• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fog Light Bulb

akboselk

wow. anyways

i assume its a H3 Bulb. You can buy a pair for around 1000 bucks in any car part shop in kandy.. Try AutoSmart in King street or janatha motors

35W is usless for a fog lamp though. Whats the vehicle?

wow. anyways

i assume its a H3 Bulb. You can buy a pair for around 1000 bucks in any car part shop in kandy.. Try AutoSmart in King street or janatha motors

35W is usless for a fog lamp though. Whats the vehicle?

Thanks for the respond

It is Suzuki Swift

Thanks for the respond

It is Suzuki Swift

For fog Lights Normally the wattage is either 53W 55W. you could use reputed brand like Osram or Philips. saw some A-holes using HIDs on fog housings, it will scatter the light output and blind oncoming folks.

Thanks for the respond

It is Suzuki Swift

Swift has a glass fog lamp if i am not mistaken. So you will be fine with a 55W bulb.

The Aerio has the same fog lamp and it comes with 55W. Think yours should be 55W too

And like Ruslan said try to find a pair of Osram or Phillips or atleast a Koito pair of bulbs

Get those yellow fog lamps, they are very useful when driving during raining

Yep, Im using Osram Fogbreakers. got it down from eBay. like Magnum said, visibility is far better than those white output bulbs during harsh weather like Rain or Misty conditions.

Edited by Ruslan

Yep, Im using Osram Fogbreakers. got it down from eBay. like Magnum said, visibility is far better than those white output bulbs during harsh weather like Rain or Misty conditions.

I cant remember what brand I got but yes they do make a big difference when driving in rain with them turned on

On the topic of HID lights, anyone who uses HID above 4300K for fog lamps has completely missed the whole point of 'fog' lamps INMO :P

Hi

I am searchning for Fog light Bulb ( 35 W - halogen ) and A*W quoted something around Rs. 2200/-

is this the market price for fog light bulb or it overpriced ?

Any place around kandy to purchase it ?

Thanks

As Schiffer said you can get a pair for Rs 1000 from car parts shops...I fixed a pair to my wife's Chevrolet Cruze for just 900 bucks from Kurunegala..I think for a swift a same kind of Fog light bulb suits. If you go for the company, naturally it's over priced...

As Schiffer said you can get a pair for Rs 1000 from car parts shops...I fixed a pair to my wife's Chevrolet Cruze for just 900 bucks from Kurunegala..I think for a swift a same kind of Fog light bulb suits. If you go for the company, naturally it's over priced...

HI

My chevy cruze doesn't have fog lights but the place is covered by plastic cups..dont know whether the wiring is there..can I fix a fog light pair for this..

Cheers!!

Sri

Edited by SREE

HI

My chevy cruze doesn't have fog lights but the place is covered by plastic cups..dont know whether the wiring is there..can I fix a fog light pair for this..

Cheers!!

Sri

Yes you can. Only trouble is you need to find an original pair. Or else it will stick out like a cancerous growth.

HI

Cheers!!

Sri

wiring should be there mate...even our one didn't have it...we fixed it from a car parts selling place...there is a place reserved for fog lamp switch in the dash board near the A/C switch.

wiring should be there mate...even our one didn't have it...we fixed it from a car parts selling place...there is a place reserved for fog lamp switch in the dash board near the A/C switch.
Yes you can. Only trouble is you need to find an original pair. Or else it will stick out like a cancerous growth.

thank u the info..I will check it..

• 1 year later...

First of all, I'm sorry about bumping an old thread. I thought I'd ask my question here instead of opening a new thread since the question is about fog lights.

The fog light bulbs I've been installing recently end up bursting after about 2 months of use. I purchased the car recently (about 6 months back) and only one fog light was working at the time, the bulb was H3 rated at 12V 55W, so I replaced it with some chinese H3 bulb and it ended bursting within a week.

Then I purchased a brand named "Narva" and replaced both the fog lights, the dealer told me they were Japanese. However another bulb has burst after about 2 months of use. The problem is that the fog light housing gets really hot which I think is causing the bulbs to burst. Yes, they "burst" not "burn", the glass of the bulb actually cracks into pieces and only the filament is left.

Its not possible to keep a finger on the housing for long even on a cold evening, the housing is made out of plastic.

Ta61zKM.jpg

I checked the manual as well and it didn't have any rated wattage for the fog lamps, so my options at the moment are:

01. Use H3 bulbs rated 35W - I doubt I'll find them here, so might have to get them down from eBay.

02. Use H3 bulbs rated 55W from a reputed brand like Philips or Osram.

03. Use LED H3 bulbs.

I'm a DIYer and I love to work on my car, but the problem is replacing the fog lamp is somewhat time consuming, you have to take the entire front bumper out, removing the number plate etc. Oh, did I mention that the car is a Suzuki Maruti Zen 2005?

Can someone shed some light into this? Any help would be appreciated :)

Edited by maxxarox

Damn! Something I didn't think of, is there a way to be sure? Will moisture be visible or do I have to fill the housing with water and check?

Also is the the fog lamp housing getting extremely hot considered normal?

Edited by maxxarox

Any chance that your fog light housing is leaking water in? A drop of water on a very hot bulb can cause it to burst.
Damn! Something I didn't think of, is there a way to be sure? Will moisture be visible or do I have to fill the housing with water and check?

However, in my previous car, my right fog light were leaky and water went in..it had moist visible too after a wash or rain... they didnt burst out though...

@maxxarox - Do you touch the bulb with bare hands while installing? If so it leaves finger marks on the outer casing and results in uneven heating of the glass envelop, eventually leading to premature cracking. This is just another possibility in addition to things mentioned above.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 3

Visual inspection. Check if the dust boot is missing/fallen off. Moisture on the lens depends on how much water entered the housing. As for filling the housing with water - don't do it as there might be metal components inside which might start to corrode if you fill with water.

However, in my previous car, my right fog light were leaky and water went in..it had moist visible too after a wash or rain... they didnt burst out though...

A bulb would burst if it's already switched on and the globe is extremely hot when water splashes on it. In OP's case, it might be while the car is running with lights on and when some water on the road splashes into the housing. Possible if the opening behind the reflector (where the bulb goes in) is not sealed properly.

@maxxarox - Do you touch the bulb with bare hands while installing? If so it leaves finger marks on the outer casing and results in uneven heating of the glass envelop, eventually leading to premature cracking. This is just another possibility in addition to things mentioned above.

Very valid point!

Visual inspection. Check if the dust boot is missing/fallen off. Moisture on the lens depends on how much water entered the housing. As for filling the housing with water - don't do it as there might be metal components inside which might start to corrode if you fill with water.

A bulb would burst if it's already switched on and the globe is extremely hot when water splashes on it. In OP's case, it might be while the car is running with lights on and when some water on the road splashes into the housing. Possible if the opening behind the reflector (where the bulb goes in) is not sealed properly.

Very valid point!

Thanks a lot for the helpful inputs Rumesh and Davy! Yes, I was careful to keep my dirty hands off the bulb lens and the dust boot is perfectly sealed, no signs of moisture or water entering the the lamp housing either. So my guess is that the extreme heat is causing the bulbs to burst.

I replaced the bulb today and it didn't work, the contacts were heavily corroded! Cleaned them with vinegar while brushing with a wire brush and then washed the contacts off with hot water carefully.

Left the bulbs on continously for about 7-8 hours and the bulbs didn't fail, but the housing does get really hot from the outside as usual. Hopefully these will last for a while, fingers crossed. I'll keep you guys posted on any updates, thanks for the help again :)

xZJV1vC.jpg