• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Shifting While In Low Range

flyboy320

I assume you're in mud? I'm not 100% certain but I don't think there's an issue with it. If you're red-lining in 4L on 1st, I don't see why you shouldn't shift up if you need more tyre speed. Any higher and you might as well be in 4H I guess.

There are several members here who have clocked in more time offroad than I have that may be able to give you a definite answer.

You can definitely shift up to any gear you like, as long as you are using low range where it is supposed to be used. Which surfaces to use 4L depend mostly on the design of the gearbox/transfer box/drive-train, but generally, it`s ok to be in 4L as long as you are not driving on a hard surface like tarmac.

1st gear in 4Low is not very useful most of the time (unless you are pulling a very heavy load need to get going from a standstill, etc..), you will most probably be using 2nd and 3rd in 4L during normal 4WDriving.

well either mud or sand what im wondering , is there any negative impact on the transmission in doing so.. i knw running in low range for a long time can screw up ur trans..but i havent really tried shifting while i was in lowrange

I think the negative effect will be on the engine if you keep it at the red line too often. So if that is the case its advisable to shift up as the engine probably has enough torque to pull on a higher gear.