• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying Nissan Leaf

RRokz

Yesterday in the Colombo motor show some guy with a leaf told me that it has a range of 170-190km and charging time of 4.5 hours. When I asked him if the minimum range of 170km is achieved in any driving pattern, he was not sure..

Edited by sasika

250kW solar panel???? It should be '250W' not '250kW'.

For installing a Solar Net Metering System,

(1) You have to decide how many units (1unit = 1kWh) you need to generate per month.

Usually 1 solar panel of 250W generates around 27 - 30 units (kWh) per month

(2) To obtain required number of units , how many solar panels you need?

(3) To fix that number of solar panels, do you have enough space on your roof , without shading.

(4) Suitable inverter capacity.

There are number of parameters to check before you go for a Solar Net Metering System. Basically it is worth if you use more than 180 - 200 units per month.

True. To gain a benefit from a net metering system you should be a heavy consumer. probably have AC, Hot water etc.

Then this is what happens actually.

You have a huge bill because of the luxury

Install a net metering systems

Light bill is reduced and you are happy.

and then think why not to install few other AC machines ?

again your bill goes up.

:D :D

Yesterday in the Colombo motor show some guy with a leaf told me that it has a range of 170-190km and charging time of 4.5 hours. When I asked him if the minimum range of 170km is achieved in any driving pattern, he was not sure..

Heard Nissan is developing Leaf to travel more than 400 kms. is it available now ?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="bycap" data-cid="273383" data-time="1425270635"><p>

Heard Nissan is developing Leaf to travel more than 400 kms. is it available now ? </p></blockquote>

I don't think so.. Would be useful if the charging times don't go up over 6 hours at least..

The leaf is only practical in countries where:

1. Mass produced electricity costs are reasonable as the usage goes up (In SL the costs go up exponentially as the usage goes up).

2. There are tax incentives to promote their use (Like in the UK you don't pay road tax nor do you pay the London congestion charge which is a £200+ saving per month)

3. Does not need to use Air Conditioning all the time as it saps the battery power

Else the initial acquisition cost, loss of some practical freedoms due to the lack of a good charging infrastructure, the time it takes to charge plus long term maintenance does not make sense

Personally I'm more inclined to go with what this ozzie chap says

My friend has one.

She said with the AC on it only does between 90-100km.

She says the hardest part is charging it, as it is time consuming.

Someone trying to sell a car.

This is what I learned so far about Leaf's mileage range:

Leaf 2011 – Miles per full charge 106 City / 92 Hwy

(170 Km / 148 Km )

Leaf 2012 - Miles per full charge 106 City / 92 Hwy

(170 Km / 148 Km )

Leaf 2013- Miles per full charge 129 City / 102 Hwy

( 207 Km / 164 Km )

Leaf 2014 - Miles per full charge 129 City / 102 Hwy

( 207 Km / 164 Km )

Leaf 2015 - Miles per full charge 126 City / 101 Hwy

( 202 Km / 162 Km )

But in real life they say the battery should not charge beyond 80% and not to go less than 20% when using the car as a good charging practice. Technically we are getting only 60 % of the battery charge usable after a full charge if we're following so called good practice.

Therefore in real life the range is as follows:

2011 : 63 – 55 miles (101 – 88 km)

2012 : 63 – 55 miles (101 – 88 km)

2013 : 77 – 61 miles (123 – 98 km)

2014 : 77 – 61 miles (123 – 98 km)

2015 : 75 – 60 miles (120 – 96 km)

From 2011 to 2015(up to now) Nissan uses the same 24 kWh lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery and a new one can be replaced in any version. They have plans to increase the actual range in future (Estimated in 2017) to 150 Miles (241 km) increasing the battery capacity from 24 kWh to 42 kWh. Nissan has to decide the future battery is going to be in different size or same size so that it can be fitted also with existing Leaf models.

This is what I learned so far about Leaf's mileage range:
Leaf 2011 – Miles per full charge 106 City / 92 Hwy
(170 Km / 148 Km )
Leaf 2012 - Miles per full charge 106 City / 92 Hwy
(170 Km / 148 Km )
Leaf 2013- Miles per full charge 129 City / 102 Hwy
( 207 Km / 164 Km )
Leaf 2014 - Miles per full charge 129 City / 102 Hwy
( 207 Km / 164 Km )
Leaf 2015 - Miles per full charge 126 City / 101 Hwy
( 202 Km / 162 Km )
But in real life they say the battery should not charge beyond 80% and not to go less than 20% when using the car as a good charging practice. Technically we are getting only 60 % of the battery charge usable after a full charge if we're following so called good practice.
Therefore in real life the range is as follows:
2011 : 63 – 55 miles (101 – 88 km)
2012 : 63 – 55 miles (101 – 88 km)
2013 : 77 – 61 miles (123 – 98 km)
2014 : 77 – 61 miles (123 – 98 km)
2015 : 75 – 60 miles (120 – 96 km)
From 2011 to 2015(up to now) Nissan uses the same 24 kWh lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery and a new one can be replaced in any version. They have plans to increase the actual range in future (Estimated in 2017) to 150 Miles (241 km) increasing the battery capacity from 24 kWh to 42 kWh. Nissan has to decide the future battery is going to be in different size or same size so that it can be fitted also with existing Leaf models.

Are you quoting manufacturer figures or do you own a Leaf in Sri Lanka and these are actual figures you have achieved?

Are you quoting manufacturer figures or do you own a Leaf in Sri Lanka and these are actual figures you have achieved?

I am planing to buy a leaf and these information are collected from manufacturer's site and owner's reviews around the world.

Some of the sources:

http://www.autoblog.com/buy/2015-Nissan-LEAF/

http://www.plugincars.com/nissan-plans-improved-leaf-ev-2017-129747.html

http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/nissan_leaf_2015#mainReview

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/ratings-reviews

Great. I can honestly say NONE of them would apply directly to Sri Lanka. If you want actual information about the feasibility of the Leaf in Sri Lanka, well then you are in the right place.

Two issues.

1. The car saps more power when the air conditioning and other electrics are on, and in SL AC is always on. This bring down the range significantly

2. The economy aspect doesn't quite work because of tired charges for mass produced electricity, meaning the more you use the more you pay (usually its the reverse).

Great. I can honestly say NONE of them would apply directly to Sri Lanka. If you want actual information about the feasibility of the Leaf in Sri Lanka, well then you are in the right place.

Two issues.

1. The car saps more power when the air conditioning and other electrics are on, and in SL AC is always on. This bring down the range significantly

2. The economy aspect doesn't quite work because of tired charges for mass produced electricity, meaning the more you use the more you pay (usually its the reverse).

So it seems actual range goes well bellow what I expected. So could you please share with us the actual range you are getting from your own Leaf ? BTW what are you referring to other electrics in your post ? And what is your Leaf's year ? For how long u hv been using it ?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SSE" data-cid="273800" data-time="1425660155"><p>

<br />

So it seems actual range goes well bellow what I expected. So could you please share with us the actual range you are getting from your own Leaf ? BTW what are you referring to other electrics in your post ? And what is your Leaf's year ? For how long u hv been using it ?</p></blockquote>

AFAIK don doesn't own a leaf. And his explanation is purely based on facts. And those facts are very plausible.

So it seems actual range goes well bellow what I expected. So could you please share with us the actual range you are getting from your own Leaf ? BTW what are you referring to other electrics in your post ? And what is your Leaf's year ? For how long u hv been using it ?
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SSE" data-cid="273800" data-time="1425660155"><p>

<br />

So it seems actual range goes well bellow what I expected. So could you please share with us the actual range you are getting from your own Leaf ? BTW what are you referring to other electrics in your post ? And what is your Leaf's year ? For how long u hv been using it ?</p></blockquote>

AFAIK don doesn't own a leaf. And his explanation is purely based on facts. And those facts are very plausible.

Yeah thats correct. I don't own a leaf. My commentry is based on facts I've learned on this forum based on feedback on real owners and an episode of Top Gear where they put the Leaf to test (They came up with the reasoning on AC and other components as the test was done on a hot summers day).

If you search the forum you will see owners who have provided feedback on their electricity bills after charging these cars.

In reality its not the range that has become an issue, as most Leaf owners bought them to run around Colombo. But the tiered electricity charging which has made them more expensive than equivelant petrol vehicles to run.

Electric cars are certainly the future, but infrastructure, battery technology and more importantly Government policy has some way to go.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kush" data-cid="273807" data-time="1425692952"><p>

I think the government policy is in the right track with duty only at 5% when others have to pay 92% +</p></blockquote>

But it still costs 2.8mil +

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kush" data-cid="273807" data-time="1425692952"><p>

I think the government policy is in the right track with duty only at 5% when others have to pay 92% +</p></blockquote>

But it still costs 2.8mil +

yes because they are expensive to manufacture, even the hybrids, given a uniform duty structure no body will be interested to buy them.

• Like 1

Heard E.V Lanka requesting potential public to invest in Charging Points [1.6 million each] plus the government is going to assist in the same infrastructure.

Though it's gonna take sometime and survive doubts/fears, certainly good news for electric-heads and potential future buyers.

:angel-smiley-026:

• 1 month later...