• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Ld20 Ii Or Ld20 Ii T

Nissan cdj

Hi Guys,

I have got a Nissan Vanette C22 Van which has the LD20 II Non Turbo Engine. Now It seems kinda Under compression and I Thought of a Engine Swap to Nissan Vanette LD20 II Turbo (OEM) engine. So prior doing this I thought of sharing this with you guys and gain some expertise info such as pros and cons If I am going for the Turbo (OEM) engine. And Majority used to say Turbo is fuel efficient and I have got no Idea and so many myths when it comes to turbo ? Therefore please be kind on this matter and clarify me the above mentioned particulars.

Thanks in Advance,

Nissan CDJ

Edited by Nissan cdj

Hi Guys,

I have got a Nissan Vanette C22 Van which has the LD20 II Non Turbo Engine. Now It seems kinda Under compression and I Thought of a Engine Swap to Nissan Vanette LD20 II Turbo (OEM) engine. So prior doing this I thought of sharing this with you guys and gain some expertise info such as pros and cons If I am going for the Turbo (OEM) engine. And Majority used to say Turbo is fuel efficient and I have got no Idea and so many myths when it comes to turbo ? Therefore please be kind on this matter and clarify me the above mentioned particulars.

Thanks in Advance,

Nissan CDJ

A turbo is about getting more power out of a smaller engine, so compared to the amount of power it generates, you could claim its fuel efficient but compared to the non turbo version, if the non turbo was not under powered you would notice a slight decrease in fuel economy.

That is because under boost you do need to inject a bit more fuel to aid combustion. Everything is relative.

Also note that you will need to source an intercooler and if necessary the radiator from the turbo version (if radiators are different). If your engine is electronically controlled you will need the wiring harness and ECU as well.

well said The Don. Generally that's true

A turbo is about getting more power out of a smaller engine, so compared to the amount of power it generates, you could claim its fuel efficient but compared to the non turbo version, if the non turbo was not under powered you would notice a slight decrease in fuel economy.

That is because under boost you do need to inject a bit more fuel to aid combustion. Everything is relative.

Also note that you will need to source an intercooler and if necessary the radiator from the turbo version (if radiators are different). If your engine is electronically controlled you will need the wiring harness and ECU as well.

but still I've heard many of LD20 II Turbo users used to say that the turbo version is more fuel efficient but to be honest I haven't experienced it personally, Therefore It would be great If there's any one who uses LD20 IIT engine or else a 2C Turbo engine out there to know how the things work ?

Doesn't he also need to get a new exhaust? Bigger one to match the exhaust manifold found on the turbo engine?

Doesn't he also need to get a new exhaust? Bigger one to match the exhaust manifold found on the turbo engine?

Thankfully most engines sent to SL comes with the exhaust manifold and piping for the turbo. The actual exhaust itself is the same though the piping will have to be adjusted to fit the turbo rather than the exhaust manufold.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Providentially the engine mounts of the two engines are of the same :).

Regarding the exhaust manifolds; the Normal LD20-ii has a "Y" shaped silencer manifold (Pic 2 and 3). The Turbo version of the LD20-ii has a single pipe manifold with a triangular flange. (Pic 1). Please don't forget to ask your engine supplier for the silencer manifold and the iron nuts that too should also be provided with the engine (in case the originals are damaged or as a future spare.....). The silencer manifold swap job is not a serious one as a good welder would take just a few minutes.

Go for the turbo as the Turbo engine sucks in more air that's what makes it fuel efficient.

Good luck with the swap and please do keep us informed. :popkorn:

post-65378-0-15539200-1426509859_thumb.j

post-65378-0-81108800-1426510001_thumb.j

post-65378-0-38904100-1426510171_thumb.j

Edited by Splat

I could not upload these before as something went wrong. so here's pic B and C of the LD20-ii Turbo silencer manifold with the triangular shaped flange and the single pipe (related to pic A above). I hope these pitchers help. tc :)

post-65378-0-63332300-1426563266_thumb.j

post-65378-0-36885500-1426563356_thumb.j

Edited by Splat

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...