• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Carina Gt

nsiva

Question

Hi guys,

One of my friends is looking to buy a Toyota Carina GT YOM - 1999/2000. His priority is finding a reliable car within a budget of 2 mill Rs. He has inspected few cars too. But someone has advised him not to buy GT version (a high spec version which I recommended him actually). The reason told was the reconditioned/spare parts availability.

So, is it really difficult to find parts for that particular model? For eg. Distributor parts/ timing belt/ oil filters/ gaskets etc.

if someone has or had this car, it would be much better.

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice..

16 answers to this question

A lot of the body parts are the same between the GT and the normal Carina and so are many other components.

The engine is usually the 4A GE, which is highly desirable putting out 165PS. Though not as easy to find as other Toyota engines, I've never heard of anybody not being able to find parts, and Toyota Lanka certainly carried entire rebuild kits when necessary. I don't think its anything to worry about.

The only thing is you need to find a car in good nick that has not been abused by boy racers and modified to a point it affects its reliability. Find an unmolested car and you have a really good motor.

I really cannot comment on the parts availability for a 4A-GE in Sri Lanka but in Japan there are plenty of parts both from Toyota and other brands, so if your friend starves without parts you can always get them down from Japan. Also, there are plenty of 4A-GEs being put in quite a few cars by enthusiasts, ricers, etc...so I certainly most of these tuning shops might also be able to help if worst comes to worst.

Like The Don said finding a good unit might be tough. I've seen several Carina and Corolla GTs but all of them were completely hacked or not taken care of but were asking premium prices. The only decent advert I came across was Muditha's Carina GT <see his build thread> but I believe he has sold it by now.

I'd say some specific parts are hard to come by and the agents don't stock oil filters for the 4AGE Black Top for some reason. VIC is readily available. Time belt parts (Belt/Pulley/Tensioner) were all available last time I replaced them. For the clutch, the disc and throwout bearing were there but had to wait for Toyota to get down the pressure plate. Distributor Cap/Rotor/Spark Plug Cables agents asking insane prices for them. AMAYAMA is your friend. Also check the VVT pulley for ticking noises/oil leaks. That pulley isn't cheap!

So i would say there is a considerable lack of spares.

Well..seems like apart from general shared components like bearings, etc...you can't just walk up to any random parts shop and expect to find a GT/4A-GE specific part as you would with a normal Carina or Corolla, but they are attainable (perhaps at a premium price).

Then again, depending on how much of a car head your friend is the slight inconvenience might be worth it compared to a normal Carina

When the engine in your car is not common, you have to evolve ways of finding parts to keep it going. As somebody said, Amayama, foreign part suppliers, ebay quickly become your friend.

Even my car has a slightly rare engine called the 4G91. I've sourced parts from as far as New Zealand and the US and the car is still running :) It depends on whether the car is worth it to you. Japanese cars are pretty reliable, so if you find a unmolested example, its hardly going to need repairs everyday.

@nsiva - In terms of body panels and interior panels its all the same the hardest of them would be to sort the lights to your specific model year. Coz both headlights (Black line outter rim of the light) and tail lights have a black base at the lower part of the light. this purticular problem you dont have in the 96 model.

when it comes to engines, you can't except to walk in to a spareparts shop and get certain parts for the 4AGE. you can find these parts in an around Kurunagala and Nugegoda too had places to source them.

@iRage - yeah she isn't with me now, moved on to another more different sorta animal ;)

@iRage - yeah she isn't with me now, moved on to another more different sorta animal ;)

Was tempted everytime I saw the advert but timing simply was not right. Couldn't believe the price I saw on the last advert

Heard rumors of a blue beast...so this is it huh ? Nice...is it an Auto ? actual TT (seen a few non turbos that cosmetically look like it) ?