• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tyres - What Brand To Choose?

The choice was pretty simple for me too..

205/50 R17 Continental - 68,000 x4 = 272,000

205/50 R17 Kinforest - 11,500 x 4 = 46,000

Wow. Pretty huge price difference on those tyre brands!

I can't really help you guys with the tyre brands but I do want to just throw it out there that whatever the brand you guys buy and use on the car, please change your tyres out when they start getting close to the tread-wear bars ( tread wear indicators) and NEVER run your tyres till they get bald or use them if there is any damage or cracking on the side walls.

I slid off the road in the wet due to bald tyres and have since learnt to never skimp on tyre maintenance and to change them out at the first signs of wear or deterioration.

Those little four patches of rubber is what's keeping you (safe) on the road and no amount of fancy adaptive suspension, traction control, AWD system is going to make a difference if your tyres are crap.

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 5

Having Nexen tires on a montero, completely disturbing road noise and the wear is also not good,

Only done 25 000km on a set of 255/70/18R and showing signs of wear would barely be able to do another 10 000km safely.

Stopping and cornering havent been an issue, but the road noise on the highway at 100kmph is almost unbearable.

Wonder how much a bridgestone/ yokohama/ Dunlop or any other branded one or a soft compound non premium 18" SUV tier would cost

Those little four patches of rubber is what's keeping you (safe) on the road and no amount of fancy adaptive suspension, traction control, AWD system is going to make a difference if your tyres are crap.

Exactly - a point well made

I think someone once said that contact patch is on average no larger than an A4 sheet :o

As far as the cheap Chinese tires would do argument - to each his own...

However i for one wouldn't mind paying that premium if i know a tire had a compound & a tread pattern that would best suit the conditions i drive in as well the way i drive.

I'm not saying the most expensive tire is the best - having used Continental before i can concur that the compound is far too soft for local conditions but for someone to claim that there is no noticeable difference between something like that & a low cost tire with differing attributes is something i find hard to believe....

(The comparison is noting the performance of a mix of Japanese, American & Chinese branded used on a particular vehicle, for over a decade)

Exactly - a point well made

I think someone once said that contact patch is on average no larger than an A4 sheet :o

As far as the cheap Chinese tires would do argument - to each his own...

However i for one wouldn't mind paying that premium if i know a tire had a compound & a tread pattern that would best suit the conditions i drive in as well the way i drive.

I'm not saying the most expensive tire is the best - having used Continental before i can concur that the compound is far too soft for local conditions but for someone to claim that there is no noticeable difference between something like that & a low cost tire with differing attributes is something i find hard to believe....

(The comparison is noting the performance of a mix of Japanese, American & Chinese branded used on a particular vehicle, for over a decade)

You should watch that fifth gear episode where they put tyres to the test. Now they did not test road noise, comfort etc. They only tested stopping distance in wet and dry on brand new tyres. In that test there wasn't a significant difference between premium tyres and budget tyres.

Having said that, even I switched to Pirelli P Zeros recently as the Bridgstone Potenza run flats that came with my car (these are the OEM tyres for this model and fitted from the factory as well) as the ride on the Potenzas were far too harsh for my liking (this is made worse by the so called sports suspension) and read the P Zeros offered a far nicer ride. Sure enough this has been found to be true and there is a noticeable difference in terms of ride quality and noise (which I didn't care about). So there is a difference. The question is in a motor which goes from A-B and driven by somebody whose sole purpose is to get to a destination, would that make a difference.

Also what was proven was that rather than brand, what mattered was that the tyres had enough thread when it comes to stopping distance. So from a safety perspective its always better to have new budget tyres vs worn premium tyres.

Hi Crosswind,

Where did you buy the Kinforest?

I am looking for the same size 205/50/17. This size tyre is not available is many places. Thanks in advance.

Only found a brand called Minerva. But couldn't find 4 tyres.

Anyone else has experience on this Minerva brand? thanks.

You should watch that fifth gear episode where they put tyres to the test. Now they did not test road noise, comfort etc. They only tested stopping distance in wet and dry on brand new tyres. In that test there wasn't a significant difference between premium tyres and budget tyres.

Having said that, even I switched to Pirelli P Zeros recently as the Bridgstone Potenza run flats that came with my car (these are the OEM tyres for this model and fitted from the factory as well) as the ride on the Potenzas were far too harsh for my liking (this is made worse by the so called sports suspension) and read the P Zeros offered a far nicer ride. Sure enough this has been found to be true and there is a noticeable difference in terms of ride quality and noise (which I didn't care about). So there is a difference. The question is in a motor which goes from A-B and driven by somebody whose sole purpose is to get to a destination, would that make a difference.

Also what was proven was that rather than brand, what mattered was that the tyres had enough thread when it comes to stopping distance. So from a safety perspective its always better to have new budget tyres vs worn premium tyres.

Link pls :)

Like i said "to each his own" - as far as i'm concerned & based on my driving style, in town or not, it doesn't cut it.

Concur on the wear factor though - fancy or not worn in worn - needs replacing if they're below the min tread depth

Link pls :)

Like i said "to each his own" - as far as i'm concerned & based on my driving style, in town or not, it doesn't cut it.

Concur on the wear factor though - fancy or not worn in worn - needs replacing if they're below the min tread depth

Ah my man. but you don't always have an option as to whats on the car you drive (when it wasn't your money your petrol). I've driven my share of crappy cars in my life. Little thread, no thread, no brakes, failed power steering, over loaded 3 times over and fish tailing. Always came home and always safely.

My point is part of the equation of being safe is knowing whats going on with your car and adapting to it. Tyres are just part of the equation.

I can't watch it as its blocked but I think this is the link

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3De2c9Ry0JfMw&ei=C70BVbezN4PKOuHxgPAK&usg=AFQjCNGdkO0_JVbctdNEsvppU0lOdZcJJw&bvm=bv.87920726,d.ZWU

This is either from the same show or different

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCiQnbLWiw4c&ei=C70BVbezN4PKOuHxgPAK&usg=AFQjCNGklwxdGGUSOkO4TA-anyxzma8tPg&bvm=bv.87920726,d.ZWU

I don't know how complete the above are.

If you can afford, put the best tyres you can afford I say. If you can't doesn't matter even if its Ceat or Kelani, just have tyres with enough thread on them. Thats my personal view anyway.

Anyone try maxxis MA-Z1 tires?

I heard they are soft tires and give good comfort.

I reccomend them and use them myself.

But here's the thing. With Tyres everything depends on what you want to do with it. MA-Z1 has a softer compound, so provides good grip, reduced noise and a bit more comfortable but the price you pay is faster wear.

I am planning to buy 4 new tyres for my Toyota 121 car.

I met a local tire agent and he gave me 2 offers.

Here are prices for single tire

Maxxis-Rs 10,300(korean brand)
Good Year-Rs 11,900 (australian brand)

To get the maximum ride comfort and duraility what should i select? Experts please give your ideas.

Edited by lahiru_carlover

Currently there's a thread going on called tyre prices, where the same brands have been discussed. Search the forum without being lazy.

Just FYI! maxxis is a taiwan brand. Their production facilities are in china and thailand. Good year is an american brand. They manufactre tires all over the world.

Currently there's a thread going on called tyre prices, where the same brands have been discussed. Search the forum without being lazy. Just FYI! maxxis is a taiwan brand. Their production facilities are in china and thailand. Good year is an american brand. They manufactre tires all over the world.

I created this thread to get a more specific answer.In that thread they discuss generally abt tires.

Shop owner told Good year tire which they have are manufactured in australia.sometimes they may build in Good year Australian factory.

I created this thread to get a more specific answer.In that thread they discuss generally abt tires.

Shop owner told Good year tire which they have are manufactured in australia.sometimes they may build in Good year Australian factory.

This is the problem with the typical lazy sri lankan... never bothers to do their own research...

Check this...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodyear_Tire_and_Rubber_Company#Manufacturing_and_Development_Facilities

You can still use that thread to ask your "specific" question, because the answers you will get on a new thread (this one) will not be different from what you would get in the existing thread.

We like to keep similar information together because it will help people like you search and find them much easily.

I met a local tire agent and he gave me 2 offers.

Here are prices for single tire

Maxxis-Rs 10,300

Good Year-Rs 11,900

To get the maximum ride comfort and duraility what should i select? Experts please give your ideas.

You were answered very clearly on the separate thread you posted yesterday innit? Why asking the same question here?

You were answered very clearly on the separate thread you posted yesterday innit? Why asking the same question here?

Country i mentioned can be a mistake..so don't think about the manufactured country.we can check it using code in the tire.

my main question is regarding comfort and durability if we compare good year original and maxxis original tires.

Threads merged.

Lahiru Carlover. If there is a brand on a tyre, its an original. I have not heard of duplicate tyres.

The same tyre is manufactured in multiple countries with slightly different compounds.

If you want a meaningful answer to your question, when asking about tyres please supply the following information

Brand, Model, Country of manufacture (For example Goodyear, DuraPlus, Indonesia)