• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying An Entry Level Car

ninath

Question

Dear All,

Help me for selecting a good car between 1.5M and 2.0M. I am planning to buy my first car. I saw few unregistered cars like Maruti alto 800, Hyundai eon and registered used cars like viva elite, maruti a-star, estilo, wagon r, Nissan k12, micro panda etc.. in this price range. I like hatchbacks.

24 answers to this question

Dear All,

Help me for selecting a good car between 1.5M and 2.0M. I am planning to buy my first car. I saw few unregistered cars like Maruti alto 800, Hyundai eon and registered used cars like viva elite, maruti a-star, estilo, wagon r, Nissan k12, micro panda etc.. in this price range. I like hatchbacks.

The best newish car in that price range is the Viva Elite. If you want brand new you can pay less and buy a Maruti Alto.

If you can go a little above 2 million the Lancer CS1 comes within reach and you might be able to get a 2007+ model.

Since this is your first car, I would suggest going for

1. Relatively new car -such as the viva elite as don suggested,

Or

2. Car with proven reliability -AK12 march, suzuki ignis/swift, toyota vitz

Indian alto is also reliable because its a simple vehicle but u have to compromise a lot on comfort

If I was in your position, I would go for a viva elite. If you keep looking, you might find a manual one for 1.5. Another good car I always suggest is Kelisa. Dont be fooled by its looks. Its very good on fuel, very reliable, fun to drive and is body is stronger than the viva.

Try to avoid chinese cars, unless they are brand new and u dont plan to keep it more than three years. Avoid marutis other than alto.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

My vote -swift or kelisa. Very easy to drive. You'll find lot of first time drivers using them, especially the swift

Having driven both these vehicles quite a lot - particularly the kelisa i recomend both.

The good thing is both these are uncomplicated cars. It's important to "understand" your car and what it is saying to you and these two are fairly easy to "understand" and maintain.

Kelisa gives better fuel economy and a more exciting ride but the swift is quite durable and has decent amount of space for a hatch.

Both these are close to 10 Years old - specially the swift but these cars age nicely and they don't start to disintegrate like chinese/indian vehicles do.

• Like 1

Fuel economy - good. Ground clearance is bad. Everything else is average.

100% Agree on both. When fully loaded, the ground clearance is bit low and you need to be cautious when you run over small humps and pits on the road. After sometimes it'll be embedded to your driving pattern. My dad busted front bumper clips within first two months :)

Being a car with automatic transmission, it perform decently while achieving good fuel economy.

+1 on Crosswind's suggestion about the Kelisa. It is quite under-rated. While the Starlet is a great car, people tend to ask a little more money for them than their worth isn't it?

A very good, non modified car can find for a reasonable price. and plenty of spares. car is not very sophisticated so that easy to fix.

If looking for a Vitz, I think with the mentioned budget only 1000 cc will be available. That too is a great car ( and the successor of starlet )

Edited by bycap
  • Like 1

can we find spares for kelisa?

Yes you can. In Panchikawatta, there's Janatha Motors who has been stocking Kelisa spares for a long time. Last week when I went to Panchi, I saw few more "Perodua" boards on shops, which means you will find parts in more places now. Also there's Auto park in Kalubowila which advertises regularly on ######.

In delkanda area, there's a shop opposite Japan Lanka, which has loads of Daihatsu spares. Most Daihatsu spares fit kelisa without issues. Even doors, bumpers, windscreen from Daihatsu Mira fits Kelisa perfectly. Japan Lanka themselves maintain Daihatsu spares. Power Auto Lamp in Gamsaba Junction has head and tail lights.

I think Suzuki Japanese(Alto 8th generation) is one of best entry level hatch back car.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Alto)

Suzuki Japanese Alto 2015(Chassis-HA36S).One of Kei car

Most fuel efficient non hybrid petrol car in the world.

JC08 fuel consumption is 37km/L for 2WD CVT.(http://www.suzuki.co.jp/car/alto/) (Open this link with Google chrome.It translates most of Japanese to English)

L grade 2WD CVT car is Rs 2.4 M with tax.(if you personally import) If you like to buy F grade(lowest grade)2WD AGS (auto gear shift transmission) or 2WD MT(manual transmission),price will be less than 2.4 M.But fuel consumption is lower than 2WD CVT(continuously variable transmission) JC08 fuel consumption is 37km/L for 29.6km/L for 2WD AGS and 27.2km/L for 2WD MT

post-70733-0-86367800-1438673615_thumb.j

• Like 1