• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice On Buying 1St Car - Budget Below 1.3 Million

Zaffy

Question

Hi guys,

I know there are loads of threads regarding queries and advises on choosing a new car, or choosing between an Indian new one or a used Japanese.

These threads are quite old and my problems are a bit complicated, so thought of seeking expert opinion of you guys :)

1. I plan to buy the car with a leasing package and hope to use the car for at least 3 - 5 years..

2. I have zero technical knowledge regarding cars/ vehicles as I have never driven one before.

3. Since I am going for leasing, I don't want to be spending much and frequently on the maintenance / repairs of the vehicle, hence I am reluctant to go for a car which is too old..

4. Need to travel 25-30 km daily, hence fuel efficiency is also important.

5. Budget - 1.1 -1.3 million

Please suggest a good option for me considering the above factors. :)

I like the new Maruti Alto 800 too, though it is priced at 1.42 million, I can go for it since its a brand new vehicle ( lease rentals would also be a little low )

I also gave a thought about the Hyundai Accent - auto, which I heard from a friend is a decent car + the price is very good for an automatic car.

Also, Kia Rio - Auto seems good for that price

But complicated in selecting options above or some other option, which seems bleak at this stage :)

Please suggest. Thanks in advance :)

Cheers!

Edited by Zaffy

Try to avoid the used accent as they were made on a budget and would not have aged well. I think a new Maruti will hold up better than an old accent (this doesn't apply to all Hyundai vehicles, just accent).

Also look at Japanese cars from the late 1990s early 2000s, though getting a lease might be a bit difficult. I do have a feeling though you can get a manual Viva Elite for about 1.4-1.5 million if you search for one with reasonable mileage. They would offer good fuel efficiency and decent reliability as the power train is Japanese.

Thanks mate,

What are your views on Kia rio/ spectra (2001/2002) saw some auto's for that price range..

Can't guarantee the reliability and spare parts availability on both Rio and Spectra. I think you will be better off with Perodua Kelisa probably 2007 model for 1.2-1.3 million...It's a better car than Maruti. Less maintenance and economical as well...Perodua Viva might be little bit expensive. but still worth to go than a Maruti..Just my view..

Edited by AbeysinghE
  • Like 1

Thanks mate,

What are your views on Kia rio/ spectra (2001/2002) saw some auto's for that price range..

Kia Rio is a base model car, and while it was built a bit better than the Accent its not that great. Spectra is better but the no of cars in SL is less so that kind of complicates maintenance a little bit though not impossible.

I think I aggree with AbeySingheE, The Kelissa is probably the best option if you can find one for 1.3M. You can get one build around 2005/2006 and imported brand new.

Kia Rio is a base model car, and while it was built a bit better than the Accent its not that great. Spectra is better but the no of cars in SL is less so that kind of complicates maintenance a little bit though not impossible.

I think I aggree with AbeySingheE, The Kelissa is probably the best option if you can find one for 1.3M. You can get one build around 2005/2006 and imported brand new.

As per your advises, Kelissa seems a good option. Would you rate a Kelissa higher than a brand new Maruti Alto, in terms of maintenance cost and resale value ?

Also you should be able to get a 2008 Viva (not the elite) 1000cc manual for around 1.35m. I think it has the same engine and transmission of the elite.

The 2008 Viva had a 850cc engine I believe and manual transmission. Thats probably the model to go for I guess.

Thanks for all the advises.

Your inputs will be greatly helpful for me to decide..

"Would you rate the 'Kelisa' higher than a brand new 'Maruti Alto', in terms of maintenance cost and resale value ?"

Can you guys assist me on the above question too?

"Would you rate the 'Kelisa' higher than a brand new 'Maruti Alto', in terms of maintenance cost and resale value ?"

Yes. Fun to drive car. Waaaay better than the maruti and resale value has remained stable for the last couple of years. Spare parts would be a little bit more exp but that's a small price to pay as you get a much much better car- it comes with a daihatsu engine and is quite reliable.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Zaffy" data-cid="273248" data-time="1425038145"><p>

Thanks for all the advises.<br />

Your inputs will be greatly helpful for me to decide..<br />

<br />

"Would you rate the 'Kelisa' higher than a brand new 'Maruti Alto', in terms of maintenance cost and resale value ?"<br />

<br />

Can you guys assist me on the above question too?</p></blockquote>

Kelissa in good condition is superior to the Maruti Alto. The Perouda actually runs an engine and gearbox from Japan while the Altos parts are manufactured in India. Its also a newer design and you will feel the difference. The car has also already suffered the initial deppreciation and subject to government policy price will hold relatively steady.

Oh, Panda,... I thought it was not considered reliable and the Alto fared better than the Panda in all counts.

If not, Brand new Panda suits my budget perfectly :)

Do not buy the Panda. Whatever you do avoid Chinese cars of this generation. Micro do not support them and they decintigrate really quickly with all sorts of weird problems. Search the forum, you will see feedback from real owners how bad a car it really is after a couple of years.

The biggest problem really is after sales service from Micro themselves.

The K-Series engine is manufactured by Maruti in India. It's not used in any Japanese vehicles. Its a completely indigenous Indian engine and its bloody noisy.

Gotta agree with the noisy part, once I parked my car near a new Alto and had to go around my car to make sure that bloody noise was not coming from my vehicle, I thought my AC compressor was packing up :)

Alto is a good option:

Reasons:

1. You can buy brand new one.So leasing is bit cheaper/easier.

2.So don't need to afraid of being caught to a crook who disguise a bad car as a good car[One in the forum may say you are already got caught by buying an Alto]

3.Its high ground clearance will help to a new driver[and with a new car you will have lot of places to visit]

3.you can pump up 92 octane and has good fuel economy.

4.Minimum bells and whistles. So you will not have to repair them.

5.The most important thing to new driver is it has manual transmission. Otherwise you won't learn to drive a manual in your entire life.For you , you will never have that thrill of a driving manual. For others, you will too closely keep your vehicle behind a MT vehicle in an incline and honk madly if its wheels turn backwards few degrees.

6.Freely available and relatively cheap spare parts.

• Like 1

Alto is a good option:

Reasons:

1. You can buy brand new one.So leasing is bit cheaper/easier.

2.So don't need to afraid of being caught to a crook who disguise a bad car as a good car[One in the forum may say you are already got caught by buying an Alto]

3.Its high ground clearance will help to a new driver[and with a new car you will have lot of places to visit]

3.you can pump up 92 octane and has good fuel economy.

4.Minimum bells and whistles. So you will not have to repair them.

5.The most important thing to new driver is it has manual transmission. Otherwise you won't learn to drive a manual in your entire life.For you , you will never have that thrill of a driving manual. For others, you will too closely keep your vehicle behind a MT vehicle in an incline and honk madly if its wheels turn backwards few degrees.

6.Freely available and relatively cheap spare parts.

Very informative Luckey007, Thank you

Actually, you are the 1st and only one here backing the Alto, considering the fact that it is the first car / lease thing and other scenarios..

It would be interesting to see what others think about your opinion