• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sri Lankan Railways - Locomotives

sathyajithj99

Class M9 (Alstom) was the worst blunder ever made by the railway authorities in Sri Lanka. There's a lot of criticism about these but the biggest problem was they were too advanced for our railway people. If you compare an M9 with an M2, its like comparing a Morris Minor with a modern Mercedes. And our railway staff simply didnt want to upgrade their skills. For example, when the M9 senses a derailment, it automatically brakes and stops the engine, saving thousands of lives. Our retards didnt appreciate its features and said its having 'electronic problems'.

Yes. I think this is one of the most technologically advanced locomotive SL ever had. Our age old infrastructure, maintenace practices and mentality could not cope with it. Initially the problem began with engine over heating. As you can see the prime mover is mostly covered as they were meant for colder climates. Decision to import them without custom climatic upgrades is flawed. CGR put the blame entirely on Loco itself which many thought a modern era has finally arrived to CGR.

There are 2 versions of S12 power sets depending on geographical usage.

1. Powerset used in up country line have two engines in both sides. Front one is in pull configuration and rear one in push configuration. Combined they produce around 4000 HP which is required to negotiate steep grade in that line. This could be the most powerful train operated in SL.

screen.jpg

Lol.. it says "Current Failure" :sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004:

Very interesting topic.

A few things I've noticed are

1. Bombardier is actually a Canadian company.

2. You still get the old locomotives on the Colombo Kandy route on the intercity (at least you did 2 years ago).

3. I feel sorry that the M9 failed in Sri Lanka. It was a political decision and a feasibility study should have been conducted before the import. Alsthom is a very large and succesful locomotive manufacturer (they make the TGV) but their experience is largely electric locomotives opposed to Diesel these days. Its a pity those locomotives have had their electronic components downgraded. I wonder what safety features the new Chinese power sets have.

4. The power sets are ideally suited to the hill country. There used to be an issue where the engine in front configuration becomes problmatic in damp conditions as the engine starts to lose traction. You don't have that issue with powersets which drive all the wheels and it results in less wear on the rail as well.

3. I feel sorry that the M9 failed in Sri Lanka. It was a political decision and a feasibility study should have been conducted before the import. Alsthom is a very large and succesful locomotive manufacturer (they make the TGV) but their experience is largely electric locomotives opposed to Diesel these days. Its a pity those locomotives have had their electronic components downgraded. I wonder what safety features the new Chinese power sets have.

Thesedays they are using these engines (864 & 866) for Kandy-Matara train, I regularly see this train at Koggala. I read somewhere that Morotuwa University got involved to fix some of the electronic issues.

Different topic :D

There is a saying that " ali balillai, bali balillai epa wenne na"

meaning, you can stare at an elephant for a long time. you won't get bored.

For me, locomotives are same as Ali. I used to stare at them and never bored. Still dreaming to go on a locomotive in hill country. without any "connection" it seems quite impossible.

Very true!

• Like 1

100% True regarding M9,

In fact they removed most these sensors and Deleted (Arthur C Clarke Centre did the changes). as i herd these came with Air-conditioned cabins to safeguard the complex electronics and later they were also removed. and most of the Controls were operated under Windows CE.

not to mention these were specially made for Europe countries, it's so sad either way it was our money , in vain :(. only one or two is in running condition. i recalled one caught fire

not to mention these were specially made for Europe countries, it's so sad either way it was our money , in vain :(. only one or two is in running condition. i recalled one caught fire

One we imported got the Ruston power plant, apart from us Israel and syria use this loco successfully. They're using GM engine as the main power plant.

Class W1 & W2. They were regular for our school train. Very seldom we had M6 & M7 which we liked better than W class because they were faster.

Then there's air-conditioned hitachi train S5 too.

For those who're interested there's a railway museum at Kadugannawa where you actually can discover few engine models together with other Sri Lankan railway memorabilia.

post-11385-0-19331100-1424869893_thumb.j

post-11385-0-13920800-1424869931_thumb.j

Thesedays they are using these engines (864 & 866) for Kandy-Matara train, I regularly see this train at Koggala. I read somewhere that Morotuwa University got involved to fix some of the electronic issues.

If you read the entire thread you would note that the Mortatuwa Universities solution was basically to remove some circuits and take away some functionality.

What they could have done is to improve cooling and retain the functionality.

Shiffer, your photos from top to the bottom contain

Class M4 Canadian diesel-electric locomotive

Class W3 German diesel-hydrlic locomotive

Class S8 Korean -Hyundai ( some Japanese) diesel-electric powerset

Class S11 Indian powerset

Observation saloon of Badulla special train

• Like 1

I can stay the whole day in a train station just to watch the locos rolling by. When I take the intercity express to Kandy I used to arrive at least an hour earlier on the station. Love the feeling when a loco approach the platform.

Also as a kid I used to love the Thomas the tank engine books, anyone have them?

• Like 2

Whoo! One of the breath taking topic.one of the loving subject. Thanks for starting.

Like reckless said i too coming very early to train & watching here & there.

On last 10th when waiting for 6:15 intercity one very old 1950 (cant remind exact) wise roy was there.

Its nt the one which see regulary as tourist train an other one.

Black Hunslet in kandy start working around 5:30 every day...

Intersting Facts - Sand Box

SANDING.jpg

There is a box of sand as in the picture near the wheels of the locomotives.This is helpful to reduce slipping of steel wheels on polished rails by pouring sand between the rails and the wheel and increasing the friction. This has been really helpful on hill country railway because it's raining most of the time and the rails are more slippery and also the huge incline almost makes the climb impossible. A simple solution with a lot of benefits. If you have more information , pleas add.

Adey that looks quite fancy - almost looked foreign with that many white folk around lol :D

it is it is ;) Soundproof, foot rests, plug points for your laptops and all, cup holders, tables. This is fancy :D

it is it is ;) Soundproof, foot rests, plug points for your laptops and all, cup holders, tables. This is fancy :D

Whats the price per head? The Rajadhani and Expo got them fancy items too. But most people seems prefer to travel on the 1st class coach.

Edited by Reckless