• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suzuki Escudo/vitara Turbo Diesel

Cyclist

Hi Guys,

I came across a Suzuki Escudo/Vitara Turbo Diesel - Auto Gear part time 4WD SUV ( 65-6XXX) on a car sale and Im interested to purchase it.

Main concerns are Safety , diesel , reliability and utility. The dealer is asking 1.9M . I currently drive a Nissan Vanette C22 DX.

After sale value is not a concern. But reliability is a top priority.

I did a bit of a research on this model and found exactly the same looking vehicle in AL for sale too.

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=175478

The model number specified on the AL ad is TD31W.

The specimen I came across has the model number TJ31W which I cant find enough information about it online.

1. Can any one shed some light on the difference in these two models

2. and common issues and points to check before purchase these type of vehicles.

Appreciate your help a lot.

post-47735-0-28664200-1424095668_thumb.j

post-47735-0-04268300-1424095702_thumb.j

Edited by Cyclist

The Mazda Proceed (Levante) and the Escudo used to be the same car.

TD31 was the Suzuki ESCUDO and the the TJ31 was what SUZUKI gave Mazda (Proceed Levante). They both have the same engine, gearbox, body panels, etc...The suspension was different.

The engine was made by Mazda and has Mazda's RF engine (well RF-T since it came with a Turbo). The TD31's RF-T was intercooled but for some reason the TJ31 RF-T was non-intercooled (at least that is what I always thought....you might want to look it up). The first iteration of the RF engine is known for head cracks because of its alloy construct; but since you are looking at a 90s model that should be of no concern to you (although I don't know of any other issues that might be present)

EDIT: Oh yeah...that means some one took off all the badges that says Mazda in this car ;) and swapped it with Suzuki badges or just left it blank :)

Edited by iRage
  • Like 3

I thought the suspension on the Mazda was more primitive (beam axle) and basic than the Suzuki (trailing arms). So the Mazda should have had a more bumpier ride :D

Thanks mate, I have givenup on the vehicle after a close inspection and discussion with few people who used this model before,

dealer says 1. it does 15 km per liter :speechless-smiley-004: - runs when it smells diesel - ( yes - he actually told this ) , 2. no turbo ( he might thought this is a plus point ) , 3. original paint ,

I knew these 3 were lies as soon as he told me, so no point believing the rest of the story.

the sales mucker might have seen me like a pony tailed Chinese since I inquired about the vehicle like some one doesn't know a thing about vehicles lol , luckily I knew few people who does and thanks iRage for the clarification on model numbers. thats important info. Thanks again.

We have a diesel 1998 Suzuki Escudo (TD32W) with a A/T. Also known as the 1st gen Grand Vitrara.

What iRange said about the vitara/escudo/proceed is pretty comprehensive. I cant comment on the suspension etc but fuel consumption should be around the same. I can tell you that it will NOT give you 15kmpl. We get something between 8-11 in Colombo and around 12-13 out of town. The automatic transmission is a bit sluggish as expected but nothing to cry over.

Parts for the older model might be a bit harder to find, but cant be impossible. Overall a decent vehicle I would say.The model you are looking at (and the early GVs) became popular with the 1999-2000 gov permits. Hence the disproportionate number of these models.