• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Programmed Key Or Not

Madhawa Habarakada

Question

I bought a Honda Fit Aria (2006) after discussing here, in November 2014.

I'm having a little problem about the key.

I only received one key from the seller. He only had only one.

The key has remote lock and unlock. (Not auto lock unlock when in proximity)

So, I wanted to have another spare key as it's risky to have only one.

I went to a local key cutter and carved a key.

it could lock/unlock all the doors, but it could not at least rotate inside the ignition key barrel.

So, finally he asked whether the key is programmed or not.

I'm too not sure on that.

So, how can I find out if my key is programmed or not?

if a duplicate key cannot be made like that, how can I get a duplicate key for my car???

Thanks very much.

P.S.: Pl. refer the photo of the key.

post-69164-0-87937000-1423843406_thumb.j

7 answers to this question

Maybe your car comes with a factory-fitted immobilizer. If that is the case, they provide a keytag with a number carved on it, or, your driver's instruction manual should state a unique "key number" or such. Can't remember exactly. Request a new key from stafford motors stating that unique number. They should be able to bring down a spare key for you.

• Like 1

Hmm. The sad thing is, I did not received such things through the seller. :( a hand book / tag / etc)

If that the case, how can I find that number?

And I read in the forum that, some suppliers hide the extra key inside the car. If there's another key hidden inside the car, where that may be located?

Some users cars only come with one key, as thats all they were supplied with by the first owner in Japan when the car was handed into an auction house. Sometimes things like manuals get stolen.

There is a unique number on the key itself. Its embossed in metal and can be used to get a duplicate. But your agent can order one in using your VIN number. Its not cheap but the key will be an original replacement from the factory which the agent will program to the car in SL.

Oh is that so? I'll look for any codes anywhere on the car. But there's nothing on the key other than the letter "H". (Look at the photo)

So, if you have an idea, how much will it roughly cost to get a duplicate key from SM?

Around 20K I recon. There are places out who can do it for about 10-15K

I found a guy through a friend, who could do it for 10K. (He will reduce the price a little).

And this type of keys are called as "Transponder Key" as per my friend.

But there's no code anywhere as you guys said. :( I didn't still contacted him, will check and anything interesting came out, will let you guys also know.

Thanks.