• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tyres - What Brand To Choose?

Thats how it usually starts. Later, citing cost reasons, all production will move to china.

• 9 months later...
The choice was pretty simple for me too..

205/50 R17 Continental - 68,000 x4 = 272,000

205/50 R17 Kinforest - 11,500 x 4 = 46,000

That a point....I also search for Car DVD Player such as Kenwood or paineer they are between 45k-55k, Then i search chinease one.Only 15k , so we can replace four new Chinese players for price of branded one. Replace with Chinese and just fine for me. Some ppl said sound quality and video quality , i played HD Mp4 on my Chinese one , and quality is awesome.

All are based on way ppl thinking and their personal preference,

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I replaced tires with NEXEN nblue HD (215/65/16). I didn't do much research before buying. However, later I found that NEXEN nblue HD is a passenger car tire and for SUV/Crossovers like Tuscon, Nexen recommends SUV tire such as NFERARU5.

Is there a huge difference between passenger car tires and SUV tires? Should it be a factor when choosing tires (though I am too late now!!!)

Thanks

Hi,

I replaced tires with NEXEN nblue HD (215/65/16). I didn't do much research before buying. However, later I found that NEXEN nblue HD is a passenger car tire and for SUV/Crossovers like Tuscon, Nexen recommends SUV tire such as NFERARU5.

Is there a huge difference between passenger car tires and SUV tires? Should it be a factor when choosing tires (though I am too late now!!!)

Thanks

Edited by Kavvz

Hi,

Thanks

My Sorento manual includes passenger (p-metric) tires as specification. You should be fine

(I use NFERA U5 myself but the vehicle came with Roadian 581's - from Kia Motors - which are termed as passenger/SUV tires)

Edited by vishkid
  • Like 1

Im using Chinese tyres (kinforest, deruibo) on both my cars. This is after switching from Continental, Bridgestone and Hankook. Personally I would never buy anything other than Chinese tyres anymore because frankly I feel no difference between those and branded ones, irrespective of the road condition or weather condition.

Well if you stick to the left and go below 50 there will not be any difference between Chinese and other banded ones i guess

So had an interesting (and expensive) learning experience today... The OEM tyre fitment on the 2 is a set of 185x60x16 Dunlop Enasaves. Does that sound like an unusual size to you? Congratulations, you've just understood the root of my problem! Here's what happened.

I had a puncture on the E01 last month, was a bit scary but managed to keep it together and got off at the Kaluthara exit, put the spare on and drove back. Would have driven 5-8 Kilometres on the deflating tyre at highway speed. Had to drive back to Colombo on the spare as no tyre shop was open (day before avurudhu). So made it back to Olympic tyre in kirulapone, got the tyre patched and went on my way. Noticed that it was a particularly large piece of iron and had entered at an awkward angle, at the very edge of the tread close to the sidewall. But it held up fine after the patch so I figured all good.

Fast forward to yesterday, was on E02 moving at slightly extra legal speed when a vibration from the rear started up at speed. Checked the tyres to find that there was a bulge in the sidewall of the repaired tyre. So replacement it had to be, I figured since the car had less than 3500 KM on it I could get away with just one tyre or two at best....

Then I start calling around and quickly figure out that NOBODY stocks 185x60X16, zero places, most didn't even know that there WAS such a tire! So after a bit of growling to myself I decided to bite the bullet and had to spring for a set of 4 in a more common size, going with 205x55x16s because I was thinking of wider tyres anyway.

Ended up with Toyo DRBs (Indonesian made) from Amila Tyre at 16.5 k apiece. They threw in a significant reduction on top of that for my 3 good Enasaves. The difference is quite something as the Toyos are MUCH quieter and smoother and they appear to have improved braking grip as well. Must put them through their paces properly to see how they are but so far I'm quite pleased. Still it was an expensive experience all in all and I've complained to the agent about importing cars without first checking on the availability of consumables. It turns out the 2 is the first car in Sri Lanka with this particular size..... Well, there's a learning in everything if you look hard enough.

Edited by Supra_Natural

They can sell at a good margin for another customer with same issue!

Yeap. The tyre shop owner's probably rubbing his hands with glee at the thought that he's probably the ONLY shop in SL with these tyre size in stock !! :D

Edited by Kavvz

.... I've complained to the agent about importing cars without first checking on the availability of consumables. It turns out the 2 is the first car in Sri Lanka with this particular size..... Well, there's a learning in everything if you look hard enough.

Yeah its strange that the agent doesn't stock these tyres. (Are they not legally obligated to do so based on their agreement with Mazda?)

Too bad the customer service manager there (at the agents) didn't use his head and offer to sell you the tyres off a car in the show room for you. Now THAT would have been a stroke of PR brilliance by the man and a real win for Colonial.

Edited by Kavvz

Yeah its strange that the agent doesn't stock these tyres. (Are they not legally obligated to do so based on their agreement with Mazda?)

Too bad the customer service manager there (at the agents) didn't use his head and offer to sell you the tyres off a car in the show room for you. Now THAT would have been a stroke of PR brilliance by the man and a real win for Colonial.

Im curious to know what they come up with, car is at the agent today to get a checkup so will be asking about it. Lol, would have been interesting if they had managed to pull that off but to be honest, I wanted wider tyres on the car anyway so I'm not too worried about it (cost aside).

Having given the car a bit of a workout on the new tyres last night, I can honestly say I don't regret the change, there's a significant difference in grip along with an improved ride and less noise also. Win win I'd say.

Hi,

Thanks

Wouldn't that increase tyre wear?

• 3 years later...
37 minutes ago, invisibleuser said:

Hi All,

Since some time has gone, I would like to ask whether it is a good decision to move from branded one to China/Korean one. Because most of people saying that there is not much difference between branded ones and China/Korean ones now a days.

Thanks & Cheers!!

If your life only worth the price of 4 tires.Then yes

• Like 2

3 hours ago, invisibleuser said:

Hi All,

Since some time has gone, I would like to ask whether it is a good decision to move from branded one to China/Korean one. Because most of people saying that there is not much difference between branded ones and China/Korean ones now a days.

Thanks & Cheers!!

Depends on how keen a driver you are....

Things like road noise or comfort are hard even for the uninitiated to miss but the limits of grip lets say most ordinary drivers will miss

I've noticed drastic differences even in tries made in certain countries/for certain markets made by the same (well reputed) manufacturers so it's not just the brand but also the product line and the characteristics attached that make a difference in how the tire really performs

• Like 1

There are good Korean brands that are even fitted to Euro performance cars

Do not expect to save on the price, they are more expensive than Thailand/ Indonesian Euro/ Jap brands

Brand like GT is generally ok for day to day use

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies. I'm not comparing the prices. Even though it is Chinese/Korean there is not much difference regarding to the price. Based on the tire shop owner and workers, there is not much difference when it compares to the comfy and road noise between branded and others. May be they are saying so because of the profit margin :). That's why I've asked it here from experts. By the way it seems to be good to be with current brand (Dunlop) based on the replies I guess.

3 hours ago, invisibleuser said:

Thanks all for the replies. I'm not comparing the prices. Even though it is Chinese/Korean there is not much difference regarding to the price. Based on the tire shop owner and workers, there is not much difference when it compares to the comfy and road noise between branded and others. May be they are saying so because of the profit margin :). That's why I've asked it here from experts. By the way it seems to be good to be with current brand (Dunlop) based on the replies I guess.

What is the tire size you're looking for if you don't mind me asking and what is the vehicle it'll be going on @invisibleuser?

• 3 weeks later...

I currently have Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 on my car(185/65R15). Now they are on their last breath, so I plan to go for the 195/65/R15 as Toyota has mentioned this variant on tire detail sticker. So I’m interested in two models. Previously owned and proven durable(done 60,000kms) Ecopia 150 and Dunlop Veuro VE302. I have no experiences about Dunlop. Can someone share his experiences on Veuro and which is the best among them?

• 10 months later...
On 8/19/2019 at 2:37 PM, alpha17 said:

I currently have Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 on my car(185/65R15). Now they are on their last breath, so I plan to go for the 195/65/R15 as Toyota has mentioned this variant on tire detail sticker. So I’m interested in two models. Previously owned and proven durable(done 60,000kms) Ecopia 150 and Dunlop Veuro VE302. I have no experiences about Dunlop. Can someone share his experiences on Veuro and which is the best among them?

I used Bridgestone Ecopia on my previous car. It is a very good tyre with low noise (mostly no noise) on my LEAF. Now I'm using Dunlop Taiwan on my SUV. I think noise is loud than Dunlop Japan. 

19 hours ago, SmartGuy said:

I used Bridgestone Ecopia on my previous car. It is a very good tyre with low noise (mostly no noise) on my LEAF. Now I'm using Dunlop Taiwan on my SUV. I think noise is loud than Dunlop Japan. 

@SmartGuy the tread pattern also contributes immensely

Is your jeep on All Terrain or Mud Terrain tires per chance? 

Devinda_Z,

Can you inform the problems on LEAF car. A friend of mine is trying to sell his car due various problems he is facing. Also good repair workshop to go for repairs.

You can Email me instead of replying to this page because this page is for tires.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Edited by Sylvi
Few spelling mistakes.
  • Like 1