• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Good Tyre Brand For My Alto Car (145 80 12R)

sahan84

Please suggest good tyre brands for my Alto car.Currently it has MRF orginal tyres done 50K Kms. front tyres are still OK.rear tyres are worn out.

As per my knowledge there is no more MRF car Tyre dealer in Sri Lanka.What whould be next best tyre.

You can't compare MRF with Japanese makes I mentioned previously....:) They are far superior and better quality than MRF brand....:) You can't compare these with the MRF junk....:)

To be honest, most tyres do the job they are supposed to. The softer compound tyres are more comfortable and wear off faster while the harder ones are a bit bumpier.

If you are on a budget I suggest Ceat. Perfectly acceptable for an Alto with the rough road suspension and proudly made in Sri Lanka too.

Next up will be GT, but from the budget brands I prefer Maxxis.

I think its a bit overkill to replace tyres of an Alto with Made in Japan tyres, as its a car to eat up miles on a budget and a Made in Japan tyre is fairly close to 20K a piece.

• 2 weeks later...
Please suggest good tyre brands for my Alto car.Currently it has MRF orginal tyres done 50K Kms. front tyres are still OK.rear tyres are worn out.

As per my knowledge there is no more MRF car Tyre dealer in Sri Lanka.What whould be next best tyre.

Good & Echonomical Tyre brand is MAXXIS

You can go for Nankang Taiwan not the Chinese one and they do have your Tyre size, Good price and It is Reliable as well.

My Ford Focus runs on a set of "Kinforest" tyres and the Kia runs on a set of "Deruibo" tyres. Both are Made in China of course. I honestly didn't find them to be significantly worse than any of those Japanese, Korean or Taiwanese tyres. In fact, the Kinforest set is performing better in Sri Lankan climate than German-made Continental tyres. I have driven both the cars in all weather conditions and all terrains without any serious problem. So I honestly don't know if its a right idea to pay a premium for brand and country of origin.

• Like 1

My Ford Focus runs on a set of "Kinforest" tyres and the Kia runs on a set of "Deruibo" tyres. Both are Made in China of course. I honestly didn't find them to be significantly worse than any of those Japanese, Korean or Taiwanese tyres. In fact, the Kinforest set is performing better in Sri Lankan climate than German-made Continental tyres. I have driven both the cars in all weather conditions and all terrains without any serious problem. So I honestly don't know if its a right idea to pay a premium for brand and country of origin.

Actually Crosswind, this was proven in a 5th gear tyre test. The premium tyres didn't perform that much better than the budget brands. What was more important was that you had enough thread left.

Of course there are differences in compound, so the softer ones wear quicker but more comfortable while the harder ones wear slower but bumpier. There are also specially formulated eco tyres which offer lower resistance but less grip. But all in all Chinese, Indian Sri Lankan tyres will all get the job done!

To be honest, most tyres do the job they are supposed to. The softer compound tyres are more comfortable and wear off faster while the harder ones are a bit bumpier.

If you are on a budget I suggest Ceat. Perfectly acceptable for an Alto with the rough road suspension and proudly made in Sri Lanka too.

Next up will be GT, but from the budget brands I prefer Maxxis.

I think its a bit overkill to replace tyres of an Alto with Made in Japan tyres, as its a car to eat up miles on a budget and a Made in Japan tyre is fairly close to 20K a piece.

yes go for CEAT good on roads in colombo accept any break situation and stop where u want it to be. but on highway noise like Maduruwo. recently car went like mad in Haputale in mist on a rainy day. may be its my driving :sad-smiley-058: not CEAT . Did more than 7000Km with new tyres still like new. used GT , Kumuhu for all my wagons from 2003 all done after 10,000 Km :sad-smiley-066: so rob a bank or go for CEAT simple.

yes go for CEAT good on roads in colombo accept any break situation and stop where u want it to be. but on highway noise like Maduruwo. recently car went like mad in Haputale in mist on a rainy day. may be its my driving :sad-smiley-058: not CEAT . Did more than 7000Km with new tyres still like new. used GT , Kumuhu for all my wagons from 2003 all done after 10,000 Km :sad-smiley-066: so rob a bank or go for CEAT simple.

CEAT is made for a certain market where durability is the key selling point. If you use your vehicle for commercial purposes, that is your main priority. But I can tell you one thing, its a lot better to use CEAT rather than used tyres.

Plus lets not knock the brand. CEAT is essentially Kelani tyres, and I always feel happy when I see Made in Sri Lanka on something. I have moments of nostalgia all the time when I go to the bicycle tyres section of a shop called Halfords and see DSI and Made in Sri Lanka :) I'd use CEAT on my cars, but I need the grip and don't care about durability.

read this

http://elakiri.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17863580#post17863580

• 7 months later...

Hi,

You are lucky that you could use MRF original tyres till 50000kms. I've only done 25000kms by my Alto and in the last week found that the steel cord of front right tyre is broken and comes out to the surface. So will have to change tyres. I'd like to know what is the brand you selected to replace MRF? and you replaced again with 145/80 or a one with higher diameter? I wish to replace my tyres with 165/80 or 155/80 and would like to know your idea?

Thanks