• 4 months later...
On 7/22/2015 at 9:24 PM, HRV said:

You could also try out Indika Motors at Kollonnawa. He managed to sort out few issues with my CVT and it runs smoothly now.

Hi.

Can you give me Indika at Kolonnawa 's mobile phone number?

ABD