• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Slow Down Led Turn Signal Blinking Rate (Hyper Flash)

Splat

Question

If you upgrade your turn signals from normal bulb to LED would the blinking rate increase? and if so what measures to take to slow down the blinking rate down to normal? :action-smiley-076:

Edited by Splat

13 answers to this question

Does it really increse that much of speed to reduce? Have you check whther your all indicators are working?

Yes it has to change signal flasher is based on a RLC circuit. With the installation of LED bulbs resistance has been changed try to add some resistance in series it might change the frequency

Yes it has to change signal flasher is based on a RLC circuit. With the installation of LED bulbs resistance has been changed try to add some resistance in series it might change the frequency

theoretically , this resister should be attached in parallel ( actually what happened is , now this system draws very low current comparing to previous ).

, then this resistor + LED should draw the same current which was drawn by a normal bulb

but the proper solution is,

with these LED bulbs , there should be an LED flasher module.

Edited by MV-5

Just one LED will not be enough to light up a turn indicator. So you will have to install a set of bulbs as a grid (following a serial and parallel formation). So theoretically, you can have the grid draw the same amount of current similar to a regular bulb.

In fact, there are SMD modules that plug straight into the bulb socket without the need for modification of anything. But I believe some do have a resistor, depending on the number of SMDs sitting on the board.

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about. Pretty sure you will be able to find one compatible with your car's bulb holder type.

7507-PY21W-BAU15S-5050-SMD-turn-signal-c

Edited by Davy

Wait.... Now we are putting LEDs because they consume less power, so to go green,reduce the carbon foot print,reduce global warming...... aren't we? But with this setup we just consume the same power. Then you just get cosmetic effect only.

if it is for power saving,turn signal bulb is the last thing that we need to replace with LEDs

Wait.... Now we are putting LEDs because they consume less power, so to go green,reduce the carbon foot print,reduce global warming...... aren't we? But with this setup we just consume the same power. Then you just get cosmetic effect only.

To add to what MV-5 has stated, LEDs are far more reliable (longer lifetime) than ordinary tungsten bulbs. They emit less heat as well.

To add to what MV-5 has stated, LEDs are far more reliable (longer lifetime) than ordinary tungsten bulbs. They emit less heat as well.

except the eBay chinese LEDs are not :)

Hello, Sorry for my late response. I found a solution :sport-smiley-003: but I need to experiment on this and be sure. What I learnt is that the old vehicles use a thermal flasher. A thermal flasher system uses a change in temperature that's converted to a mechanical displacement using two types metal strips also called "bimetallic strip" this switch system is used in our Mothers clothing iron's and rice cookers :)

How ever the modern cars use Flasher relays that consist of transistors and electronic IC's. These flasher relays have a warning system that show the driver if a bulb is fused. a fast flashing visual ( around 3-4 blinks per second) also called "hyper flash" This is a safety mechanism indication. So if a LED upgrade is don to a car with this flash relay due to the low power consumption of the LED's, the flasher relay is tricked that there is fused bulb that needs to be changed that results in a hyper flash (fast flash).

Ah... I almost forgot, Yes !!!!!! LED bulbs for automotive upgrades are available in Sri Lanka. You can try 1st Cross Street in Pettah and also at Panchikawatta Colombo 10. I found that the LED bulbs at Panchikawatta were affordable in price. :)

Edited by Splat