• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Lancer Ex - Optimal Fuel Consumption

dasunh

I recently bought a Lancer Ex 2008 GLS which is a A/T car. I'm using 95 Octane as fuel. I can only get 8 to 9 KM/L out of it in city limits. I heard that manual Lancer EX does more than 12, 13 KM/L in city limits. My questions are

• Is there a ECO mode where I gain get more?
  • Best practices to be followed(in A/T)?
  • How can I improve? Any techniques or advice?

Thanks in advance

I recently bought a Lancer Ex 2008 GLS which is a A/T car. I'm using 95 Octane as fuel. I can only get 8 to 9 KM/L out of it in city limits. I heard that manual Lancer EX does more than 12, 13 KM/L in city limits. My questions are

Thanks in advance

I had one for 3 years, and the figure is more or less what i got.

I was pumping 90 octane without any issues.

Fill-Up Statistics

Last updated 2014.07.30

Avg km/L:9.158

Max km/L:9.758

Min km/L:7.972

Last km/L:9.758

Avg Rs/L:170.200

Min Rs/L:170.200

Max Rs/L:170.200

Last Rs/L:170.200

Rs/km:18.586

Rs/fillup:6,666.67

Rs/day:363.64

Km/Rs:0.0538

L/fillup:39.170

Days/fillup:28.0

Km/fillup:304

L/day:1.399

Total L:117.509

Total Records:3

Total Rs:20,000.00

Driving conditions : 60% city, 40% outstation

ODO: 638 km.

Disclaimer : Thought to share FE statics hoping it would help somebody some day (and I'm that jobless now :D)

Quoted from the bratt thread

• Like 2

Thanks in advance

Man, aint Auto Lanka filled with Lancer owners now... :sport-smiley-003:

AFAIK figures you quoted are ok & there's no eco mode. (you can refer BRATT thread as well). A light foot could save a little. Anyways dont compare fuel figures of a manual with an auto.. its like comparing an escalator with an stair well. Both does the same function but in two different ways..

I had one for 3 years, and the figure is more or less what i got.

I was pumping 90 octane without any issues.

I'm sure future owners of your car will pay for your sins...

• Like 1

AFAIK figures you quoted are ok & there's no eco mode. (you can refer BRATT thread as well). A light foot could save a little. Anyways dont compare fuel figures of a manual with an auto.. its like comparing an escalator with an stair well. Both does the same function but in two different ways..

Why do you need to run 95 octane petrol on a Lancer? From what I know the 90 octane petrol has more consistent quality than the 95 octane (due to 90 octane being sourced from more consistent sources and 95 from all over the place) in SL so unless there is a specific need there is no point.

Why do you need to run 95 octane petrol on a Lancer? From what I know the 90 octane petrol has more consistent quality than the 95 octane (due to 90 octane being sourced from more consistent sources and 95 from all over the place) in SL so unless there is a specific need there is no point.

It's stated that 95 to be used on the lid.

It's stated that 95 to be used on the lid.

I see, in that case better to use 95 octane.

Incidentally do you experience light knocking on the engine when standard petrol is used (RON numbers on SL fuels are very inconsistent)?. Because from what I understand it does not harm the engine to run lower RON numbered petrol (like many do on Subarus that need higher than 95 petrol) but you just can't get as much power out of the engine, and you might experience light knocking.

Do you have the users manual?

It's started in the user manual as well.

Better you switch to a Prius.And why did you buy an EX if you are that much fuel conscious?

I had a Lancer and I bought a Lancer and next time I'm going too buy a Lancer. There are no second thoughts but what I'm trying to do here is get more fuel efficiency much as possible.

HGTnTjt.png?1

E84WMHR.png?1

Thanks for the info

I see, in that case better to use 95 octane.

Incidentally do you experience light knocking on the engine when standard petrol is used (RON numbers on SL fuels are very inconsistent)?. Because from what I understand it does not harm the engine to run lower RON numbered petrol (like many do on Subarus that need higher than 95 petrol) but you just can't get as much power out of the engine, and you might experience light knocking.

I prefer to be on the safe side by running on 95. Also who ever willing to buy my car in the future will be safe too.

Well...you could

- use low resistance eco tires

- over inflate your tires (and sacrifice your suspension)

- tape up the gaps in the front of your car with duct tape to reduce drag (at the risk of over heating your engine due to poor ventilation)

- not take any passengers

- reduce weigh of yourself and passengers and I don't mean just body weight..get rid of heavy clothing, bags, etc.. etc...

- heck even wash it so the the dust doesn't increase drag on your car :)

but it doesn't necessarily mean you should do these (although some you could consider).

If the realistic FE for your car is 8~9 then you are pretty much going to be around that point and to help yourself a bit more you could probably change the way you drive. Gentle acceleration/braking, keep your car in good shape with clean air/other filters, properly inflated tires, maybe even plan your trips properly so you reduce unnecessary trips back and forth minimize time stuck in excessive traffic.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 2

Yup... It might be possible to do a swap if you can get your hands on one of those meter clusters with multicolored displays. But should get an ex first :( I have vowed myself to own an ex before I die :D

Edited by Jor-el
  • Like 4

Yup... It might be possible to do a swap if you can get your hands on one of those meter clusters with multicolored displays. But should get an ex first :( I have vowed myself to own an ex before I die :D
Yeah me too man, me too!

I wish you all the best guys :-)

Well...you could

- use low resistance eco tires

- over inflate your tires (and sacrifice your suspension)

- tape up the gaps in the front of your car with duct tape to reduce drag (at the risk of over heating your engine due to poor ventilation)

- not take any passengers

- reduce weigh of yourself and passengers and I don't mean just body weight..get rid of heavy clothing, bags, etc.. etc...

- heck even wash it so the the dust doesn't increase drag on your car :)

but it doesn't necessarily mean you should do these (although some you could consider).

If the realistic FE for your car is 8~9 then you are pretty much going to be around that point and to help yourself a bit more you could probably change the way you drive. Gentle acceleration/braking, keep your car in good shape with clean air/other filters, properly inflated tires, maybe even plan your trips properly so you reduce unnecessary trips back and forth minimize time stuck in excessive traffic.

Some are almost not practical but thanks for your contribution.

Oh no the guy who brought the car is thrilled with it.

Anyway as per the manual if I can remember correct anything above 87 or 89 was ok, it said that you might experience small loss of power / economy which I did not notice.

Funny thing is most of the Lancer EXs pumping 95 had to have their throttle body cleaned around 25k, in my case engine was running smooth as ever when I sold it around 40k.

I downloaded the book from US mitsu site... In SL you only get single color (type 1) multi colored panels are (type 2)

This is not from what is ment for SL, SL version was 1.5L (2007-2010)