• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Petition Hybrid

asanka791

I think it is a great outcome as

1. As mentioned above common sense has prevailed and the truly affected are being given a concession

2. The Imports for business purposes (Car sales etc) are not being given free piggyback ride on those affected parties and therefore will be dealt with the new tax system.

Here a curve ball, how many of these personnel importers have genuinely ordered a car for their personnel use and not for resell? and how many of them will now end up selling their car due to the price advantage they received?

Anyway as some has already mentioned, congratulations and a pat in the back to the group of individuals who started this protest/movement, it was bit sad to see that there wasn't as much support/encouragement from AL.

• Like 2

I think it is a great outcome as

1. As mentioned above common sense has prevailed and the truly affected are being given a concession

2. The Imports for business purposes (Car sales etc) are not being given free piggyback ride on those affected parties and therefore will be dealt with the new tax system.

Still can't believe it as the shock created by this budget is too high. Could anyone please explain how this to work. Should we register the vehicle at the same time ??
Edited by Wasa

Here a curve ball, how many of these personnel importers have genuinely ordered a car for their personnel use and not for resell? and how many of them will now end up selling their car due to the price advantage they received?

Anyway as some has already mentioned, congratulations and a pat in the back to the group of individuals who started this protest/movement, it was bit sad to see that there wasn't as much support/encouragement from AL.

I know! but there is only one or two way i can think of they can make it harder to misuse (Can't stop it though).

You pay the full tax at point of clearance, Once u register under ur own name the difference is reimbursed.

But don't think that is practical as people will have to find the extra money to pay tax at 1st and with transfers @ RMV people can get around it.

Other way is to let them clear it at old rates and put a flag in RMV systems to monitor the registration changes of those chassis numbers, so if any transfer happens they can catch it. But that would lead to the old permit system, where you sign an agreement/contract and run the car under the original owners name without doing a transfer.

Edited by B2Spirit

Any way this will be a good time to buy Hybrid in Japanese auction as prices have crashed.

Incremental effect on the new tax for a person importing now will be about Rs. 200-300k for a small hybrid (FIT/Aqua)

Can you offset 7 lakhs of tax increases even with auction price reduction ? for that to happen the auction price has to drop by around 300k-400 JPY. But for these small cars i think that would be hard.

And the JPY seems to be reverting back to an upward curve this week which could have an impact as well.

Can you offset 7 lakhs of tax increases even with auction price reduction ? for that to happen the auction price has to drop by around 300k-400 JPY. But for these small cars i think that would be hard.

And the JPY seems to be reverting back to an upward curve this week which could have an impact as well.

It has droped by JPY 300-400k (FIT/Aqua/Axio/Vezel) it looks like auctions are pilling up with unsold Hybrids after our mini budget

People have become cynical man....

Shit got serious me thinks... ROFL!!!

Courtesy of a FB page called... wait for it... Hybrid Dream Loosers... :)

10978686_10206053946127291_2478156797624

If the numbers are true loss of expected revenue if concessions are given would be

3,000 * 650,000 = 1.95 Bn. How would one expect the govt. recover this they will have to increase taxes from other sources, may be essential items.

Besides I don’t think all 3,000 of them are personal imports, they may be much less.

Importers can absorb this cost cos they were making 300-400 k on each vehicle and they doge tax too.

Wow I didnt know the SL buyers had that big an effect on the jap market :o

May be on the 2nd hand market. Not many countries importing Jap 2nd hand. I know there are some shipments to Eastern Europeian countries but they prefer europeian second hand vehicals overland. Africa gets near scrap from all over. Midle east / Arabia prefer American second hand.

Let me check withmy colleague who is an industry veteran, just for info.

May be on the 2nd hand market. Not many countries importing Jap 2nd hand. I know there are some shipments to Eastern Europeian countries but they prefer europeian second hand vehicals overland. Africa gets near scrap from all over. Midle east / Arabia prefer American second hand. Let me check withmy colleague who is an industry veteran, just for info.

The Gulf countries are all left-hand drive so no use looking to Japan for 2nd hand vehicles.

I wonder why India isn't a huge market for Japanese 2nd hand cars. Is it that import duties makes them uncompetetive against the local brands?

May be on the 2nd hand market. Not many countries importing Jap 2nd hand. I know there are some shipments to Eastern Europeian countries but they prefer europeian second hand vehicals overland. Africa gets near scrap from all over. Midle east / Arabia prefer American second hand. Let me check withmy colleague who is an industry veteran, just for info.

Large lot of 2nd hand Japanese vehicles are sent to African countries and Russia

I just went through the topic from start to the end...just got a feeling that If a person can afford nearly 4-5 million for a hybrid, why not extra 1 million...as some of the members pin pointed, I guess most of those importers stretched their budget up to the maximum possible...anyway the amount of tax increment also not fare enough I think...I have some friends who bought Vezzels for 6 million and was crying when it came down to 4.7 million...now they are very happy. On the other hand , people who bought Vezzels for 4.5 to 4.7 million and who are not happy with the performance now selling them for 5 million, keeping extra 300k profit... :sport-smiley-004: what a stupid turn around of the hybrid vehicle market...

I just went through the topic from start to the end...just got a feeling that If a person can afford nearly 4-5 million for a hybrid, why not extra 1 million...as some of the members pin pointed, I guess most of those importers stretched their budget up to the maximum possible...anyway the amount of tax increment also not fare enough I think...I have some friends who bought Vezzels for 6 million and was crying when it came down to 4.7 million...now they are very happy. On the other hand , people who bought Vezzels for 4.5 to 4.7 million and who are not happy with the performance now selling them for 5 million, keeping extra 300k profit... :sport-smiley-004: what a stupid turn around of the hybrid vehicle market...

Have they sold them for 5mil or asking 5mil?

• Like 1

I think Sri Lankan are stingy and should be punished for there ludicrous behavior, if they want to stretch out there budget and purchase a vehicle then purchase it when you have money and something which you can readily buy, it's a gamble ordering a vehicle and now whining that the taxes have gone up, no government should be in accommodation to anyone as they choose to import the vehicle entrusting an risk factor.

So now we have the TukTuk Lobby, the Bus owner's lobby, the CAr importers lobby, and now teh latest, Hybrid Dream looser's lobby.

This is a joke.

A few deciding the fate of many.

Lobbying is a part of democracy. All interest groups will have their own groups lobbying for their interests.

It is NOT a joke. It is EXACTLY how it is supposed to work.

How else would the peoples interests be represented. Would it come in a dream to politicians.

It is not a case of the few deciding the fate of many. That is the parliment. This is the counter balance to that. If you have an opposing viewpoint macho, you need to form your own lobby :)

Activism always trumps moaning about it :D ha ha ha

Lobbying is a part of democracy. All interest groups will have their own groups lobbying for their interests.

It is NOT a joke. It is EXACTLY how it is supposed to work.

How else would the peoples interests be represented. Would it come in a dream to politicians.

It is not a case of the few deciding the fate of many. That is the parliment. This is the counter balance to that. If you have an opposing viewpoint macho, you need to form your own lobby :)

Activism always trumps moaning about it :D ha ha ha

Activism? In this country? Are you mad?

Talking about good governance in this country after 50+ years of f**ked up politics is like a 18 year old Virgin bride extolling the virtues and joys of sex the night after her honeymoon... and writing a book about it.. with pictures and all :)

We are barely half way through this 100 day drama and you cant exactly talk about democracy, just because we exchanged one bunch of morons with another.

As for creating a lobby... I So far need nothing from this government nor any to come.... just let us poor folk be. Dena deyak kaala, wena deyak balaa gena innawa ohey ithin... :)

Edited by VVTi

Activism? In this country? Are you mad?

Talking about good governance in this country after 50+ years of f**ked up politics is like a 18 year old Virgin bride extolling the virtues and joys of sex the night after her honeymoon... and writing a book about it.. with pictures and all :)

We are barely half way through this 100 day drama and you cant exactly talk about democracy, just because we exchanged one bunch of morons with another.

As for creating a lobby... I So far need nothing from this government nor any to come.... just let us poor folk be. Dena deyak kaala, wena deyak balaa gena innawa ohey ithin... :)

Yako, this has nothing to do with the 100 day program or even the current government. Lobbying groups is part and parcel of democracy and news flash, we've always had them. Some were more effective than others.

As for what happened in this particular scneario, this was ALWAYS what used to happen, and successive governments before the last always allowed people who had opened LC under a previous tax regime to clear their vehicles under the same rules. In a country where the tax regime changes at the rate girls change cloths, you need to have something like that.

Of course you don't care because you weren't affected and I know for a fact you won't be buying a hybrid anytime soon :) The same can be said about me, so this is just some friendly sparring :)

But there are things I would like to lobby for as well.

1. A reduction in customs duty for personal car part imports (already larger importers import at significant discounts while customs take it out on the guys trying to import a sensor or two).

2. A reduction in customs duty for rubber products not manufactured in Sri Lanka including tyre sizes not manufactured by local manufacturers (I'm all for protecting local industries but you need to have a common sense policy)

3. For the vehicle duty on new vehicles to be based on enviromental impact (not merely hybrid, diesel etc). Every manufacturer is now required to publish this information and while it is not accurate in real world, it provides a basis for comparison.